Confirmed with Link: Canes to Host 2023 Stadium Series Game at Carter-Finley Stadium (2/18/23 vs Washington)

garnetpalmetto

Jerkministrator
Jul 12, 2004
Durham, NC
Petey Pab

Just for the reaction when the traditionalists don't get their generic mediocre country/pop rock fix

Add in G. Yamazawa and J. Cole to that and you could be on to something. Yamazawa alone would blow some minds - a Japanese-American rapping about being Bull City born and bred and cornbread fed and about Carolina barbeque with slaw?

HisIceness

This is Hurricanes Hockey
Sep 16, 2010
Charlotte
Petey Pab

Just for the reaction when the traditionalists don't get their generic mediocre country/pop rock fix

The reaction here at HFBoards will be what is always is, something like "LMAO this guys washed up he hasn't been relevant in 15 years lol NHL can't get big name acts".

Yet when they do get Dan and Shay to do the Winter Classic in Dallas (not my favorite but they're relevant) it's "OMG why aren't they getting Pantera? NHL is so behind the times!".

Reactions: DaveG

Ms Maggie

Apr 11, 2017
Pens fan here. Local media seems to think it will be the Pens due to JR connection. Seems kinda feeble to me.

Went to game at Heinz Field. Fun experience. Seats towards top of lower bowl. Watched a lot of the game on the jumbotron.

Svechhammer

THIS is hockey?
Jun 8, 2017
Pens fan here. Local media seems to think it will be the Pens due to JR connection. Seems kinda feeble to me.

Went to game at Heinz Field. Fun experience. Seats towards top of lower bowl. Watched a lot of the game on the jumbotron.
No offense, I don't want a traditional market in this game. We have established our brand over the last couple years as bucking the trends laid before, and I hope this event continues that mindset. Give us another non-traditional market so we can feature two new franchises to show that the league doesn't have to include one of the same 5 or 6 teams to be good. Which, given the fact that the better players on Chicago, Washington, Pitt, etc are all about to age out and the league will need a new generation to carry the torch in the lead future, isn't a bad opportunity to start showcasing new teams just in case.

CanesUltimate11

Nov 24, 2008
Northern Virginia
No offense, I don't want a traditional market in this game. We have established our brand over the last couple years as bucking the trends laid before, and I hope this event continues that mindset. Give us another non-traditional market so we can feature two new franchises to show that the league doesn't have to include one of the same 5 or 6 teams to be good. Which, given the fact that the better players on Chicago, Washington, Pitt, etc are all about to age out and the league will need a new generation to carry the torch in the lead future, isn't a bad opportunity to start showcasing new teams just in case.

Given that the numbers for the Colorado game apparently were not good I fully expect NBC to strong arm Pitt, Philly or the Rangers into this game.

Svechhammer

THIS is hockey?
Jun 8, 2017
Given everything going on with COVID-19 right now, and Brian Burke going on the radio saying there's a growing belief in the league we won't see another game until 2021, I wonder if we'll eventually see this game delayed a year as well?

hblueridgegal

Timing is Everything
Sponsor
Sep 13, 2019
Old North State
NHL's Steve Mayer addresses all uncertainties - including Canes' 2021 outdoor game - WRAL/ADAM GOLD SHOW

With the hockey season up in the air as of now, NHL Chief Content Officer Steve Mayer could understandably be cagey about who the Hurricanes' opponent will be in their 2021 outdoor game at Carter-Finley Stadium on February 20.

"We're on a pause, obviously, and I'll use that as an excuse," Mayer said when he joined The Adam Gold Show on Thursday and Gold jokingly pressed him on the topic. "Listen, there's so much there's up in the air and the opponent for next year's game in Carolina is also one of those things that's still up in the air."

DaveG

Noted Jerk
Apr 7, 2003
Winston-Salem NC
Up in the air??

Flyers or Jets, I guess. Maybe Lightning.
Clearly Arizona

giphy.gif

Surrounded By Ahos

Las Vegas Desert Ducks Official Team Poster
Sponsor
May 24, 2008
Koko Miami
Only reason I remember it. No idea who scored the first goal, although it may have been a shutout now that I think about it.

I had no idea the Bulin wall played for Phoenix. Way before my time.

Their first goal was their next game (against Boston, so f***’em) by Mike Gartner en route to a hat trick. Our old friend Oleg Tverdovsky also scored for the Coyotes that game.

HisIceness

Sep 16, 2010
Charlotte
Forget the outdoor game, imagine the hilarity on the main board and especially on reddit and twitter of a Hurricanes/Coyotes Stanley Cup Final. Lets make it happen.

Svechhammer

THIS is hockey?
Jun 8, 2017
With the Global Series just postponed for this year, have to expect things like the All-Star Game, Winter Classic, and Stadium Series will be next

A Star is Burns

Formerly Azor Aho
Sponsor
Dec 6, 2011

I get the feeling this is just delaying the inevitable

If it gets delayed, it sucks, but the NHL is pretty good about making these things up for teams usually. It's better to make sure we get the full experience than get it this year if you can't get the full experience.

HisIceness

Sep 16, 2010
Charlotte
Sorry to quote John Fox here, but it is what it is. We'll get it eventually even if it can't happen next year.

Would suck though if Feb 21st was perfect weather for it and our make-up date it rains or is warmer than average or whatever. Of course that would suck under normal conditions too, but you get the gist.

A Star is Burns

Formerly Azor Aho
Sponsor
Dec 6, 2011
I too was quite happy to see it finally officially postponed. It's the right decision to make sure we get the event we deserve and have waited for. Hopefully, the NHL makes good on it sooner rather than later. They're usually pretty good about making up events that were promised.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad