Confirmed with Link: Canes sign Kuokkanen

Boom Boom Apathy

I am the Professor. Deal with it!
Sep 6, 2006
He played this year in North America full time. He was in the Ontario Hockey League.

Yeah, I think (but am not sure) what Minjaben was saying, was there was some talk a while back about him not staying in the OHL next year, but heading back to Finland.

http://hfboards.mandatory.com/showpost.php?p=127607695&postcount=24

Aho's dad(GM for Finnish club Kärpät) isn't too happy with Kuokkanen and seems he like he will not be allowed to return to London or play in the AHL(needs to offered back since he is not a first round pick) by Kärpät. So NHL/Liiga next season.

http://www.suomikiekko.com/2017/02/k...is-amerikasta/

A Star is Burns

Formerly Azor Aho
Sponsor
Dec 6, 2011
KmUWt2S.png

absolutely_right_zoolander.gif

MinJaBen

Canes Sharks Boy
Sponsor
Dec 14, 2015
Durm
Yeah, I think (but am not sure) what Minjaben was saying, was there was some talk a while back about him not staying in the OHL next year, but heading back to Finland.

Yes. This was what I was thinking. Looking at his "stalled" development this year as well as his Finish club's feelings about how thinks in London are working, my guess is that he is not ready for the NHL next year and rather than play in the AHL, he moves back to Finland for next year then returns the following year to either the NHL or the AHL.

Lempo

Recovering Future Considerations Truther
Sponsor
Feb 23, 2014

I wonder how it is in the end. I understand there's something in the transfer agreement about that it has to be the player's first year in NA for the SML team to be allowed to demand his return upon the NHL tean trying to send him to the A, but in this case it would not be his first year.

But then again, as an OHL boy, can they put him to AHL because of the restrictions?

DaveG

Noted Jerk
Apr 7, 2003
Winston-Salem NC
I think they can because he wasn't drafted out of the OHL, much like the Canes did with Victor Rask a few years back. BUT, if he doesn't make the NHL the best place for him next season is the FEL honestly.

Lempo

Sponsor
Feb 23, 2014
Aho Sr. says in the article that another junior year doesn't come into question. He looks like very adamant that it's either NHL or Karpat for Kuokkanen next season.

Navin R Slavin

Fifth line center
Jan 1, 2011
Durrm NC
Aho Sr. says in the article that another junior year doesn't come into question. He looks like very adamant that it's either NHL or Karpat for Kuokkanen next season.

Hey, if Karpat becomes the NordiCanes, that's fine with me. Daddy Aho will have all the incentive in the world to get Kuokkanen into NHL shape.

Lempo

Sponsor
Feb 23, 2014
Not bad move, that. Authorative sources who know stuff say the men's game is more cerebral than the junior type dump&rush, and as the small rink seems not to be such an issue that's maybe exactly what he needs now to become NHL ready.

In the meantime Karpat do have use for a homebrew star on the team.

Lempo

Sponsor
Feb 23, 2014
If he's eligible for the AHL, why wouldn't the team want him there?

"Our home-grown boy and let's not forget a NHL 2nd round draftee. He's a high class promise for up regarding the next season.", says Aho sr.

They got a league to run in Finland too, and there's probably a logic behind why in the transfer agreements the Euro teams have demanded control over players who still are under contract to them if an NHL team is trying to play them in other league than NHL. The transfer fee buys an NHL team the player's services in NHL and some extra control on 1st round draftees under 20 years, but beyond that the Euro team has the say.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad