GDT: Canes@Rangers

Joe McGrath

Oct 29, 2009
I’m not like a strategy theologian or whatever but without a rule around two line pass I don’t really see how you can run the trap like the devils used to. The trapezoid makes it harder too since you can’t have your goalie retrieve dump-ins anymore
You can’t. Trap is what stupid people call limiting scoring chances because that’s all they think it means.

Boom Boom Apathy

I am the Professor. Deal with it!
Sep 6, 2006
I’m not like a strategy theologian or whatever but without a rule around two line pass I don’t really see how you can run the trap like the devils used to. The trapezoid makes it harder too since you can’t have your goalie retrieve dump-ins anymore

Yes and no. The trap wasn't complicated, it was essentially having 1 forechecker go in and pressure the puck with essentially the other 4 guys in the neutral zone, or at least very high up in the offensive zone. The forechecker's job wasn't so much to disrupted the play/force a turnover, or to try to generate offense, it was to funnel the puck up on side of the ice or the other where the 2nd forward would be waiting and make it difficult for a pass or skater to get through.

Allowing a two line pass might allow some ability to stretch that out, but would still have to get that pass through 4 -5 players in the neutral zone, which would be difficult. The trap clogged the neutral zone by having 4-5 guys in it.

The "trapezoid" rule probably would help the trap more than hurt it. Goalies being able to handle the puck more would allow almost a 6th skater in terms of moving the puck up the ice before the players could execute the trap. Limiting where a goalie can play the puck would help the trap IMO.

The Canes don't do this at all though. They almost always have 2-3 forecheckers in and their D doesn't hang back at all. They play the puck aggressively at the offensive blue line making it hard to get the puck out. The forwards work hard to get back and support a pinching D and dog the puck. The D play very tight gaps in the neutral zone and are good skaters with active sticks, thus making it hard to generate chances.

It's also why when the Canes aren't on their game or someone make a mistake, they can give up more odd man rushes and high quality chances. With D playing that aggressively, a mistake can lead to a 2-1.

Discipline Daddy

Brentcent Van Burns
Nov 27, 2009
Raleigh, NC
Yes and no. The trap wasn't complicated, it was essentially having 1 forechecker go in and pressure the puck with essentially the other 4 guys in the neutral zone, or at least very high up in the offensive zone. The forechecker's job wasn't so much to disrupted the play/force a turnover, or to try to generate offense, it was to funnel the puck up on side of the ice or the other where the 2nd forward would be waiting and make it difficult for a pass or skater to get through.

Allowing a two line pass might allow some ability to stretch that out, but would still have to get that pass through 4 -5 players in the neutral zone, which would be difficult. The trap clogged the neutral zone by having 4-5 guys in it.

The "trapezoid" rule probably would help the trap more than hurt it. Goalies being able to handle the puck more would allow almost a 6th skater in terms of moving the puck up the ice before the players could execute the trap. Limiting where a goalie can play the puck would help the trap IMO.

The Canes don't do this at all though. They almost always have 2-3 forecheckers in and their D doesn't hang back at all. They play the puck aggressively at the offensive blue line making it hard to get the puck out. The forwards work hard to get back and support a pinching D and dog the puck. The D play very tight gaps in the neutral zone and are good skaters with active sticks, thus making it hard to generate chances.

It's also why when the Canes aren't on their game or someone make a mistake, they can give up more odd man rushes and high quality chances. With D playing that aggressively, a mistake can lead to a 2-1.
Yes thank you. People are completely f***ing idiotic who suggest that the Canes play a boring trap style. That's just not true and it's not backed up by data or the eye test.

Our game is 1000% about forechecking. It's blindingly obvious if you watch the team and watch any other team in the league. No one else forechecks like the Canes (No one forechecks like Gaston). A team can beat our forechecking with really clean and fast stretch passes, but for whatever reason the Rangers couldn't get much of that going last night.

Discipline Daddy

Brentcent Van Burns
Nov 27, 2009
Raleigh, NC
Also, my biggest concern right now is the goaltending. We got good goaltending by Freddie last night. When was the last time the Canes legit had a goalie steal us a game? It feels like it hasn't happened in months.

I think Boston and the Rangers will need elite goaltending for them to win the cup. Their gameplan and team history this year suggests they need a guy capable of making lots of high danger saves. The Islanders and Sorokin even more so, but the Isles are hardly contenders.

Conversely, I don't think the Canes will need elite goaltending. But I do think we will require at least average goaltending. Even that has been a big ask since Kochetkov came down from his December heater. We have the talent in net but it's still a bit concerning at this point.

WreckingCrew

Feb 4, 2015
Also, my biggest concern right now is the goaltending. We got good goaltending by Freddie last night. When was the last time the Canes legit had a goalie steal us a game? It feels like it hasn't happened in months.

I think Boston and the Rangers will need elite goaltending for them to win the cup. Their gameplan and team history this year suggests they need a guy capable of making lots of high danger saves. The Islanders and Sorokin even more so, but the Isles are hardly contenders.

Conversely, I don't think the Canes will need elite goaltending. But I do think we will require at least average goaltending. Even that has been a big ask since Kochetkov came down from his December heater. We have the talent in net but it's still a bit concerning at this point.
I'd settle for 2 average healthy goaltenders...we've had some former goalies go belly-up after leaving here with pretty good stats. Our biggest issue is that our 2 goalies are made of glass and then they never seem to come back quite 100% (cold partially be due to being rusty from missing weeks of games)

htdoc

Oct 30, 2018
Yes thank you. People are completely f***ing idiotic who suggest that the Canes play a boring trap style. That's just not true and it's not backed up by data or the eye test.

Our game is 1000% about forechecking. It's blindingly obvious if you watch the team and watch any other team in the league. No one else forechecks like the Canes (No one forechecks like Gaston). A team can beat our forechecking with really clean and fast stretch passes, but for whatever reason the Rangers couldn't get much of that going last night.
Agree completely with both of you.

We don't trap at all... we forecheck the heck out of folks and pressure pressure pressure to force mistakes and turnovers and rely on all 5 guys getting alllll the way back on defense and to cover for aggressive pinching and pushing players.

We can look really ugly when we make a mistake on when to pinch and when to over commit. Also when we aren't skating and keeping good tight gaps we get exposed quickly and it looks awful as our tight man to man leaves them way out of position and players aren't looking to shift and cover for the guy who blew his assignment... or they react to slowly to recover and adjust to try to cover for the guy who blew his assignment and also leave their man now open. It can look really jarring when we are off it

NotOpie

"Puck don't lie"
Jun 12, 2006
North Carolina
Just finished with the Rangers post-game thread. Man, the confidence they exude in their ability to "beat them in a 7 game series" is nearly comical. Not that they can't, because they certainly did last year. But that cockiness makes me hope that if/when we play them we sweep them decisively.

Also, the complaints about the refs are hilarious.

The Faulker 27

Nov 15, 2011
Sauna-Aho
Just finished with the Rangers post-game thread. Man, the confidence they exude in their ability to "beat them in a 7 game series" is nearly comical. Not that they can't, because they certainly did last year. But that cockiness makes me hope that if/when we play them we sweep them decisively.

You'd think they swept us last year based on some of the comments. Ya know, instead of going to game 7 with our backup who was probably ded for at least a few of the games.

AhosDatsyukian

Sep 25, 2020

A complete lack of awareness lol, they don't understand that there's a very good chance their run last year was like our run in 2018-19. That they even are convinced they're going to meet us in the playoffs is some serious disrespect to the Devils too. Very entitled.

Reactions: cptjeff

chaz4hockey

Sponsor
Jan 21, 2021
Naples, FL
Looking at last 40 games or so stats (last 90 day query) shows Canes as #1 in PK & #6 in PP. These are great numbers!!!!

1679535971908.png

1679535915085.png

Reactions: Big Daddy Cane

Big Daddy Cane

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 8, 2010
Western PA
It’s interesting. There’s little respect for Carolina’s talent level.

In terms of high end offensive skill, I get it. It’s the question mark about this group when healthy.

They wouldn’t be the best team in hockey over the past 3 seasons based on a system, however. Logically, other teams would just copy what they’re doing to President’s Trophy contention success. Yet, no other team is as good at puck pressure as the Canes.

Maybe it’s because they can’t? Few other teams have a defensive core (forwards included) in the conversation with Slavin, Pesce and Staal. How many mistakes have they bailed their teammates out of over the years?

Point being, the defensive skill on the roster is a blind spot, even by us at times. The team is talented in a non-traditional way.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad