Candidates to coach in Tucson

Status
Not open for further replies.

Kaizen

Sep 30, 2004
Prince George B.C.
John Slaney is the most likely name to head the Tucson team - any other candidates that make sense?

In the event Slaney is not the man, one possibility is Richard Matvichuk. He's played under Tip and had some success in the coaching ranks.

If Slaney is hired would an assistant or associate coaching position in the A be a step up from the ECHL?

The rumour is that he'll be named the new head coach of the Prince George Cougars (WHL) but until the deal is signed, it ain't no deal. ;)

rt

The Kinder, Gentler Version
May 13, 2004
A Rockwellian Pleasantville
Could be Jeff Halpern.

I doubt Philippe Boucher would give up the Quebec Remparts GM/HC job to be the HC of an AHL club in Tucson, but if DT hints that Playfair is on thin ice or that he himself might step up to the front-office in the next few years and Philippe Boucher would then have a clear path to the HC AZ job, he might pay his dues in Tucson.

Mark Lamb played for DT in Houston and then retired. DT brought him in as an AC in Dallas his first year as HC there. Lamb remained an HC during DT's entire tenure in Dallas. When DT came to AZ, Lamb went back to the WHL (he's yet another Sasky boy) to coach the Swift Current Broncos where he has served as HC/GM for the last seven years. The team has not once made it out of the 1st round in that time, and it might be time for him to get out of town before he gets canned. DT (caring more about relationships than results) might be inclined to throw his old pal a life-line in Tucson. PS - they were also briefly teammates in Philly for the Flyers.

So I'm going to say it will definitely be Mark Lamb. And Les Jackson will be the AGM who manages the Tucson team. The band will be fully back together with DT, Lamb, and Les Jackson.

Last edited:

Mosby

Salt Lake Bound
Feb 16, 2012
Toronto
I mentioned Mike Yeo in the other thread. Sure it's a step down for him, but it's something. Played for Tippett in Houston.

Another name is John Torchetti, who did well as the interim in Minnesota but wasn't retained when the Wild had the opportunity to get Boudreau.

This also seems doubtful, but you could replace Playfair with Slaney and then have Playfair take over in Tucson.

SniperHF

Rejecting Reports
Mar 9, 2007
Phoenix
I mentioned Mike Yeo in the other thread. Sure it's a step down for him, but it's something. Played for Tippett in Houston.

Since Yeo has the option of just collecting his Wild paycheck I think that makes him extremely unlikely.

Mosby

Salt Lake Bound
Feb 16, 2012
Toronto
Kirk Muller out in STL too. Unlikely that he'd take an AHL coaching gig, but may as well add his name to the list. Played for Tipp in Dallas.

Ebb

the nondescript
Dec 22, 2015
PA
What about Mike Haviland?

I'm not sure of his contract's length at Colorado College (and perhaps he wants to keep coaching at the college level), but he hasn't done too well there (12-54-4 over two seasons) compared to when he was coaching at the AHL (.613 pct) or ECHL (.658 pct) levels.

He was also an Assistant Coach for the Blackhawks for 4 seasons.

I'm guessing he'll be staying with Colorado College, but you never know...

Mosby

Salt Lake Bound
Feb 16, 2012
Toronto
Kirk Muller off the list too, though he was an incredible long-shot. Credit to him though, he found a new gig in Boudreau-like speed.

BUX7PHX

Jul 7, 2011
Brad Shaw would be a pretty good get. Wish we would have known that Ulf could be available, but conflict of interest would be present with Philip and Henrik on the team.

Ebb

the nondescript
Dec 22, 2015
PA
Possibilities from the ECHL...

Derek Lalonde (Toledo Walleye)
My pick, if willing to move. Nice little interview from a few years ago (although it somewhat indicates that they may not be willing to move--family nearby)

Spencer Carberry (SC Stingrays)
Admittedly, this is doubtful as well (he has a lot of family in SC), but he has done relatively well at the ECHL level. I'm guessing he'll stay on there one more year, but if he wanted to move up, Tucson might be a good move.

Rob Murray (Alaska Aces)
Perhaps not the best option, but does have some AHL coaching experience. Of course he hasn't done spectacularly well at the ECHL level the last few seasons, so I guess I would pass, but he'd probably work well in the GroupThink model and seems decent at developing players.

Mosby

Salt Lake Bound
Feb 16, 2012
Toronto
How about Steve Thomas? His contract was not renewed by Tampa so he's now a free agent. Could be a nice stepping stone for him if he's looking to become an NHL head coach some day.

I don't believe he has any connections to anyone within the Coyotes' front office. However, he'd get any opportunity to coach his son, Christian Thomas, assuming we re-sign him (RFA).

SportsRacer21

Mar 12, 2007
Columbia, MO
Possibilities from the ECHL...

Derek Lalonde (Toledo Walleye)
My pick, if willing to move. Nice little interview from a few years ago (although it somewhat indicates that they may not be willing to move--family nearby)

Spencer Carberry (SC Stingrays)
Admittedly, this is doubtful as well (he has a lot of family in SC), but he has done relatively well at the ECHL level. I'm guessing he'll stay on there one more year, but if he wanted to move up, Tucson might be a good move.

Rob Murray (Alaska Aces)
Perhaps not the best option, but does have some AHL coaching experience. Of course he hasn't done spectacularly well at the ECHL level the last few seasons, so I guess I would pass, but he'd probably work well in the GroupThink model and seems decent at developing players.

Another interesting ECHL name is Richard Matvichuk of the Missouri Mavericks. Has a Tippett connection (played 2 seasons in Dallas under Tippett), was an associate coach for the Allen Americans in the 1st two seasons of their current 4-straight championships run and coached the Mavericks to a 52-15-5 (.757) record this year. I saw them play once earlier this year and that team was very impressive. Most lopsided hockey game I've ever been at, it seriously looked like a Canada-Italy game and the final score (7-1) could have been much worse.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad