Confirmed with Link: Canes extend Eddie Lack - 2.75per/2 years

Unsustainable

Seth Jarvis is Elite
Apr 14, 2012
North Carolina
RALEIGH, NC – Ron Francis, Executive Vice President and General Manager of the National Hockey League’s Carolina Hurricanes, today announced that the team has agreed to terms with goaltender Eddie Lack on a two-year contract extension. The deal will pay Lack $2.5 million in 2016-17, and $3 million in 2017-18.

“Eddie has been a great addition to our locker room,†said Francis. “We feel that we have a very solid tandem in net for this season and are excited that Eddie will remain a part of that picture beyond this year.â€

Sens1Canes2

May 13, 2007
Without even playing a game? I'm not for or against the extension, I simply find it odd (for both parties) that there wouldn't be any "audition."

HisIceness

This is Hurricanes Hockey
Sep 16, 2010
Charlotte
Agree w/ you S1C2. I'm not for/against either but I didn't think it would be this early. Lets hope this works out.

Wolfpuck

Chefnikov
Jun 25, 2006
The 919
Nice! I think the dollars and the term are fair for both the team and for Lack, but I agree with the above sentiments about not expecting an extension to come this early.

*insert totally baseless speculation that talks with Cam Ward have broken down*

carolinacanuck

Apr 5, 2007
The Carolinas
RALEIGH, NC – Ron Francis, Executive Vice President and General Manager of the National Hockey League’s Carolina Hurricanes, today announced that the team has agreed to terms with goaltender Eddie Lack on a two-year contract extension. The deal will pay Lack $2.5 million in 2016-17, and $3 million in 2017-18.

“Eddie has been a great addition to our locker room,†said Francis. “We feel that we have a very solid tandem in net for this season and are excited that Eddie will remain a part of that picture beyond this year.â€

great contract

DaveG

Noted Jerk
Apr 7, 2003
Winston-Salem NC
I'm thinking this is their early sign of hedging their bets. Basically they went from Ward still having some cards on the table to Ward having nothing on the table unless he has a big year.

cptjeff

Reprehensible User
Sep 18, 2008
Washington, DC.
I'm thinking this is their early sign of hedging their bets. Basically they went from Ward still having some cards on the table to Ward having nothing on the table unless he has a big year.

True. It's also an entirely reasonable number for a 1B/higher end backup, so I'm sure Francis figured there's really no downside. If Lack takes the starting job, he's a steal, if Lack is the 1B, he's paid entirely in line with his value. Honestly, I'm more surprised that Lack didn't try to hold out to play some of the season, prove himself in trying to take the starter role, and negotiate as a starter- a deal with these kinds of numbers would probably be there to fall back on regardless.

Caniac125330

Jul 13, 2011
North Carolina
Very unexpected this early, but I love it. That could end up being a steal for 2 years, kind of like Lindy's deal. I personally think it likely means Ward is gone, but the cheap price at least leaves the door open to bring him back too if he has a good year/will sign for cheap. Definitely incentivies Ward to have the season of his life if he wants to stay.

carolinacanuck

Apr 5, 2007
The Carolinas
Nathan Gerbe ‏@NathanGerbe14 15m15 minutes ago
Congrats @eddielack on new deal. Glad that's out of the way so I can go back to lighting you up Monday!! #welldeserved

teammates like him...or like lighting him up

:laugh:

Ole Gil

May 9, 2009
Seems like a fair deal all around. Both sides get and give a little there.

Blueline Bomber

AI Generated Minnesota Wild
Sponsor
Oct 31, 2007
This is an odd signing. Not necessarily a bad one, but for a guy that hasn't played many games with the Canes (and no meaningful ones), it's odd to give him an extension already. I'm definitely thinking Ward's impending UFA status had an effect on the deal.

Vagrant

The Czech Condor
Feb 27, 2002
North Carolina
Visit site
They put the roadmap in for the succession plan with Khudobin as well. This type of deal is the kind they want to make. Bring in a young goalie, sign them to an extension, and get a low cost starter for a couple years. Apparently they have a lot of faith that Lack is the guy for that job even without the tape a guy like Khudobin put together for us.

Carolinas Identity*

I'm a bad troll...
Jun 18, 2011
Calgary, AB
yup, i love he signed the extension here. thought he'd sign for more but this contract is perfect.

What was it that he was rumored to be wanting from Vancouver? IIRC, it was something like 18.75m over 4 years?

That sounds a little high, but I swear it was close to that. Hell of a steal either way though.

carolinacanuck

Apr 5, 2007
The Carolinas
What was it that he was rumored to be wanting from Vancouver? IIRC, it was something like 18.75m over 4 years?

That sounds a little high, but I swear it was close to that. Hell of a steal either way though.

i know benning approached lack's agent before trading him and asked what they were looking for in a new deal.

speculation was in the 3-4 million per range. that was just speculation tho.

Stickpucker

Playmaka
Jan 18, 2014

Agreed, basically says if you don't outplay Lack you will make 2 or 3m. No more 10m tied up on a mediocre goalie tandem!! :handclap:

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad