Confirmed with Link: Canes select D Haydn Fleury 7th overall

Boom Boom Apathy

I am the Professor. Deal with it!
Sep 6, 2006
WTF. Picking a guy who has a name that means flower? Nick Richie was on the board. I mean NICK *** RICHIE and the Canes take a Jay Harrison clone. I'm done!!!

DISCUSS!

Sens1Canes2

May 13, 2007
"I hate this pick. By the way, what kind of defenseman is he? I know nothing about him..."

That's priceless.

Borsig

PoKechetkov
Nov 3, 2007
Low country coast
Would have been better with Nylander, but whatever.

I dont like the central scouting on this guy. Seems a strtech at 7. But I guess we still need D so.

TheOllieC

cajun filet
Jul 12, 2013
Charlotte, NC
I wanted a forward just because I felt the ones available had more upside.

Not mad though, just underwhelmed. With Lindholm last year and Fleury this year I can see the kind of players Ronnie is going for. Smart and poised. Should be at least a solid top 4 player one day.

Boom Boom Apathy

I am the Professor. Deal with it!
Sep 6, 2006
This was right where Fleury was ranked....so makes sense. And given how bad the Canes D has been for years, it's good to see them pick a defenseman who they thought was BPA.

I'm fine with it and we won't know for 3-4 years if it's the right move or not

DougieSmash

WE'RE IN! WE'RE IN! YES! YES! WOO!
Jan 2, 2009
When discussing Fleury and the upside he brings, Central Scouting will offer up a comparison to Jay Bouwmeester, someone who makes it look easy in his own end and can make the first quick pass out of the zone to jump-start a rush.
HayFley

Buenos Necas

lets go canes
Jul 18, 2009
Raleigh, NC
Pretty happy with this pick. Has good size, he's a very good skater, and is all around a good athlete. Definitely a very smart and poised player, will be a good defenseman for us. Sounds like he needs to work on consistency, but give him a year or two in the WHL and he'll be solid. We can build around him and Faulk.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad