Confirmed with Link: Canes Sign De Haan To A Real Life Contract

TheReelChuckFletcher

Former TheRillestPaulFenton; Harverd Alum
Jun 30, 2011
Raleigh and Chapel Hill, NC
What would the Nucks be willing to pay for Bear? 3rd? Could the Canes squeeze a 2nd out of them? Or maybe a 5th or 6th to go with the 3rd. Or will they settle for a 4th?

I think it's a decent possibility that the Canes get a 2nd for Bear. RHD is the single most coveted depth position in the entire league, and it's more than Vancouver that needs righties among teams with actual playoff aspirations. As much as Ottawa is getting hyped, there are still massive holes, especially on RD. Ottawa is still playing Zaitsev in their top-4, as an example. Among their entire RH group, only Zub is truly up to snuff, and there's a distinct possibility that he walks in UFA if DeBrincat becomes the priority. I know that the Sens are big game hunting for Chychrun, but I have a nagging suspicion that Los Angeles is the favorite for him because they have so many top center prospects.

Last edited:
Reactions: mikeyfan

MinJaBen

Canes Sharks Boy
Sponsor
Dec 14, 2015
Durm
Contrary to popular belief, the guy on the pto holds all the cards.
Oh, I get he can leave whenever he wants, but with all the guys we can plug into the third pairing right now, I don’t see he has any negotiating leverage for a NTC of any kind.

Reactions: Tryamw

Sens1Canes2

May 13, 2007
I think it's a decent possibility that the Canes get a 2nd for Bear. RHD is the single most coveted depth position in the entire league, and it's more than Vancouver that needs righties among teams with actual playoff aspirations. As much as Ottawa is getting hyped, there are still massive holes, especially on RD. Ottawa is still playing Zaitsev in their top-4, as an example. Among their entire RH group, only Zub is truly up to snuff, and there's a distinct possibility that he walks in UFA if DeBrincat becomes the priority. I know that the Sens are big game hunting for Chychrun, but I have a nagging suspicion that Los Angeles is the favorite for him because they have so many top center prospects.
It’s not the thread topic … but Zaitsev is not in the top 4. I’ll eat my hat if he is.

I think he’s the 7th defenseman, if he’s not traded/dumped before the season starts. And that’s only because of his contract .

Svechhammer

THIS is hockey?
Jun 8, 2017
So apparently not much of a grudge

Screenshot_20221001-203240.png

Sigurd

Slavin, our Lord and Saver (AKA Extra Goalie)
Feb 4, 2018
North Carolina
I've been pleasantly surprised with how he's played. I thought he lost a step in Chicago but he looks basically like he did here the first time.
Between playing for a way better team in Carolina that doesn't stink and is a cup contender, and his struggle to get a contract, I'd say it's understandable he has looked better with us so far.

I can't comment based on my own observation. Tbh, I haven't streamed the pre-season games. I'd watch them if they were on TV though.

Good to hear though, and hopefully CDH shows he's still got it like when he used to play for us. If so, he's gonna be a great depth d-man (imagine saying he's depth for the CDH of old if he plays like he used to; our blue line is stacked), and really would strengthen the discussion/argument of Carolina having the best defense/blue line in the league.

Reactions: DaveG and geehaad

Navin R Slavin

Fifth line center
Jan 1, 2011
Durrm NC
What leverage does he have to get that?
"I want to play here and if you trade me I just won't play for that team and will injure-wait out the rest of the year" might work.

It's only a year, so it doesn't actually require much leverage because it's not that big an ask for a 1-year contract.

Reactions: geehaad

Cardiac Jerks

Asinine & immoral
Jan 13, 2006
Long Sault, Ontario
"I want to play here and if you trade me I just won't play for that team and will injure-wait out the rest of the year" might work.

It's only a year, so it doesn't actually require much leverage because it's not that big an ask for a 1-year contract.

Only time I can think of that happening was when the leafs traded Chad Kilger to florida at the deadline and instead of reporting he retired and went home to Cornwall where his daddy was the fire chief and immediately got a job as a firefighter.

Weird situation. He’s still a firefighter to this day as I’ve seen his name on recent sunshine lists.

Chrispy

Salakuljettaja's Blues
Feb 25, 2009
Cary, NC
I mean, the player was visibly and publicly quite annoyed at how it all went down when it did. Time, and winning, can heal many wounds.
de Haan admitted as much in the story Walt Ruff wrote during the PTO:

"I was sour for a little bit, especially after playing what I played through in the playoffs. I thought I was a big part of that run, but it is what it is. It's a business and I really have started to understand that as I'm getting older," de Haan spoke of the situation.

Stepan is the only righty they have who can win a faceoff. I’ll be surprised if he’s not signed soon.
And Stepan is not getting a better offer than Carolina's "Here's a seat in the press box; you'll get in for some games."

He was a good soldier in that weird role last year; I think he will be again this year. Just keep it around a million in case they have an issue when Pacioretty comes back.

TheReelChuckFletcher

Former TheRillestPaulFenton; Harverd Alum
Jun 30, 2011
Raleigh and Chapel Hill, NC
The thing that's difficult to evaluate about CDH is that Chicago truly stunk last year, so it's hard to tell whether he actually lost his game or if he lost motivation because of Shitty Team Syndrome. If he can prove that it was the latter and he reverts to his previous level of play, he would be about as good of a bottom-pairing guy as you can get in the NHL.

bleedgreen

Dec 8, 2003
colorado
Visit site
The thing that's difficult to evaluate about CDH is that Chicago truly stunk last year, so it's hard to tell whether he actually lost his game or if he lost motivation because of Shitty Team Syndrome. If he can prove that it was the latter and he reverts to his previous level of play, he would be about as good of a bottom-pairing guy as you can get in the NHL.
It could be neither. He could’ve been forced to play too many high quality minutes without enough support. He could’ve been perfectly motivated and have not lost any of his game, being overused in a role not suited to you without help can make anyone look bad.

I’m sure he’s lost some of his game since he was here but I don’t base any of that from his recent work in Chicago. Seth Jones….contrary to those who rate a player based only on their contract….. is a high end top pairing dman with skill in both directions and he didn’t look great for a good chunk of last year. He didn’t lose his game or lose motivation….that’s what playing on a bad team can look like when you’re a good player.

htdoc

Oct 30, 2018
As soon as he proved he was healthy enough in person through training camp practices and game action that doesn’t count, you knew this was coming. Brindy wants some veteran depth and doesn’t want to rely on a third pair of young guys. He has shown that in his time coaching so far…. Given most guys who could make it are RHD, it doesn’t matter if they can play well on their offside… Brindy wanted that vet who was a native LD…. Thankfully it was for essentially league minimum so gives max flexibility fofour salary cap and personnel moves as we go through the season here.. it would have been an entirely different situation if Gards had been healthy enough to make it through camp and part of the year…. Hate it for Gardiner that he couldn’t make it back. Never want to see a guys career end and especially the way it did…. That’s the hardest part of the business and fandom of the team, the human side of the players trying to stay with the club….

im a bit divided on this signing and de Han’s second stint….He has looked like a perfect solution for salary cap peanuts at times so far…….. and then also looked awful at times. Can’t gauge how much was a bit of a letdown after the contract signed and it being a preseason game so not going 100% full out..…

there was one good sequence yesterday where he and Bear were putting on a show throwing everything at the net back and forth from each side of the ice and getting like 4 shots through in like 10 seconds….

and then he got beat badly a couple times and it wasn’t a good look…. Although it took two to tango on a couple of them…. i need to find video of it to confirm my memory… but there was one attempted breakout where he turned the puck over and gave up the wide open counter attack 2 on 1 goal with Bear already leaving the zone and going up ice… they only put up 10 shots and really only had a couple good shifts in the game against us yesterday…. But it seemed like those good shifts were with him and Bear out there and unable to clear the zone… hopefully not a bit of foreshadowing…

if he is 90% of the old deHaan who was one of our best defensive dmen the last season he was here, this is a steal…. If he falls into stretches of play like I saw in Chicago the few games I watched randomly last year besides our games against them, then he might find himself in the press box and Coghlan playing his offside on our third pair……

spockBokk

Sep 8, 2013
As soon as he proved he was healthy enough in person through training camp practices and game action that doesn’t count, you knew this was coming. Brindy wants some veteran depth and doesn’t want to rely on a third pair of young guys. He has shown that in his time coaching so far…. Given most guys who could make it are RHD, it doesn’t matter if they can play well on their offside… Brindy wanted that vet who was a native LD…. Thankfully it was for essentially league minimum so gives max flexibility fofour salary cap and personnel moves as we go through the season here.. it would have been an entirely different situation if Gards had been healthy enough to make it through camp and part of the year…. Hate it for Gardiner that he couldn’t make it back. Never want to see a guys career end and especially the way it did…. That’s the hardest part of the business and fandom of the team, the human side of the players trying to stay with the club….

im a bit divided on this signing and de Han’s second stint….He has looked like a perfect solution for salary cap peanuts at times so far…….. and then also looked awful at times. Can’t gauge how much was a bit of a letdown after the contract signed and it being a preseason game so not going 100% full out..…

there was one good sequence yesterday where he and Bear were putting on a show throwing everything at the net back and forth from each side of the ice and getting like 4 shots through in like 10 seconds….

and then he got beat badly a couple times and it wasn’t a good look…. Although it took two to tango on a couple of them…. i need to find video of it to confirm my memory… but there was one attempted breakout where he turned the puck over and gave up the wide open counter attack 2 on 1 goal with Bear already leaving the zone and going up ice… they only put up 10 shots and really only had a couple good shifts in the game against us yesterday…. But it seemed like those good shifts were with him and Bear out there and unable to clear the zone… hopefully not a bit of foreshadowing…

if he is 90% of the old deHaan who was one of our best defensive dmen the last season he was here, this is a steal…. If he falls into stretches of play like I saw in Chicago the few games I watched randomly last year besides our games against them, then he might find himself in the press box and Coghlan playing his offside on our third pair……

Some one made the point earlier (on the game day thread I think) that Bear and CDH seem somewhat mismatched on a pairing as neither of them the fastest skaters. Coghlan and Chatfield both seem to be burners when comparing straight line speed to those 2. I find it odd that a CDH-Coghlan pairing hasn’t been fielded yet.

I wonder if that is coming in the next 2 preseason games, or if Brind’Amour will want to stick with what he knows in CDH-Bear til they find a taker for Bear.

Boom Boom Apathy

I am the Professor. Deal with it!
Sep 6, 2006
As soon as he proved he was healthy enough in person through training camp practices and game action that doesn’t count, you knew this was coming. Brindy wants some veteran depth and doesn’t want to rely on a third pair of young guys. He has shown that in his time coaching so far….

I think this is the key. Can he stay healthy. Maybe playing more sheltered/less minutes on the 3rd pairing will help in that regards.

I watched a bit of him in Chicago and read what a lot of Hawks fans wrote. While some of them were "he's shot and the worst defenseman on the team", there were others that said his injuries and playing through injuries really hampered him.

I suspect it's a little of what @TheRillestPaulFenton said and what @bleedgreen said and what you said. Nobody looked good on Chicago for much of last year and we've seen how that goes when we've had terrible teams. He probably was being asked to play in a role that was above his ability. And injuries probably contributed as well.

I agree though, if we get 90% of the deHann of old and he can stay healthy, it's a steal. Heck, even 80% of what he was would be good at this price.

GIN ANTONIC

Aug 19, 2007
Toronto, ON
Only time I can think of that happening was when the leafs traded Chad Kilger to florida at the deadline and instead of reporting he retired and went home to Cornwall where his daddy was the fire chief and immediately got a job as a firefighter.

Weird situation. He’s still a firefighter to this day as I’ve seen his name on recent sunshine lists.
Spezza basically said the same thing in his last few years in Toronto. Leafs put him on waivers to open up a roster spot (not due to bad play of Spezza) and he basically said ‘if anyone claims me I’m just going to retire’.

I guess it was a sign of respect that no team claimed him but I still don’t know why someone didn’t do it just to screw over Toronto (specifically us, as that would have been great), but I suppose they didn’t want to piss off another GM just to be a dick.

Last edited:

Cardiac Jerks

Asinine & immoral
Jan 13, 2006
Long Sault, Ontario
Spezza basically said the same thing in his last few years in Toronto. Leafs put him on waivers to open up a roster spot (not due to bad play of Spezza) and he basically said ‘if anyone claims me I’m just going to retire’.

I guess it was a sign of respect that no team claimed him but I still don’t know why someone didn’t do it just to screw over Toronto (specifically us, as that would have been great), but I suppose they didn’t want to piss off another GM just to be a dick.

Would have been funny. I mean, what’s Dubas going to do if you piss him off? Make you a generous contract offer?

Sens1Canes2

May 13, 2007
I think this is the key. Can he stay healthy. Maybe playing more sheltered/less minutes on the 3rd pairing will help in that regards.

I watched a bit of him in Chicago and read what a lot of Hawks fans wrote. While some of them were "he's shot and the worst defenseman on the team", there were others that said his injuries and playing through injuries really hampered him.

I suspect it's a little of what @TheRillestPaulFenton said and what @bleedgreen said and what you said. Nobody looked good on Chicago for much of last year and we've seen how that goes when we've had terrible teams. He probably was being asked to play in a role that was above his ability. And injuries probably contributed as well.

I agree though, if we get 90% of the deHann of old and he can stay healthy, it's a steal. Heck, even 80% of what he was would be good at this price.
It’s weird, at the beginning of free agency I saw one of those analytic guys say (and post the reference) that CDH was largely the same player, still. I think it was JFreshHockey on Twitter.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad