Confirmed with Link: Canes re-sign C Clark Bishop - 1yr 700k/100k two-way

cptjeff

Reprehensible User
Sep 18, 2008
Washington, DC.
The new McKegg but with a normal name.
Eh, not as good as McKegg is. McKegg is a solid NHL depth guy who can drive play and even score some skill goals on occasion while providing physicality and defense. Bishop has non of the offensive upside and is less effective generally. He's a tweener who won't ever hurt you on a callup, but won't ever contribute much either. McKegg spent a lot of time being that tweener, but after his stint with us I think it was clear to the rest of the league what he really could do, and he's an NHL regular now, even though we couldn't keep him (to be clear, I wish we had). I don't think Bishop will ever make that transition. But that's not his role.

bleedgreen

Dec 8, 2003
colorado
Visit site
Eh, not as good as McKegg is. McKegg is a solid NHL depth guy who can drive play and even score some skill goals on occasion while providing physicality and defense. Bishop has non of the offensive upside and is less effective generally. He's a tweener who won't ever hurt you on a callup, but won't ever contribute much either. McKegg spent a lot of time being that tweener, but after his stint with us I think it was clear to the rest of the league what he really could do, and he's an NHL regular now, even though we couldn't keep him (to be clear, I wish we had). I don't think Bishop will ever make that transition. But that's not his role.
Mckegg got there by being a tweener for years though didn’t he? I don’t know that Bishop will ever have the poise with the puck Mckegg does and that’s your point, but that guy toiled for years developing his game. The four years difference between these two could level the field a bit, as I feel Mckegg was a lot closer to Bishop four years ago.

Bishop also has an intensity and hustle to his game that I feel fits his role better than Mckegg’s does to the same role. They could produce similar numbers at the same age (in a couple of years), just in different ways.

Canes

Oct 31, 2017
An Oblate Spheroid
McKegg literally has little to no offensive game at all (at least in the NHL). All of his production was mostly due to pure effort. Nothing wrong that as a 4th liner. I just feel Bishop has a similar feel to his game.
Mckegg got there by being a tweener for years though didn’t he? I don’t know that Bishop will ever have the poise with the puck Mckegg does and that’s your point, but that guy toiled for years developing his game. The four years difference between these two could level the field a bit, as I feel Mckegg was a lot closer to Bishop four years ago.

Bishop also has an intensity and hustle to his game that I feel fits his role better than Mckegg’s does to the same role. They could produce similar numbers at the same age (in a couple of years), just in different ways.
This.

Canes

Oct 31, 2017
An Oblate Spheroid
IMO, McKegg is a guy that if you are stuck with for 40 games on the 4th line, you’re ok, even if it’s not optimal. Bishop is a guy you can put on the 4th line for 5 games in a pinch and he won’t hurt you, but you don’t want him there any more than that.
But that's how a lot of teams originally felt with McKegg too. It took quite awhile for him to become that guy, only in the last 2-3 years at most.

Reactions: WreckingCrew

Boom Boom Apathy

I am the Professor. Deal with it!
Sep 6, 2006
But that's how a lot of teams originally felt with McKegg too. It took quite awhile for him to become that guy, only in the last 2-3 years at most.
When I look at their history and watch them play, I see McKeggs skills And offense are, and always have been better than Bishops.

True they both have to hustle and work hard to gain an NHL spot, so they are similar in that regard, but frankly that’s true of any 4th liner, or they wouldn’t be a 4th liner/tweener.

doesn’t really matter though, guys like bishop and McKegg are good to have in the system, but easily replaceable.

Reactions: WreckingCrew

Canes

Oct 31, 2017
An Oblate Spheroid
When I look at their history and watch them play, I see McKeggs skills And offense are, and always have been better than Bishops.

True they both have to hustle and work hard to gain an NHL spot, so they are similar in that regard, but frankly that’s true of any 4th liner, or they wouldn’t be a 4th liner/tweener.

doesn’t really matter though, guys like bishop and McKegg are good to have in the system, but easily replaceable.
Yeah I was going to say we've probably already expended too much energy on this discussion, ultimately both guys are players you hope you can replace with cheaper, younger guys with more potential by the time they're actually full time NHL capable players. That's why I think if Bishop is another McKegg, it'll probably be with another team than the one that drafted him much like it was with McKegg.

Reactions: DaveG

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad