Confirmed with Link: Canes to Host 2023 Stadium Series Game at Carter-Finley Stadium (2/18/23 vs Washington)

AD Skinner

Mar 18, 2009
bubble bath
Maybe I'm reading into it something that isnt there, but that tweet says the caps "are not" the opponent... it doesnt say they "will not be" the opponent. I won't be heartbroken if it's not them, but I will be surprised

Reactions: Unsustainable

Svechhammer

THIS is hockey?
Jun 8, 2017

its-so-beautiful-crying-gif.gif

Chrispy

Salakuljettaja's Blues
Feb 25, 2009
Cary, NC
Maybe I'm reading into it something that isnt there, but that tweet says the caps "are not" the opponent... it doesnt say they "will not be" the opponent. I won't be heartbroken if it's not them, but I will be surprised

I don't think it would be that definitive of "are not" if it were up in the air. "Not decided yet" or "to be determined", but it sounds like a hard no from Washington's perspective.

A Star is Burns

Formerly Azor Aho
Sponsor
Dec 6, 2011
Hopefully this will end up much like the All Star Game. We had to hit certain benchmarks and assurances (especially in the form of season ticket holders) and even then they seemed hesitant to give it to us for a while. I still hear from national pundits, with no reason to bring it up, that we were one of the best All Star experiences they've been to. I'm sure we'll knock this out of the park too, especially given how well things are run in comparison to back then.

HisIceness

This is Hurricanes Hockey
Sep 16, 2010
Charlotte
Hopefully this will end up much like the All Star Game. We had to hit certain benchmarks and assurances (especially in the form of season ticket holders) and even then they seemed hesitant to give it to us for a while

I remember that, there were a few other requirements as well (Terminal 2 at RDU, hotel space and/or 4 or 5 star hotel, convention center etc.) IIRC everything that needed to "get done" was completed a year before Bettman came to Raleigh to make the official announcement. After that the city and team got down to business planning everything.

I still hear from national pundits, with no reason to bring it up, that we were one of the best All Star experiences they've been to

Yeah, there were a lot of glowing reviews of how Raleigh and the Canes handled that weekend w/ the Arena not being in Downtown and whatnot. Pierre McGuire himself said that was the best All-Star weekend he's been a part of (at that time). The city and the team spent a lot of time and money investing for that weekend and it showed.

I'm sure we'll knock this out of the park too, especially given how well things are run in comparison to back then.

Agreed. The only thing that should be concerning is the unpredictable weather, which hopefully will not put a damper on what should be an epic tailgate.

Nikishin Go Boom

Russian Bulldozer Consultent
Jul 31, 2017
I vote Tampa. They were our first game as a team and haven’t played in an outdoor game.

pitt was the first in NC.
Devils the first in Raleigh.

I’d be okay with any of those three.
Tampa-NJ-Pens in that order.

Reactions: Sigurd and DaveG

A Star is Burns

Formerly Azor Aho
Sponsor
Dec 6, 2011
I doubt they are going to wait this long, but it'd be great if we could wait until we hopefully make the playoffs and see what match up(s) we get. If we did get another Washington series, it'd be insane not to take advantage of that.

Reactions: WreckingCrew

3CanesInTheBox

Bunch of (Actual) Jerks
Sponsor
Feb 22, 2019
Chatmandu
honestly, i'll be happy if it is indeed not the caps. I hate that team, and don't want the buzz killed by potentially losing to them. there's no other team I can think of that would currently affect my mood as much. I think the bolts would be a terrific choice and a worthy franchise.

Reactions: Sigurd

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad