Canes Top 20 Prospects: #5, take 2

DaveG

Noted Jerk
Apr 7, 2003
Winston-Salem NC
Well, the last three have gone as expected after seeing a semi-surprising pick of Dalpe over Murphy for #1.

1: C Zac Dalpe: 32 votes, 61.54%
2: D Ryan Murphy: 36 votes, 87.80%
3: D Justin Faulk: 21 votes, 40.38%
4: LW Zach Boychuk, 24 votes, 54.76%

expecting this one to be quick as well before the real fun begins.

Anton Dubinchuk

aho
Sponsor
Jul 18, 2010
Atlanta, GA
Well, Nash, but yeah, Dubinsky ruined it. Not sure if it's a behind the scenes joke that no one's caught onto yet, or if he legit thinks Nash is a top prospect, but whatever...

Finlandia WOAT

js7.4x8fnmcf5070124
May 23, 2010
Well, Nash, but yeah, Dubinsky ruined it. Not sure if it's a behind the scenes joke that no one's caught onto yet, or if he legit thinks Nash is a top prospect, but whatever...

I think he meant to click on Murphy on the first one, and clicked Nash by mistake.

Ever sense, he has seen the error of his ways and voted for Nash every time.

I wonder if he is trying to start something new... :sarcasm:

Anton Dubinchuk

aho
Sponsor
Jul 18, 2010
Atlanta, GA
I figure Kivisto, Rissanen, Lindstrom, Blanchard, Andersen, Mahalak, and the two other Sutters are good options. Not sure after that, not that there will be many more polls after that.

I guess throw Dodge on there for old time's sake, although it looks more and more like he's gonna be in the AHL for a LONG time...

Anton Dubinchuk

aho
Sponsor
Jul 18, 2010
Atlanta, GA
Just rattling off some other ones here:

Matsumoto
Krueger
Bellemore
Lawson
Stahl
Staal
Pistilli
Lalonde-McNicholl
Borer

Those are really the only other ones we haven't mentioned that deserve to be on there...

Boom Boom Apathy

I am the Professor. Deal with it!
Sep 6, 2006
I remember almost everybody, myself included, had a bone for that kid at the time of the trade. He's looking more like Noah Babin every day from Francis.

I'm not there yet. He's had 1 AHL season after coming out of college. Not saying he's destined to be a full time NHL player or anything, but I'm willing to give him some time to develop. Bowman hasn't exactly impressed in the AHL over 2 seasons (and shown little in the way of offensive progress), but nobody is particularly down on him for that reason.

Nash's first AHL season wasn't stellar: (79 games, 32 points (14G, 18A) and a +5), but it was a first season. For me it will depend what strides he takes this coming season. With Dalpe most likely gone, McFlicker (sp?) gone, one of Boychuk and Bowman likely gone, Osala gone, and Samson probably gone, there is a chance for him to step up. If he can take his game up a notch and improve on last season, then I think he has a chance. If he doesn't take that next step, there will soon be other young players/new draftees that will surpass him.

Anton Babchuk

Nov 3, 2005
Raleigh-Durham
twitter.com
I'm amazed how Bowman is still highly rated as a prospect and got two serious votes here as a Top 5 prospect, yet Nash is a bust.

Bowman is the same age as Nash (two months older, actually) and in his second pro season and posted a stunning .58PPG. Nash had .41PPG. This is with Bowman having 11 powerplay points to Nash's 2, which likely indicates significantly more powerplay time. In terms of even strength points, Bowman had 19 in 51 games while Nash had 30 in 79.

That means that Nash, the bust, put up better even strength numbers than Bowman while being younger and in his first pro season.

So what makes Bowman so good? Is it that he is big and skates well? What else does he do? Nothing, as far as I can tell.

If Nash were to be given all the powerplay time that Bowman got, would he have scored less than the stunning .58PPG Bowman put up? If he played 23 games in the NHL, would he score fewer than one point?

I think the big issue here is that Nash was drafted by another team, and hasn't been obsessively followed and overrated by our fanbase for the last four years. If Bowman is drafted by the Oilers, we aren't going crazy over him scoring 3000 goals in juniors and thus we have no "potential" to fawn over, as 62 points over two AHL seasons and nonexistent production in the NHL doesn't give us much hope.

Nash >>>> Bowman and everyone else

caniacnation

Apr 1, 2007
Raleigh, NC
Voted for Dumo

I think in general people expect too much out of prospects their first year in the AHL. People seem to think that every first round offensive guy needs to put up a point/game or he has become a bust. The AHL is a tough league and it's the first time that these kids can't get by on their talent alone. If a first round pick gets to the AHL and isn't ready for the physical demands of a professional league. I'm not saying these kids are lazy, but they are entering a completely different world of physical preparation.

When we acquired Nash we knew he was a project, there has never been a doubt about that. Now that he is taking the time of a project, people seem down on him. I think this is a case of we aren't use to having a large amount of prospects that could turn into good players. Heck, our second round pick from this draft who has insane upside might not be one of our top 10 prospects.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad