GDT: Canes @ Preds: Time to 1-2 Step on their HeeHaws

Nikishin Go Boom

Russian Bulldozer Consultent
Jul 31, 2017
LY until the last 6, the Canes staggered down the stretch going 8-4-4 in march and then were 3-5 in first eight in April (though April 16) before winning the last 6. (2 against Devils and 1 vs AZ).

So, a 45 day hiccup before playing better against somewhat softer competition the last 10 days. Thus, I suggest that the end of year slow down concept still applies:
View attachment 683532
That is 30% of the season. If we expand a net wide enough we can make our point.

There are 5 B2Bs in there to include a b2b set of b2bs.

The other 70% of the season had 8 B2bs.

March was also slammed full of playoff teams.

Sometimes results have a lot more to do with difficulty than when it falls on the calendar

chaz4hockey

Sponsor
Jan 21, 2021
Naples, FL
That is 30% of the season. If we expand a net wide enough we can make our point.

There are 5 B2Bs in there to include a b2b set of b2bs.

The other 70% of the season had 8 B2bs.

March was also slammed full of playoff teams.

Sometimes results have a lot more to do with difficulty than when it falls on the calendar
We will just have to disagree. Excuses can always be made for anything but...

Bad Results are bad results, particularly at the back end of 1/3+ of the season.

Boom Boom Apathy

I am the Professor. Deal with it!
Sep 6, 2006
LY until the last 6, the Canes staggered down the stretch going 8-4-4 in march and then were 3-5 in first eight in April (though April 16) before winning the last 6. (2 against Devils and 1 vs AZ).

So, a 45 day hiccup before playing better against somewhat softer competition the last 10 days. Thus, I suggest that the end of year slow down concept still applies:
View attachment 683532
Maybe I'm missing what you are trying to say. So 8-4-4 in March and "ignore the last 6 games of the season" in April? What's the rationale for ignoring the last 6 out of 14 games in April?

Anton Dubinchuk

aho
Sponsor
Jul 18, 2010
Atlanta, GA
Maybe I'm missing what you are trying to say. So 8-4-4 in March and "ignore the last 6 games of the season" in April? What's the rationale for ignoring the last 6 out of 14 games in April?

If you ignore the last 52 games of the season, the 4-6-1 drought in late December really shows how the Canes chronically lose down the stretch.

Joe McGrath

Oct 29, 2009
I think the rationale is they weren’t good last year at this time as well, which is true. I think if they win the last 4 games here no one is going to be all that confident going into the playoffs based on what we’ve seen for the last month+.

They were much worse in March than any other month of the season two years in a row.

Reactions: chaz4hockey

Joe McGrath

Oct 29, 2009
this time, last year, they went 8-2 in the last 10 including 2 wins against the Rangers with 2nd/3rd string goalies. So not sure what you mean.
I mean the rest of my post that you didn’t quote.

Games 60-80 last year they lost 9 games. In the other 3 20 game segments they lost 6.

This year they have 8 losses so far in games 60-78, 7 in the first 20, and 5 in segments 2 and 3.

So the results have tailed off in the last quarter of the season each of the last two years.

Reactions: chaz4hockey

Heyheylj

Jul 24, 2021
Serious question about the “powerless play”…what is our biggest issue:
a) we can’t enter the zone and set up cleanly to maximize shooting opportunities
b) we perimeter pass constantly looking only for perfect shot
c) our point shots are often off target or are perfectly targeted to the goalie’s chest pad
d) all of the above and probably more than this post even recognizes

Reactions: MinJaBen

Blueline Bomber

AI Generated Minnesota Wild
Sponsor
Oct 31, 2007
Serious question about the “powerless play”…what is our biggest issue:
a) we can’t enter the zone and set up cleanly to maximize shooting opportunities
b) we perimeter pass constantly looking only for perfect shot
c) our point shots are often off target or are perfectly targeted to the goalie’s chest pad
d) all of the above and probably more than this post even recognizes

I'd say A is the biggest issue. We're actually fairly successful in getting shots from the point through. The problem is we don't seem to have any plans after that happens, except to get it back to the point. Our forwards are not a threat to shoot the puck, outside of obviously telegraphed cross-crease passes. And if the pass DOES make it through, the one-timer is well off net, often leading to the puck heading down the ice.

The lack of opportunities on the PP also amplifies the need for it to be successful in the chances it does have. While other teams are getting 3-4 opportunities a game, we're stuck at 0-2.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad