GDT: Canes @ Preds: Time to 1-2 Step on their HeeHaws

Surrounded By Ahos

Las Vegas Desert Ducks Official Team Poster
Sponsor
May 24, 2008
Koko Miami
I think many have moved on to the acceptance stage.
I watched this team be shit for long enough that the occasional stinker doesn't bother me too much. I also watched this team not make the playoffs for a decade straight, so losing in the playoffs doesn't upset me either, since it beats the hell out of the alternative.

Joe McGrath

Oct 29, 2009
I watched this team be shit for long enough that the occasional stinker doesn't bother me too much. I also watched this team not make the playoffs for a decade straight, so losing in the playoffs doesn't upset me either, since it beats the hell out of the alternative.
This is it. I know what whale shit hockey looks like. I’ve seen roughly 30 years worth of it.

HisIceness

This is Hurricanes Hockey
Sep 16, 2010
Charlotte
Style and I’ll suggest smaller guys have nothing in the tank at the end.

Coach needs to modify his approach.

Rod is one of those few athletes who actually got better as he aged. Unfortunately that seems to be a part of his coaching style.

Don't get me wrong, the hot starts and good middle of the season play are great but the sputtering in March and into April is concerning.

hblueridgegal

Timing is Everything
Sponsor
Sep 13, 2019
Old North State
I understand sort of I guess. I have been a fan for a while myself. Use to obtain the funding for the company box when that was more of thing back in the day. It still kinda feels like an excuse to me. I still think at a certain point that tagline will tire and fans will turn to other sports that deliver big bowl wins or championships or the next shiny object that requires their time and money.

Our fans already don't like the national media and other fan groups picking on us for not advancing. It chafes. I am not talking about the diehards but the newer ones who are riding the rebirth.

Last edited:

Joe McGrath

Oct 29, 2009
I understand sort of I guess. I have been a fan for a while myself. Use to obtain the funding for the company box when that was more of thing back in the day. It still kinda feels like an excuse to me. I still think at a certain point that tagline will tire and fans will turn to other sports that deliver big bowl wins or championships or the next shiny object that requires their time and money.

Our fans already don't like the national media and other fan groups picking on us for not advancing. It chafes. I am not talking about the diehards but the newer ones who are riding the rebirth.
For all the complaining people do on here about not advancing far enough in the playoffs, they’ve won a playoff round every year since Rods been here. The maple Leafs haven’t won a playoff series since Sami Kapanen and Keith Primeau were still playing in the NHL.

Blueline Bomber

AI Generated Minnesota Wild
Sponsor
Oct 31, 2007

Okay, but we've also seen this team play...just SO much better than they have been lately. This season even! So it gets frustrating to see them struggle against teams they shouldn't have trouble against, at a time in the season when they should be upping their game for the playoffs.

Sigurd

Slavin, our Lord and Saver (AKA Extra Goalie)
Feb 4, 2018
North Carolina
The Burns goal not counting because of, in my opinion, a questionable rule, is annoying. I can understand it being delayed offsides if a guy hasn't gotten back to the blue line when the puck crosses the goal line even if it doesn't touch a Carolina guy on the way in (which was the case with Burns' goal being overturned). That's one thing as annoying as it is.

However, the rules analyst said that even if a player gets back to the blue line before the puck crosses the goal line, it still wouldn't have counted. Why? That goal instance is so uncommon; when do we ever see that happening. Why wouldn't you reward offense in such a scenario?

Also, when what few good offensive forwards we have left aren't scoring (Aho, Necas, and KK), we have to rely on our defenseman so much for the goals. Both overturned goals were from defensemen. Necas really should've been more careful with skating in the crease.

Personally, I thought Andersen let in a couple of soft goals (more so the 2nd). Even on the first goal, our defenseman took away the pass, so it wasn't exactly a surprise the Nashville player shot the puck.

Finally, Nashville was basically 2 for 2 with the cross ice empty net goal from their defensive zone if Andersen hadn't stop the puck midway through getting off the ice (Carolina couldn't even apply offensive pressure long enough to buy time for the goalie pull; pathetic). Of course, Nashville scored the empty netter and made it look easy. When the f*** does Carolina ever score the cross ice empty net goals? We legit struggle to score empty net goals from any distance, but especially from our defensive zone.

*edit* I really hope the front office has a great offseason this year. I'm tired of the same problems with this team even when we're healthy. Obviously the lack of goals, and the powerplay being a dumpster fire when it barely registers any shots on goal (if at all) are two huge problems. I'd also argue that this season, goaltending has become a concern long term for this team.

Shane Willis last game was pointing out there's not much of a difference between the 9th rank PP and our PP at 20th since there was only about a 2% difference. However, I'm more concerned about our powerplays struggling to have ANY shots on goal; maybe 1 or 2 if we're lucky. That happens way too often, and is something that probably isn't as common for the best ranked PPs in the league.

Last edited:

ndp

Hurricanes Pessimist
Oct 29, 2015
I just finished skimming through this one on DVR. Not a great game to watch, even at 15x speed. Never mind the loss, that was just a flat out boring ass predictable hockey game.

It’s a 3 goal kinda league.

I don’t get these forward lines.

Necas-Aho-TT isn’t going to work just like Jarvis-Aho-TT doesn’t work.

This team’s whole identity and system is based entirely on someone getting to and winning the battle for the puck. No combination of Aho, TT, Necas or Jarvis on a line together feels like it’s going to provide reliable puck retrieval, especially against bigger physical teams. Just not enough physicality and muscle.

Noesen-KK-JP on the other hand is a line of 3 decent sized, more physical type players. It really feels like one of Noesen or JP should be on Aho’s line. Necas stays in the top six because he’s the man standing who’s scoring at a top six pace.

Then flip some coins or draw straws between Jarvis, TT and JP to see who stays in the top six and who plays on the 4th. I’d personally like to see
Noesen-Aho-TT
Necas-KK-Jarvis
for a game.

3CanesInTheBox

Bunch of (Actual) Jerks
Sponsor
Feb 22, 2019
Chatmandu
I ain't even mad. Even before injuries, this team was basically climbing El Capitan with shoestrings, bubblegum and a loaf of bread. They did an admirable job for a long time and may even surprise teams/people in the playoffs but expectations should have or be adjusted.
Same. I am proud of their fight. And I’ll cheer for them to keep climbing. But gotta hope for roster improvements and better injury luck next season.

Boom Boom Apathy

I am the Professor. Deal with it!
Sep 6, 2006
Aside from the first year this team under the current regime does not click as the season winds down. They should be playing their best Hockey now, and they are not.

Style and I’ll suggest smaller guys have nothing in the tank at the end.

Coach needs to modify his approach.

I know some will complain about injecting facts.

Last year: the team went 8-2 in the last 10 games including two wins over the Rangers to clinch the metro while riding a 2nd and 3rd string goalie for much of it.
20-21: Was only a 56 game season due to Covid. Canes went 7-0-3 to clinch the Central, before losing the final two inconsequential games of the season as they already clinched the Central.
19-20: There was no "season winding down" as the season was cut short at 68 games due to Covid. Canes also lost Hamilton and Pesce for the season prior to that.

Not making excuses for this season. The team has average goaltending and lost 2 of their top scorers. It's going to be an uphill battle when that happens but the facts don't really match the narrative.

A Star is Burns

Formerly Azor Aho
Sponsor
Dec 6, 2011
I know they're still fighting to win the division but this just didn't seem like a game they were ready to put an all out effort into. Apparently Rod was even worried about the motivation compared to what Nashville had.

I still think they have a decent chance in the playoffs to make some noise. Other less talented teams have gone far by playing the way we'll need to play. There are some arguments for our recent conference finals team after early injuries being a similar team.

They'll have to play tight games. They'll need the remaining offensive guys to wake up. But the team has heart and has shown against some of the good teams recently they can still compete. A Cup is unlikely, but this team can still do some things.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad