Canes' Karmanos Wins Think Before Speaking Award

Discussion in 'Fugu's Business of Hockey Forum' started by Wetcoaster, Jan 14, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
View Users: View Users
  1. Wetcoaster

Wetcoaster Guest

In one of the great ironical twists of the Bettman lockout, one of Gary's staunchest supporters Peter (it was my evil twin who made that absurd RFA offer to Sergei Federov) Karmanos has become the year's leadin nominee in the category for the Brett Hull Award for failure to put brain in gear before engaging mouth.

Karmanos has apparently ignited a firestorm amongst the 'Canes fans (or at least among those who are still fans).

Earlier this week he was blithely telling all who would listen that the season was over. It appears the 'Canes fans have taken him at his word and now want their money back for season's tickets. This is causing some consternation in the land of cotton where good NHL times are soon forgotten.

Maybe his buddy Gary won't fine him given that he has manged to shoot himself so effectively in the foot while removing it from his mouth. :lol

2. FLYLine27*

FLYLine27* BUCH

PO
    :lol: :lol: :lol:

3. I dunno, until he claims he can't feed his dog on a million a season, Karmanos has nothing to worry about in this regard. :lol

4. bleedgreen

bleedgreen Registered User

Home Page:
    im not getting it. what did he do wrong? whats the difference if he tells them its over now, or it ends a week from now? wont they want their money back then? rutherford says at the end of your quote they can afford to pay all the deposits back. the team has been looking to sell off the other assets for a while now. it isnt lockout related, they just wanted to focus on the canes. so whats your point?

5. sakicisstupid

sakicisstupid Registered User

Home Page:
    ha ha ha ha. i really question how intelligent some of these owners are. im beginning to think they're just ordinary men who managed to luck out or inherit big businesses.

as an aside, if i had my way, I would allow the owners to take enough cash to break even (maybe some arbitrary number like 30-40% of revenues), a small sum of money for all employees (players, management etc...) to live modestly (say like 25% of revenue), with the rest going into programs that desperately need the cash (health care, welfare, etc...). the owners and players don't deserve a lot of the money they're fighting over.

6. PecaFan

PecaFan Registered User

Home Page:
    To me, looks like idiot fans who can't read.

He said his gut feeling is the season *will* be cancelled (note future conditional here), and fans immediately start knocking on his door as if he said it *has* been cancelled.

7. bleedgreen

Home Page:
    i still dont get it. where is the "firestorm"? where are the angry canes fans? the article has one fan who is letting them keep their money, she wasnt even demanding the money back. the article says they are preparing for negative feedback. i still dont understand the point of this. what did he do that was wrong? if you read the whole article on slamsports, not the tsn condensed version, karmanos wasnt that much a hardliner at all. he made some decent points, and when they asked his opinion he said, my gut feeling is its over. which is what everyone including ggodenow is now saying. explain to me what this thread is about. i cant stand karmanos, but i dont see what he did wrong here.

8. futurcorerock

futurcorerock Registered User

:handclap:

9. bleedgreen

Home Page:
    http://slam.canoe.ca/Slam/Hockey/NHL/Carolina/2005/01/11/895220-cp.html
    this is the entire article that quotes karmanos. its hardly filibusting from a soapbox. he makes some good points at the end of the article that talk of what this is really for, and bettman shouldnt be taking all the blame since its the owners that are directing his actions. please read the whole thing before going off on karmanos - who generally is a j-ass. they left the whole second half of this article out on the tsn version.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.