Canda vs. USSR/Russia...is there a more storied international rivalry in sports?

Dima87*

I don't think so. USSR/Russia vs. Canada has the most tradition of any rivalry imo. It had everything, contrasts in styles of play, politics, and plenty of controversial moments.

Big Phil

Nov 2, 2003
You're porbabl right altough I can think of at least one other team that give it a run for its money. Boston Red Sox vs. New York Yankees. These teams have had a reason to hate each other since 1920.

There's Babe Ruth getting traded to the Yanks and becoming the best Baseball player of all time. Boston then won a World Series in 1918 but not until 2004 and we all know about that curse of the Bambino. There's the whole DiMaggio/Williams rivalry, there's the penant race of 1949, there's the Yankees comeback in 2003 and Aaron Boone's homerun. Then there's Boston's comeback in 2004. Let's not forget Pedro Martinez vs. Don Zimmer.

Plus anytime the Red Sox came close to a World Series in those days whether it was 1975 or 1986 with Bill Buckner's gaffe, they were always reminded of that they never have won since trading away Ruth. There's always been that curse of the Bambino thing.

Outside of that you have Green Bay vs. Chicago. But it isnt quite at the same level.

amnesiac*

You're porbabl right altough I can think of at least one other team that give it a run for its money. Boston Red Sox vs. New York Yankees. These teams have had a reason to hate each other since 1920.

There's Babe Ruth getting traded to the Yanks and becoming the best Baseball player of all time. Boston then won a World Series in 1918 but not until 2004 and we all know about that curse of the Bambino. There's the whole DiMaggio/Williams rivalry, there's the penant race of 1949, there's the Yankees comeback in 2003 and Aaron Boone's homerun. Then there's Boston's comeback in 2004. Let's not forget Pedro Martinez vs. Don Zimmer.

Plus anytime the Red Sox came close to a World Series in those days whether it was 1975 or 1986 with Bill Buckner's gaffe, they were always reminded of that they never have won since trading away Ruth. There's always been that curse of the Bambino thing.

Outside of that you have Green Bay vs. Chicago. But it isnt quite at the same level.

90% of the world doesnt really give a crap about American football.

I would say soccer has some bigger rivalries, it is the largest global sport in the world.

ziggo66

Mar 1, 2006
Franconia
There's clearly the word "international" in the title of the thread. Why is there even talk about MLB or NFL rivalries?
USSR-Canada is basically a hockey-only rivalry, but I think it's right up there. Soccer has a ton of good, storied rivalries. Germany-Argentina, England-Germany, Brazil-Argentina and tons more....
I don't really know about other sports but I guess that USA-USSR was pretty big in lots of sports during the Cold War era.

Kimi

Jun 24, 2004
Newcastle upon Tyne
In cricket you've got England and Australia with the Ashes Every year and a half, there's a lot of history in that. And I'd rank India and Pakistan cricket games right at the top of a list of everything.

Dima87*

There's clearly the word "international" in the title of the thread. Why is there even talk about MLB or NFL rivalries?
USSR-Canada is basically a hockey-only rivalry, but I think it's right up there. Soccer has a ton of good, storied rivalries. Germany-Argentina, England-Germany, Brazil-Argentina and tons more....
I don't really know about other sports but I guess that USA-USSR was pretty big in lots of sports during the Cold War era.

It's ahockey rivalry only but I meant one single sport anyway. I agreethat soccer has alot of heated rivalries but the international rivalries don't come close to the club ones. Argentina-England, Brazil-Argentina, etc are all strng rivalries but imo USSR/Russia vs. Canada tops everything because it had it ALL. Everythin you can possibly want in a rivalry.

DaSystem

Dec 7, 2007
Toronto
In soccer, Argentina-England, Germany-England, Germany-Netherlands, Germany-Italy (the rivalry that produced the "game of the century", there was this German defender who played in an Italian club, that only had like a goal in his career, but he scored in that game which resulted in a beating when he came back to his club), Argentina-Brazil, Argentina-Uruguay, Spain-Portugal, but the ones that takes the cake Greece-Turkey and Serbia-Croatia (they loath each other)

Dima87*

In soccer, Argentina-England, Germany-England, Germany-Netherlands, Germany-Italy (the rivalry that produced the "game of the century", there was this German defender who played in an Italian club, that only had like a goal in his career, but he scored in that game which resulted in a beating when he came back to his club), Argentina-Brazil, Argentina-Uruguay, Spain-Portugal, but the ones that takes the cake Greece-Turkey and Serbia-Croatia (they loath each other)

These teams have barely played each other though. I know the political factor involved, I see what you're saying in that regard.

Squiffy

Victims, rn't we all
Oct 21, 2006
Toronto
Pakistan-India in cricket? I know nothing about it other than it's fierce.

edit: Didn't see Kimi's post above...

Last edited:

Crosbyfan

Nov 27, 2003
In cricket you've got England and Australia with the Ashes Every year and a half, there's a lot of history in that. And I'd rank India and Pakistan cricket games right at the top of a list of everything.

+1

This is the first thing that came to mind.

Obviously the football (not the football where only rarely does one guy per team foot the ball) rivalries mentioned as well have to top any in hockey.

For Canada the USSR or Russia rivalry is the top in sport but would most Russians even agree?

Dima87*

+1

This is the first thing that came to mind.

Obviously the football (not the football where only rarely does one guy per team foot the ball) rivalries mentioned as well have to top any in hockey.

For Canada the USSR or Russia rivalry is the top in sport but would most Russians even agree?

Informed Russians would certainly agree. We don't really have any fierce rivals in soccer or any other sports desite our success.

MadArcand

Whaletarded
Dec 19, 2006
Seat of the Empire
I believe Sweden - Finland is a bigger hockey rivalry, as is Slovakia - Czech Rep. Czechoslovakia - USSR was also bigger. There's simply not enough hate in Canada - Russia.

Dima87*

I believe Sweden - Finland is a bigger hockey rivalry, as is Slovakia - Czech Rep. Czechoslovakia - USSR was also bigger. There's simply not enough hate in Canada - Russia.

There still is hate in Russia/Canada. Not as fierce as it used to be but to compared Sweden-Finland Slovakia-Czech Rep. is just ludicrous. None of these games come close to matching the tradition that is USSR/Russia vs. Canada.

MadArcand

Whaletarded
Dec 19, 2006
Seat of the Empire
There still is hate in Russia/Canada. Not as fierce as it used to be but to compared Sweden-Finland Slovakia-Czech Rep. is just ludicrous. None of these games come close to matching the tradition that is USSR/Russia vs. Canada.
Tradition? Canadians don't go out on the ice looking to maim and kill Russians. Russians even less so. Would Canadian fans cheer if Ovechkin got injured? Very much doubt it, but everyone would cheer for Reichel/Jagr/Vyborny injury here.

Dima87*

Tradition? Canadians don't go out on the ice looking to maim and kill Russians. Russians even less so. Would Canadian fans cheer if Ovechkin got injured? Very much doubt it, but everyone would cheer for Reichel/Jagr/Vyborny injury here.

Maybe you just know very little about the rivalry then.

Czech/Slovak rivalry has zero tradition when compared to Russia/Canada. It's not even up for debate. If you have a link to some on ice clashed between the Czechs and Slovaks please post them.

Ogopogo*

The Nicaragua/Mongolia rivalry has always been quite compelling...

MadArcand

Whaletarded
Dec 19, 2006
Seat of the Empire
Maybe you just know very little about the rivalry then.

Czech/Slovak rivalry has zero tradition when compared to Russia/Canada. It's not even up for debate. If you have a link to some on ice clashed between the Czechs and Slovaks please post them.
Apparently, you just don't understand. It's what Quebec vs. Canada would be if Quebece separated, just with less skill. It transcends hockey.

Dima87*

Apparently, you just don't understand. It's what Quebec vs. Canada would be if Quebece separated, just with less skill. It transcends hockey.

Would be being the main words. Russia and Polan would be a great rivalry ( football), but the teas barely play eachother nowadays. Russia vs. Ukraine would be a great rivalry (in football) but the teams played eachother twice in nearly 20 years.

Canada/Russia IS a great rivalry, not as fierce as it once was but it will always be hockey's and maybe the world's greatest.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad