Friedman: Canes likely moving on from Necas.

Pinkfloyd

Oct 29, 2006
Folsom
Top 4RD and 2C are their main needs.

They might be able to snag an up and coming RD for Necas, who knows. I doubt they get a 2C.

They’ve offered him up as the main piece for the likes of Pettersson and M Tkachuk. That’s not to suggest they’re going to get a player of that caliber back for his rights, but more so to illustrate how the Canes value him, which is pretty high.

They don’t “have to” trade him, but I think they will. And they’ll likely be looking at a 1st + high end prospect if the past is any sort of guide.
I think it makes sense for the Sharks to have interest in Necas but I don't think we have anything available to address your main needs. Our top four RD's suck and our top two centers right now are an injured Logan Couture and a 32 year old Mikael Granlund. I'm not even sure what kind of high end prospect even makes sense for Necas from the Sharks. Guys like Will Smith won't be available here and I'm not sure anyone else really qualifies as high end.

Some Other Flame

Dec 4, 2010
Wouldn't be surprised if Conroy offered Markstrom and Vancouver's 1st for Necas. Carolina would reject that thankfully

Vivaldi

May 18, 2024
Getting a haul for Necas and replacing him with a UFA could be pretty clever on their part honestly. They just need to tighten their roster at this point so everyone is dialed in and fits like a glove. Keeping Guentzel is the big imperative with how he fit in, Noesen should be too if he's willing to take a reasonable cut

Guentzel-Aho-Jarvis
Svechnikov-Kuznetsov-X
Y Drury Noesen
Martinook Staal Fast

Slavin-Burns
Orlov-Z
T-Morrow

X- Rakell (trade Kotkaniemi and 2nd or 3rd for him)
Y- DeBrusk (sign), as a bonus can play any top 9 wing role left or right depending on what is needed. Alternatively Stephenson who can play center as a bonus
Z - Montour, Matt Roy, DeMelo or Tanev. Different dynamic if Montour, he probably plays with Slavin and they try to make Orlov-Burns work

T - some vet who can still play like Martinez

This would let them trade Necas for all futures while still reasonably filling out their roster. Say something around Necas and Andersen for Saros+

Big Daddy Cane

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 8, 2010
Western PA
Wouldn’t arb make him a UFA after this coming season though? Seems like he’s a rental who is expecting a huge payday.

3 year ELC
2 year bridge

A 1 year award/deal puts him at 6 pro seasons. Age-based unrestricted free agency is also 2026; he's not 27 at the start of the 25-26 league year.

2 more years of control. PuckPedia (Link) also shows 2026 as the UFA year, if you need expert confirmation.

Reactions: Fatass

Fatass

Apr 17, 2017
3 year ELC
2 year bridge

A 1 year award/deal puts him at 6 pro seasons. Age-based unrestricted free agency is also 2026; he's not 27 at the start of the 25-26 league year.

2 more years of control. PuckPedia (Link) also shows 2026 as the UFA year, if you need expert confirmation.
So a two season rental? I could see a non playoff club wanting him to fill seats. A guy who is fun to watch but isn’t going to help much in winning playoff games. Maybe Chicago?

Chan790

Sponsor
Jan 24, 2012
Bingy town, NY
After watching the playoffs, pretty sure they would admit to needing goaltending.
Nope. We have a perfectly suitable PK and no idea why RBA chose to ride a faultering Andersen into elimination. Thankfully, it seems even the FO is of the mindset that PK and Fred probably swap roles next season.

Could we move Freddie this offseason and bring in someone to 1B to Kochetkov's 1A? Yeah, unlikely but possible.

Are we looking to do that in this deal or acquire someone to be the 1A in that tandem? Probably not.

Dr Quincy

Jun 19, 2005
#16 + Brandon Saad? (Figure Saad fits car’s style of play and would be a perfect middle 6’er for them)

I know most HF’ers probably assume Saad is trash now, he obviously doesn’t produce like he used too, but he’s actually still a solid player. He brings quality 200 ft play speed and consistent puck mgmt, does all the little things right and still has some scoring touch. I think he’d be a fine addition to any playoff/ cup contenders 3rd line.

Blues don’t need him given where we’re at in our “re-whatever”.

Totally understand if canes fans want more quality in a deal for necas, just figured given the cap situation maybe a little bit of trade value/leverage is lost and they’d still get a 1st+ solid NHL forward back for a skill guy playing down on a middle 6 role already anyway.
I can't imagine for a second that would be the best offer.

Big Daddy Cane

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 8, 2010
Western PA
So a two season rental? I could see a non playoff club wanting him to fill seats. A guy who is fun to watch but isn’t going to help much in winning playoff games. Maybe Chicago?

2 seasons in theory. Realistically, he's signing for longer, if traded. In recent memory, Trouba, Fiala, Buchnevich, Reinhart, Dubois, DeBrincat, etc. were traded as RFAs and signed mid to long-term deals as such.

HisNoodliness

The Karate Kid and ASP Kai
Jun 29, 2014
Toronto
15 + Veleno/Berggren (young mediocre but cheap NHL forward) + Wallinder/Albert Johansson (B tier D prospect)
or
47 + Marco Kasper + Wallinder/AlJo

We have to get to talk to Necas first and have a "we'll end up settling on a contract in this ballpark" handshake deal worked out.

Fatass

Apr 17, 2017
2 seasons in theory. Realistically, he's signing for longer, if traded. In recent memory, Trouba, Fiala, Buchnevich, Reinhart, Dubois, DeBrincat, etc. were traded as RFAs and signed mid to long-term deals as such.
Is Necas the type of player a club, even a non playoff one, will want to commit 8 years to? A rebuilding club will likely (a lot sooner than 8 years) want to compete. So likely they would be looking no more than 5 or 6 years max.

tsujimoto74

May 28, 2012

Those guys are probably good trade comparables. That in mind, the offers/expectations in this thread are...rich.

Guitpik

Jul 8, 2006
He'd be a great fit for many teams.

A few ideas:

Nashville - 1st, 2nd and Dante Fabbro (UFA next year but could be extended).

Minesota - Something around Marco Rossi

Calgary - Rasmus Andersson

LA - Something around Brandt Clarke

Utah - Something around Connor Geekie or JJ Moser
He doesn’t bring back Brandt Clarke

Reactions: EveryDay

wintersej

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Nov 26, 2011
North Andover, MA
Getting a haul for Necas and replacing him with a UFA could be pretty clever on their part honestly. They just need to tighten their roster at this point so everyone is dialed in and fits like a glove. Keeping Guentzel is the big imperative with how he fit in, Noesen should be too if he's willing to take a reasonable cut

Guentzel-Aho-Jarvis
Svechnikov-Kuznetsov-X
Y Drury Noesen
Martinook Staal Fast

Slavin-Burns
Orlov-Z
T-Morrow

X- Rakell (trade Kotkaniemi and 2nd or 3rd for him)
Y- DeBrusk (sign), as a bonus can play any top 9 wing role left or right depending on what is needed. Alternatively Stephenson who can play center as a bonus
Z - Montour, Matt Roy, DeMelo or Tanev. Different dynamic if Montour, he probably plays with Slavin and they try to make Orlov-Burns work

T - some vet who can still play like Martinez

This would let them trade Necas for all futures while still reasonably filling out their roster. Say something around Necas and Andersen for Saros+

I see folks pencilling DeBrusk on their team like he isn't going to get 5.5-6 million a year.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad