lol stupid mickey mouse organization
Apr 7, 2008
Raleigh
Haydn is such a dreamy name.

yKG2zfd.jpg

Last edited:
Jul 10, 2003
KW
The only thing that remains in question for me is Faulk's offensive upside. I think his defensive game is growing faster than his offensive game and in order to really become a true number one, I think the offensive game has to come through stronger.

I think the offense is there. Fleury sees the ice extremely well in both zones, and his decision making is excellent as well, but leaning to the smart/safe type of plays...that's whats held back his offensive production thus far, but I have a feeling he will explode offensively this season. His skating doesn't get enough praise, he can go coast to coast in the blink of an eye.

As a Leafs fan, despite having too many lefties on D, Fleury was on my 'wanted' list, which did not include Ritchie.

TheOllieC

cajun filet
Jul 12, 2013
Charlotte, NC
I think the offense is there. Fleury sees the ice extremely well in both zones, and his decision making is excellent as well, but leaning to the smart/safe type of plays...that's whats held back his offensive production thus far, but I have a feeling he will explode offensively this season. His skating doesn't get enough praise, he can go coast to coast in the blink of an eye.

As a Leafs fan, despite having too many lefties on D, Fleury was on my 'wanted' list, which did not include Ritchie.

He was talking about Faulk but yes that's a good summarization of Fleury's game.

nobuddy

Oct 13, 2010
Nowhere
Nice boy Haydn Fleury is going to make a great top pairing defenseman for us for many years. #HotTake

NotOpie

"Puck don't lie"
Jun 12, 2006
North Carolina
Faulk and Fleury

I think they ultmately end up as our top pairing. Sekera is either resigned or not. We will likely make a run at Marc Staal (not just because he's a Staal, but because he's a good hockey player) next summer (if not sooner). So worst case is we end up with 3 #2's and Hainey in our top 4. We realistically also (Murphy, Carrick, Slavin, Lowe, Biega, Pesce, Rissanen) have 6 or 7 guys on the blueline that are potentially anywhere from 1 - 3 years away (if they make it at all).

Next year's going to be interesting because I don't think we spend to the cap and there will likely be turnover again in the bottom 6. But I do believe we begin to stabilize our back end. Fleury is key there as he'll likely slot in as a 2nd pairing guy initially (if Sekera is resigned) but that likely won't be until the 15-16 season. Over ime he and Faulk are our 1&2.

Boom Boom Apathy

I am the Professor. Deal with it!
Sep 6, 2006
Bump this to add a recent article about him as I didn't see this posted elsewhere.

http://www.sbnation.com/nhl/2014/11/5/7079907/haydn-fleury-profile-hurricanes-prospect

Some interesting comments:

That uptick in scoring, along with his size and speed, made Fleury a top prospect heading into the 2014 NHL Draft, where he was picked seventh overall by the Carolina Hurricanes -- the same club that picked Sutter's kid, Brandon, in 2007.

"It will be a good place for him," Sutter said of Carolina. "Ronnie [Francis] and Bill [Peters] know what they're doing down there."

Fleury could make the Canes' roster next October, but that's far from a given. Sutter and Truitt agree that Fleury's defense needs a lot of work. His vision, which has come a long way, has to keep getting better. Offensively, he needs to finish more chances and limit turnovers.

These improvements should come. According to Truitt, Fleury is showing the same kind of inner drive Weber and Keith displayed way back when.

The key, it appears, is to make sure Fleury isn't plucked out of Red Deer with haste.

"There's no quick fix, and those who develop the best are the ones put in situations to always succeed, not fail," Sutter said. "You see it happen too often when guys are rushed into playing. They don't get to the level they want."

"I truly think the world of Haydn," Sutter added. "He's not only a good hockey player, but a great person, a good teammate. We put a lot on his shoulders, and he can come back this year and be elite. I think he needs that.

"He can be a No. 1 defenseman in the NHL, and we'll get him ready as quick as we can."

Blueline Bomber

AI Generated Minnesota Wild
Sponsor
Oct 31, 2007
Everything said so far seems to indicate that Francis is building for the future, so if Fleury needs time, he'll likely get it.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad