Canes' Karmanos Wins Think Before Speaking Award

Status
Not open for further replies.

Wetcoaster

In one of the great ironical twists of the Bettman lockout, one of Gary's staunchest supporters Peter (it was my evil twin who made that absurd RFA offer to Sergei Federov) Karmanos has become the year's leadin nominee in the category for the Brett Hull Award for failure to put brain in gear before engaging mouth.

Karmanos has apparently ignited a firestorm amongst the 'Canes fans (or at least among those who are still fans).

Earlier this week he was blithely telling all who would listen that the season was over. It appears the 'Canes fans have taken him at his word and now want their money back for season's tickets. This is causing some consternation in the land of cotton where good NHL times are soon forgotten.

Hurricanes try to calm fans seeking refunds
By LUKE DECOCK
January 12, 2005

The Carolina Hurricanes are scrambling to talk fans into keeping their season-ticket deposits with the team after owner Peter Karmanos said Tuesday he thinks the 2004-05 NHL season is a lost cause.

With the team holding millions of dollars in ticket payments for games the owner doesn't think will be played, the Hurricanes are expecting plenty of questions from fans.

"Our ticket people are working on that now," Hurricanes president and general manager Jim Rutherford said Wednesday.

On Tuesday, Karmanos told the Canadian Press that his "gut feeling" is the season will be canceled and next season may be lost as well.

Reached in Detroit on Wednesday, Karmanos said he had been "spoken to" by NHL commissioner Gary Bettman and that he would not be speaking further about the lockout.

Canes fan Peggy Zieman of Cary, N.C. said she was "extremely upset" with Karmanos' comments and the lack of negotiations, but she isn't demanding a refund. She and her husband bought a mini-plan on the RBC Center's club level after the excitement of the 2002 Stanley Cup finals. She said she's willing to leave her money with the team this year - but not if next season is canceled, too.

"If it goes another year, there will be no NHL," Zieman said. "People are going to do what they did in baseball. Baseball went through it, and people are finally coming back to watch after all these years. If we lose the Hurricanes, we've got nothing."

The deposits are important to the Hurricanes because of the team's financial situation. According to statements by team officials, the Hurricanes will lose $7.5 million during the lockout and have lost $135 million since moving to North Carolina in 1997. The Hurricanes brought in an estimated $20 million in gate receipts last season.

The team obtained a $90 million credit line from a Detroit bank in July, pledging the team and its arena lease at the RBC Center as collateral. Meanwhile Rutherford said negotiations continue over the sale of Karmanos' other hockey assets: a minor league team and arena in Estero, Fla., and a junior team and arena in Plymouth, Mich.

But the team has not received any allocations from its share of the league's $300 million lockout fund, Rutherford said, and can survive even if every deposit was refunded.

Maybe his buddy Gary won't fine him given that he has manged to shoot himself so effectively in the foot while removing it from his mouth. :lol

FLYLine27*

BUCH
Nov 9, 2004
NY
Wetcoaster said:
In one of the great ironical twists of the Bettman lockout, one of Gary's staunchest supporters Peter (it was my evil twin who made that absurd RFA offer to Sergei Federov) Karmanos has become the year's leadin nominee in the category for the Brett Hull Award for failure to put brain in gear before engaging mouth.

Karmanos has apparently ignited a firestorm amongst the 'Canes fans (or at least among those who are still fans).

Earlier this week he was blithely telling all who would listen that the season was over. It appears the 'Canes fans have taken him at his word and now want their money back for season's tickets. This is causing some consternation in the land of cotton where good NHL times are soon forgotten.

Maybe his buddy Gary won't fine him given that he has manged to shoot himself so effectively in the foot while removing it from his mouth. :lol
:lol: :lol: :lol:

Lanny MacDonald*

I dunno, until he claims he can't feed his dog on a million a season, Karmanos has nothing to worry about in this regard. :lol

bleedgreen

Dec 8, 2003
colorado
Visit site
im not getting it. what did he do wrong? whats the difference if he tells them its over now, or it ends a week from now? wont they want their money back then? rutherford says at the end of your quote they can afford to pay all the deposits back. the team has been looking to sell off the other assets for a while now. it isnt lockout related, they just wanted to focus on the canes. so whats your point?

GirardIsStupid

Dec 15, 2002
Visit site
ha ha ha ha. i really question how intelligent some of these owners are. im beginning to think they're just ordinary men who managed to luck out or inherit big businesses.

as an aside, if i had my way, I would allow the owners to take enough cash to break even (maybe some arbitrary number like 30-40% of revenues), a small sum of money for all employees (players, management etc...) to live modestly (say like 25% of revenue), with the rest going into programs that desperately need the cash (health care, welfare, etc...). the owners and players don't deserve a lot of the money they're fighting over.

PecaFan

Nov 16, 2002
Ottawa (Go 'Nucks)
To me, looks like idiot fans who can't read.

He said his gut feeling is the season *will* be cancelled (note future conditional here), and fans immediately start knocking on his door as if he said it *has* been cancelled.

bleedgreen

Dec 8, 2003
colorado
Visit site
i still dont get it. where is the "firestorm"? where are the angry canes fans? the article has one fan who is letting them keep their money, she wasnt even demanding the money back. the article says they are preparing for negative feedback. i still dont understand the point of this. what did he do that was wrong? if you read the whole article on slamsports, not the tsn condensed version, karmanos wasnt that much a hardliner at all. he made some decent points, and when they asked his opinion he said, my gut feeling is its over. which is what everyone including ggodenow is now saying. explain to me what this thread is about. i cant stand karmanos, but i dont see what he did wrong here.

futurcorerock

Nov 15, 2003
Columbus, OH
PecaFan said:
To me, looks like idiot fans who can't read.

He said his gut feeling is the season *will* be cancelled (note future conditional here), and fans immediately start knocking on his door as if he said it *has* been cancelled.

:handclap:

bleedgreen

Dec 8, 2003
colorado
Visit site
http://slam.canoe.ca/Slam/Hockey/NHL/Carolina/2005/01/11/895220-cp.html
this is the entire article that quotes karmanos. its hardly filibusting from a soapbox. he makes some good points at the end of the article that talk of what this is really for, and bettman shouldnt be taking all the blame since its the owners that are directing his actions. please read the whole thing before going off on karmanos - who generally is a j-ass. they left the whole second half of this article out on the tsn version.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad