Confirmed with Link: Canes sign D Brendan Smith for 1 year 800K

Vagrant

The Czech Condor
Feb 27, 2002
North Carolina
Visit site
i think we're seeing a change in the way teams are going about keeping veteran players in the game. the idea of having a traveling squad of players ready to step in at any given moment was probably something that teams always wanted and covid made a reality. games at any level are so logistically challenging that rather than sign a guy to play in the ahl, teams are signing guys to basically be on standby in case someone fails a test. i think you're seeing a lot of guys that would have retired before going to ride buses in the ahl getting signed to deals like this one. especially if they're good for the room.

Chrispy

Salakuljettaja's Blues
Feb 25, 2009
Cary, NC
i think we're seeing a change in the way teams are going about keeping veteran players in the game. the idea of having a traveling squad of players ready to step in at any given moment was probably something that teams always wanted and covid made a reality. games at any level are so logistically challenging that rather than sign a guy to play in the ahl, teams are signing guys to basically be on standby in case someone fails a test. i think you're seeing a lot of guys that would have retired before going to ride buses in the ahl getting signed to deals like this one. especially if they're good for the room.

That's possible, although I don't know if the non-roster taxi squad will continue moving forward. Daly said the taxi squads would go away in a "post-Covid world". Will we be there in the fall?

We've seen that Carolina was hesitant to use cap space on healthy extras the past couple seasons; preferring to bank that cap space for the deadline and then use it on overages from bonuses. With most of those bonuses past, will they start using all 23 slots on the active roster or remain at 20 and use emergency call-ups as needed? It's an interesting question.

chaz4hockey

Sponsor
Jan 21, 2021
Naples, FL
Meh. He’s awful.

btw: I’m usually an optimist but the Covid storm clouds are on the horizon.

I’m fearful that the fall will return us to limited attendance and Covid taxi squads.

WreckingCrew

Feb 4, 2015
But why? / Meh

Cheap depth, another former Ranger to maybe keep TDA reeled in? Insurance if he doesn't pan out or if Gards is IT/traded. Low risk contract so hard to hate

Boom Boom Apathy

I am the Professor. Deal with it!
Sep 6, 2006

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad