GDT: Canes v Toothy Fish

SlavinAway

Registered Jerk
Sponsor
Jul 7, 2017
Serious question: are refs made of stone or something? This isn't even shit talking Tony, I feel like, rare as it is, most of the time when there's a collision like this the players end up getting rocked and the refs are fine.

Screw Jordan Staal teaching the young kids to use the body to protect the puck, bring a former ref in to training camp.
I would wager that in most cases the player realizes they're going to make contact and pull up to lessen the impact.

Joe McGrath

Oct 29, 2009
I'm guessing it would do little more than highlight just how thin skinned the refs are nowadays. Would probably show that the ref actually instigated the whole thing, too
This is just anecdotal because I don’t know the stats but I feel like guys getting unsportsmanlike penalties is way down from where it was in the past.

And Rod goes ballistic on the refs all the time and I can’t remember any bench minors or ejections.

Baseball and basketball are a joke with that though.

DaveG

Noted Jerk
Apr 7, 2003
Winston-Salem NC
This is just anecdotal because I don’t know the stats but I feel like guys getting unsportsmanlike penalties is way down from where it was in the past.

And Rod goes ballistic on the refs all the time and I can’t remember any bench minors or ejections.

Baseball and basketball are a joke with that though.
Honestly baseball officiating overall is a joke. There have been some shit refs over the years in the NHL but even Mick McGeough or Tim Peel don't hold a candle to the complete and total shit show that are Angel Hernandez and CB Bucknor.

WreckingCrew

Feb 4, 2015

If you got elbowed in the face by the ref who then proceeds to shit talk you as you skate away, you'd probably say something, too.

There were about 6-7 instances just in the first period that I saw where I know our guys were probably thinking "GET THE f*** OUT OF THE WAY". We lost the puck at least twice in the o-zone because we had to go around an oblivious ref, screwed up a few passes because they were in the passing lane, etc. This is just the icing on the cake...yea it was an honest mistake with no ill-intent, and TDA probably shouldn't have said anything, but when the refs are dogshit all game at some point you're gonna snap and tell them off.

Looks like if we can stop giving up bullshit goals in the first we'd be a lot better off, as we seem to wake up by the 3rd. Defense just disappearing has directly led to most of our GA so far...can't just leave a guy completely open for a breakaway like they did on their FIRST SHOT AGAINST. Our goalies have to be better too, I know most of the goals they let in last night were tough and can't really blame them, but they're not stealing anything either like Blackwood did.

Our PP is starting to click, even if it's a bit inconsistent from one to the next, overall it's working solid so far. Our PK...is kind of a mess...I mean somehow we have 4 SHG already but also have a crap PK% so far. I mean, I guess if you have 4 PPGA but 4 SHGF, that evens out, so it's kinda like having 100% PK? Who would have guessed we'd score 6 goals without Svech & Aho? It's nice to see Turbo having a resurgent season so far for sure! And Slavin-Burns was killing it in the 1st from what I saw last night.

Blueline Bomber

AI Generated Minnesota Wild
Sponsor
Oct 31, 2007

If you got elbowed in the face by the ref who then proceeds to shit talk you as you skate away, you'd probably say something, too.

That was only the two minute minor. Which, yeah, probably shouldn’t have been called.

The misconduct came at the end of the period, when Tony got out of the box, skated over to the same official and apparently said something that got him the misconduct. And then began the third period by chirping that official from the box.

Its a good thing RBA stapled him to the bench in the third, because he absolutely would have taken another penalty before the night was over.

Joe McGrath

Oct 29, 2009
so, I'm not Jomboy, but definitely looks like he's saying "cmon (gets up) get outta the f***ing way" which... yeah that probably shouldn't be a 2 minute in a situation like that.
Was the call right there or did it continue? If that’s all that happened you can’t call that.

Joe McGrath

Oct 29, 2009
Honestly baseball officiating overall is a joke. There have been some shit refs over the years in the NHL but even Mick McGeough or Tim Peel don't hold a candle to the complete and total shit show that are Angel Hernandez and CB Bucknor.
Don’t forget Joe West. Isn’t he the one that blew a perfect game on the last out at first base on a not all that close call?

DaveG

Noted Jerk
Apr 7, 2003
Winston-Salem NC
Was the call right there or did it continue? If that’s all that happened you can’t call that.
based on his reaction at the end of the vid I'd say that's when the call happened. Can't really tell and I'll try to re-watch tonight as it might have been the ref saying something back to him which set him off, but I would think the vid would be longer if that were the case.

Reactions: AhosDatsyukian

DaveG

Noted Jerk
Apr 7, 2003
Winston-Salem NC
Don’t forget Joe West. Isn’t he the one that blew a perfect game on the last out at first base on a not all that close call?
Yep, though I think West was one of those guys that just hung on way past his best by date. I remember during the 80s and early 90s (when I really followed baseball closely more than any other sport) that he was usually regarded as one of the better umps in the game.

Reactions: cptjeff

Svechhammer

THIS is hockey?
Jun 8, 2017
Jim Joyce, who was always one of the better umpires and absolutely owned that he got it wrong in the post-game. One of the few times I remember seeing an ump actually address the media, to be honest.

This was him the very next day:

Reactions: cptjeff and DaveG

Boom Boom Apathy

I am the Professor. Deal with it!
Sep 6, 2006
Looks like if we can stop giving up bullshit goals in the first we'd be a lot better off, as we seem to wake up by the 3rd. Defense just disappearing has directly led to most of our GA so far...can't just leave a guy completely open for a breakaway like they did on their FIRST SHOT AGAINST.
Unfortunately, that one was Slavin going in deep for a shot and Burns not dropping back and no forward covering high. So far this season, Slavin appears to be a lot more aggressively offensively than he was last year and the year before. Maybe it's a case of he was playing it safe as he got used to TDA and Burns the last two seasons, but now that he has some familiarity with Burns, he's being more aggressive. They'll figure it out over time.

I agree though, the defensive coverage needs work but I think that will tighten up with more games.

Our goalies have to be better too, I know most of the goals they let in last night were tough and can't really blame them, but they're not stealing anything either like Blackwood did.

Meh, Blackwood also gave up two really leaky goals in the 3rd so while he made some great saves the first two periods, he was awful in the third.

As far as our goals against last night:
1) having to see a breakaway on the first shot you see has to be an almost worst case scenario for a goalie. No prior shots to start getting in a groove, just BAM.
2) The 2nd goal there was nothing Raanta could do. Watching it again, there was so much traffic he didn't even see it and the shot was to the right post as he was drifting left (the way Zadina was skating).
3) The 3rd goal was just a lucky bounce and nobody covering the guy right on the doorstep. I don't know, maybe Rant could have gotten back more but he's out of the net contesting the shot in the first place.

Our PP is starting to click, even if it's a bit inconsistent from one to the next, overall it's working solid so far. Our PK...is kind of a mess...I mean somehow we have 4 SHG already but also have a crap PK% so far. I mean, I guess if you have 4 PPGA but 4 SHGF, that evens out, so it's kinda like having 100% PK? Who would have guessed we'd score 6 goals without Svech & Aho? It's nice to see Turbo having a resurgent season so far for sure! And Slavin-Burns was killing it in the 1st from what I saw last night.
If your recall, our PK took time last year to find it's groove. IIRC, a poster commenting on it and attributing some of that to the loss of Trocheck. They found their groove after about 20 games though. The PK is the least of my concerns right now.

EDIT: last year, through 11/15 (16 games), the Canes PK was 78% which was 17th in the NHL. From that point on, it was 86.3% which was the best in the NHL over that stretch. I just randomly picked 11/15 as the date since I remember this being a discussion in mid Nov.

Last edited:

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad