Post-Game Talk: Canes 5 - Jets 3

Status
Not open for further replies.

Jets 31

This Dude loves the Jets and GIF's
Sponsor
Mar 3, 2015
Winnipeg
I think you have to manage the load for Hellebuyck with 6 games in 9 days. Coming back home he should be fresh. Then you have an afternoon game which is probably the most important of the season, followed by a game the next evening.

I'd rather he play those stretch of games, and help the Jets accumulate points. Losing to a non conference team after winning two in Florida is acceptable. A save or two would have gone a long way, but the Jets have gotten into the habit of winning games in which they are significantly outshot, and losing games that are close in shots, or their distinct advantage. I think Bones was probably hoping BSD could win one. It would be nice if he could, somewhere before the end of the season.

Connor is cold, but a lot of scorers are streaky. His game doesn't look great right now, but the same thing was said about Ehlers a week or so ago. Maybe Dubois helps him get back on track. I still don't know if Connor is a better shooter than Scheifele, so I'd say the right guy is at the top of the list, but with a player that will defer to him, Connor should be able to keep pace with 55.
Maybe i'm being a bit hard on Connor but i just think he's a very good scorer and he's just not getting it done. Ehlers i was giving some slack because he's coming off major surgery and Ehlers also doesn't get Connor's ice time or PP time. Don't get me wrong Connor is a good hockey player but if he's not scoring it really hurts what he brings to a game.

Jun 15, 2013
Winnipeg
Flames are not the team we need to worry about.
A better description behind the Jets playoffs odds are "the Flames are not the only team we DON'T have to worry about."

The math for the wild card spots goes beyond simply the teams chasing us. The teams above us need to win as to hold on to their positions, all of which affect the odds.

Moneypuck still has the Jets at 79.4% to make the playoffs, reaching round 2 (42.6%) and round 3 (22.2%).

The odds of the Jets making the Western Final is better than those of either Nashville (22.1%) or Calgary (21.9%) to even make the playoffs.

Last edited:

LowLefty

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Dec 29, 2016
Maybe i'm being a bit hard on Connor but i just think he's a very good scorer and he's just not getting it done. Ehlers i was giving some slack because he's coming off major surgery and Ehlers also doesn't get Connor's ice time or PP time. Don't get me wrong Connor is a good hockey player but if he's not scoring it really hurts what he brings to a game.
I hope the separate Scheif / KC -
They can be magic out there some nights - and other nights they are hard to watch.
Both are all about the offense. Some nights they prove me wrong - some they don't.
I wish they would at least put in the effort that would leave me thinking they care about both ends - regardless of how effective they are.

Gordon112358

Nov 1, 2022
It's disappointing to see how BSD's game has deteriorated over the last couple of months. At one point his GAA and save percentage were similar to Hellebuyck. But he was awful against the Islanders and last night he let in 2 perhaps 3 that never should have been goals.
I hope we can bounce back against a Bruins team but I have my doubts. Boston has lost 2 in a row and won't be in a good mood coming in here. Look the F out.

WaveRaven

Apr 30, 2011
MB
#1 line is benched...

Nino - we didn't deserve to play
Chef - no comment
Connor - no comment

The new guy takes responsibility. The old guys go into a corner and cry because for the first time in Winnipeg a coach held them accountable.
The last coach let them get away with this crap for their careers to date. It's not easy to change. I have been wondering if as the season progressed we would see them regress. They have been for quite some time now.

JetsUK

Oct 1, 2015
The thing that make me worry about the way they are playing is they are winning after dumping players and without Forsberg and Johansen

Classic.

Garbage-time winners... erm, playoff heroes.

But I agree with @ps241 upthread -- if NSH continues at this crazy pace then they deserve the spot.

Jets have the points and (notionally) the horses to pull this off. They need to win all of the games they should and a few they shouldn't.

And KFC needs to go down to the crossroads and sell some soul for the goal(s).

Dillon is a pretty decent defensive dman - other than when he plays with Pionk.
I thinks it's safe to say Pionk is the issue regardless of where you put him -
Why the hell should be need to shelter a $6M dman?

Agree.

This is a significant issue and has been for several seasons now.

Stanley / Heinola / Whomever gets some sheltering because of experience.

You're paying a D 6 million to drive his pairing, not sink it.

JetsUK

Oct 1, 2015
I don't disagree that our top guys revert back at times. Conner has never been good defensively which is an issue when he slumps. Wheeler just has aged out and crosses the line too often in terms of penalties. Scheifele has been much better this year for the most part but still has games or stretches of disorganized/lazy play. Rome wasn't built in a day so I have some patience to see how it plays out with Mark. Ehlers usually offsets his mediocre d play with elite play driving but the operation has hurt his speed this year. That has resulted in decreased effectiveness in that aspect of his game.

The one top 6 guy that looked like he was the prototypical fit for Bones system was Dubois with his power/skill hybrid game. He was fantastic early this year but his play the back half of the year just raises more questions. Has he been hurt most the second half, is it conditioning, etc? It's just odd.

I know he's a rookie but we miss Cole a lot because he is very good at all those small things that lead to quick exits and controlled entries. He is also responsible in his end.

We honestly need more of that type of all around play in our top 6. I wish a guy like Conner was as good off the puck as Perfetti is as a rookie. We'd be a much better team for it.

But I like getting El Nino as it brings some more balance to our forward core. Ideally we get one more hard nosed complimentary scorer like him and build some truly balanced lines.

Yep, Cole P is already playing a mature D game, age and size notwithstanding.

KFC has the speed, skill and hockey brain to at least make it evens -- why can't he?

Frustrating game to watch, and lose. Bright spots included the 4th, Names, Nino and Ehlers who had a second strong game in a row and was very dangerous.

Pionk needs to sit once JMo back. Stan can't be (much) worse, and IIRC Capo can play on the right side, sort of.

He is costing us a goal or more game after game.

Wheeler too might need to play less, especially in the back end of games.

Jet

Free Capo!
Jul 20, 2004
Florida
I just want to point out, we competed with one of the best teams in the league while not having our Vezina winning goalie and our Norris competing defenseman.
And 2 of our top 6.

Also, it's not like the Oilers are out of the woods here. Maybe the Preds and Jets get in, that would actually be better!

kanadalainen

A pint of dark matter, please.
Jan 7, 2017
The 100th Meridian
KFC has the speed, skill and hockey brain to at least make it evens -- why can't he?
81_sU5.gif

Just needs a neuronal cytoplasm change and filter. Maybe reset the timing.

Guffman

Apr 7, 2016
Bah! I'll disagree with this. The more input the better.

If you disagree with his tweeted points, it's pointless to post about it here since he won't respond.

If you want to dialogue with him over this points, reply to him on Twitter.

Channelcat

Unhinged user
Feb 8, 2013
Canada
If you disagree with his tweeted points, it's pointless to post about it here since he won't respond.

If you want to dialogue with him over this points, reply to him on Twitter.
I've got no issues with the reposting. Although I will say that him and Aavco need to control their narrative or they take their ball and go home. Not for me.

DRW204

Dec 26, 2010
his individual goal-scoring is a bit down this year for sure. still on pace for 32.

at 5v5 he's on pace for 21 goals
on the PP he's on pace for 9

his per-82gp average in those two since the 17-18 year are 23 and 11. so not far off. it's the EN goals (last season he had 6, vs 1 this year), maybe a couple OT or SH ones that are dragging it down a bit.

but overall when he's on the ice, the Jets are out-shooting, out-chancing, and most importantly out-scoring the opposition for the first time since 17-18.

1678894278266.png

he still is below-average defensively id say, and prone to fleeing the Ozone quickly which i think was an issue last night.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad