GDT: Canes @ Devils Game 3: (3:30PM on TBS)

Daeavorn

livin' that no caps life
Oct 8, 2019
Raleigh, NC
If they lose the next game and get swept, the question of if he gets fired is only going to be by whom, because Shanahan's seat has to be equally hot at this point.

I get all of that. But the game itself was not an embarassing game to lose. No massive comeback occured, the other team is good, the other team was at home, the game was lost in overtime, your starting goalie left on an injury and you had a rookie coming in cold on a powerplay to take his place....any team can lose that game. The only reason we are talking about that game being "embarrassing" has nothing to do with the game, just the franchises' history and importance to Canadian culture.

Now, if they had lost a game where their own Zamboni driver was the goalie, well, that would be embarrassing.
I get being upset by it but we tend to eat at least one game like this per series. we had the 5-1 loss to NYI game 3 before as well.

I wont be worried unless they lose tomorrow and then only a little

MinJaBen

Canes Sharks Boy
Sponsor
Dec 14, 2015
Durm
I get being upset by it but we tend to eat at least one game like this per series. we had the 5-1 loss to NYI game 3 before as well.

I wont be worried unless they lose tomorrow and then only a little
Oh, I totally agree. Losing our first game on the road to a good team is disappointing, but not the end of the world given we won both games at home. The way we lost is a problem: the goalies were horrible, the defense was spotty, and the forwards didn't give enough support. Very fixable for sure, but a shitty game all the way around.

Lempo

Recovering Future Considerations Truther
Sponsor
Feb 23, 2014
Oh, I totally agree. Losing our first game on the road to a good team is disappointing, but not the end of the world given we won both games at home. The way we lost is a problem: the goalies were horrible, the defense was spotty, and the forwards didn't give enough support. Very fixable for sure, but a shitty game all the way around.
Sometimes the refs lose the control of the game, this time it happened to the players I guess. The defensive structure utterly collapsed for both teams, and NJ took the game by their superior offense and ability to finish.

MinJaBen

Canes Sharks Boy
Sponsor
Dec 14, 2015
Durm
4 goals isn’t enough support? I get that they were essentially in garbage time but that’s still keeping the average of 5 goals per game against this devils team. They can’t plan on scoring 8 every game

Not goal support, but defensive support. Lots of turnovers and being in the wrong place, or just not doing anything with the puck in the offensive end which means it ends up in the defensive zone in a hurry. And while there were four total goals, three were short-handed, which doesn't say much about our PP or 5v5 play that game.

Brad Meador

May 5, 2019
Devils played their best game yet and still got 4 scored on them

I was thinking the same thing. If we can score 4 goals even when they're playing their best than the Devils are in a heap of trouble because last night was NOT our best game. They already saw our best games (Games 1 and 2).

If we were at our best last nights outcome is likely A LOT different.

Game 4 is big. We NEED to show NJ that we are the team to beat in the Metro. We knocked out the Islanders, time to get the Devils by the jugular tomorrow and win game 4.

We can't let them get back in the series with a win tomorrow.

We responded well in Game 4 vs the Islanders after getting throttled in game 3.

I would expect nothing less tomorrow. If Carolina does NOT respond tomorrow after getting their teeth kicked in last night they do not deserve to win the series.

Also, our team needs to keep an eye on Aho; watch his back. The Islanders went after him last series to the point where they appeared to try and injure him and now NJ is going after him.

Yes, it's the playoffs but playoff hockey is not targeting the teams best player in that way.

I know Aho can take care of himself but we need to stick up for one another. That can't be tolerated.

Blueline Bomber

AI Generated Minnesota Wild
Sponsor
Oct 31, 2007
The last game is just a repeat of the first series. The Devils NEEDED to win that game, because 3-0 deficit, 4 teams, yadda, yadda, yadda. So they came out and played like a team that NEEDED to win. And the Canes couldn't match that intensity.

And if we get that 3rd win, we can expect another similar performance from both teams. One that NEEDS to win to keep playing and one that probably won't play with that same urgency.

Reactions: geehaad

Brad Meador

May 5, 2019
The last game is just a repeat of the first series. The Devils NEEDED to win that game, because 3-0 deficit, 4 teams, yadda, yadda, yadda. So they came out and played like a team that NEEDED to win. And the Canes couldn't match that intensity.

And if we get that 3rd win, we can expect another similar performance from both teams. One that NEEDS to win to keep playing and one that probably won't play with that same urgency.

Makes sense, even though the team talked about being prepared for the Devils reaction at home since they'll be feeding off the crowd Jordan Staal said after the game it's like they (Carolina) were surprised (at how hard NJ came out of the gate), but shouldn't have been. The intensity just was not matched at all by Carolina.

We were slow getting to all the pucks, forechecking and everything. Definitely not prepared.

This is why I'm somewhat curious (I can't wait either) of how Carolina is going to respond to this tomorrow because IMO how they respond will determine the outcome of this series.

Reactions: Sigurd

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad