Proposal: Canadiens trades vs (arz)(njd)(sjs)(ana)

GRECOHAB

Jun 1, 2013
DESHARNAIS and FLYNN for PRONGER and 3rd round pick

Montreal needs cap space in order to make a move or two, that can nring them in consideration of contending this year. Arizona has Pronger's contract just as an insurance policy to reach the cap floor, but why not consider acquiring two players that can help them this year in exchange of a dead contract spot. Even if both players dont pan out there are both UFA at the end of the year, so they dont resign them, or they even trade them at the deadline if there are any takers. Montreal can just put Pronger's contract at LTIR, for the whole year and save approx. 4,5M. Win win for both teams.

EMELIN for SAVARD and 2nd round pick

The Devils are indeed trying hard to upgrade their team and they are doing a hell of a job. They lack some experience and depth at Defence though, and Emelin can truly be a very effective player for them. He plays the teams style and can play both sides as a 3rd-4th D. The Canadiens makes this trade because they need the cap space as i wrote before. The 2nd round pick seems fair and could be conditional if Emelin plays above 50% of the games and the Devils make the playoffs.If not it can be a 3rd round pick. The salary involved in the trade is a wash and the Canadiens can put Savard all year at LTIR and benefit of 4M cap space.

CONDON for GOODROW and a 5th

With the addition of Montoya and Lindgren its believed that Condon is expendable. I would say that he should be welcomed from any team needing a backup goalie. From the teams rosters so far, a team in need of a backup is SJS. At first the asking price should be a 3rd rounder, but after looking at their depth chart i desided the above trade would be more interesting for both sides. This mone saves an additional 500K the Canadiens as Goodrow is only 23 and can begin his year at the AHL.

With these moves the Canadiens can have above 8M in cap space. Both Savard's and Pronger's contracts doesn't exceed the 10% above salary summer restrictions (7,3M plus 73M is above 80M allowed until the season opener).

They can use those 8M as followed:

1. Sign Hudler to a 1Y / 4M contract

Hudler is still unsigned. He is a responsible player that can be a 20G/20A guy. He would look good at Plekanec's LW, but its imperative his contact is only for 1 year. The Canadiens need all options with Galchenuyk's and Beaulieu's contracts up, plus we can have a good idea of what Arturri Lehkonen can provide.

2. Trade 2017 1st round pick plus DeLaRose and Sherbak for Fowler

Anaheim is shopping Fowler, as they should because of the plethora of quality Defencemen. Not to say that Fowler is not a good defender, but the asking price is high and should be. Probably the Ducks need quality forwards coming the other way in a Fowler trade, but with the rosters already quite set its really difficult to trade a top line LW, that the Ducks covet, unless its a move for a player like Buffalo's Kane, and im not sure the want to go that route. The above package is as good as it gets for Fowlers value if they find no suitors. If they opt to not move Fowler now they are risking reducing his value. Fowler would look great as top pairing with Weber in Montreal.

MONTREAL'S LINEUP

PRICE / MONTOYA

PACIORETTY / GALCHENUYK / GALLAGHER
HUDLER / PLEKANEC / RADULOV
CARR / SHAW / ANDRIGHETTO
DANAULT / MITCHELL / BYRON
ex. LEHKONEN

FOWLER / WEBER
MARKOV / PETRY
BEAULIEU / PATERYN
ex.BARBERIO

...thats a contending lineup, thoughts...

Last edited:

SpeakingOfTheDevils

Devils Advocate
Jan 22, 2010
Philadelphia, PA
It appears Shero is gunning for a defensive style similar to what he employed in his Pittsburgh years -- PMD-heavy, with a few vets sprinkled here and there. Mostly steady guys. I don't think Emelin necessarily fits that mold.

I'd rather keep the 2nd rounder. Not a bad proposal, though, but I'd politely decline.

Number1RedWingsFan52

Mar 17, 2013
Winter Haven Florida

Montreal needs cap space in order to make a move or two, that can nring them in consideration of contending this year. Arizona has Pronger's contract just as an insurance policy to reach the cap floor, but why not consider acquiring two players that can help them this year in exchange of a dead contract spot. Even if both players dont pan out there are both UFA at the end of the year, so they dont resign them, or they even trade them at the deadline if there are any takers. Montreal can just put Pronger's contract at LTIR, for the whole year and save approx. 4,5M. Win win for both teams.

The Devils are indeed trying hard to upgrade their team and they are doing a hell of a job. They lack some experience and depth at Defence though, and Emelin can truly be a very effective player for them. He plays the teams style and can play both sides as a 3rd-4th D. The Canadiens makes this trade because they need the cap space as i wrote before. The 2nd round pick seems fair and could be conditional if Emelin plays above 50% of the games and the Devils make the playoffs.If not it can be a 3rd round pick. The salary involved in the trade is a wash and the Canadiens can put Savard all year at LTIR and benefit of 4M cap space.

With the addition of Montoya and Lindgren its believed that Condon is expendable. I would say that he should be welcomed from any team needing a backup goalie. From the teams rosters so far, a team in need of a backup is SJS. At first the asking price should be a 3rd rounder, but after looking at their depth chart i desided the above trade would be more interesting for both sides. This mone saves an additional 500K the Canadiens as Goodrow is only 23 and can begin his year at the AHL.

With these moves the Canadiens can have above 8M in cap space. Both Savard's and Pronger's contracts doesn't exceed the 10% above salary summer restrictions (7,3M plus 73M is above 80M allowed until the season opener).

Sign Hudler to a 1Y / 4M contract

Hudler is still unsigned. He is a responsible player that can be a 20G/20A guy. He would look good at Plekanec's LW, but its imperative his contact is only for 1 year. The Canadiens need all options with Galchenuyk's and Beaulieu's contracts up, plus we can have a good idea of what Arturri Lehkonen can provide.

Trade 2017 1st round pick plus DeLaRose and Sherbak for Fowler

Anaheim is shopping Fowler, as they should because of the plethora of quality Defencemen. Not to say that Fowler is not a good defender, but the asking price is high and should be. Probably the Ducks need quality forwards coming the other way in a Fowler trade, but with the rosters already quite set its really difficult to trade a top line LW, that the Ducks covet, unless its a move for a player like Buffalo's Kane, and im not sure the want to go that route. The above package is as good as it gets for Fowlers value if they find no suitors. If they opt to not move Fowler now they are risking reducing his value. Fowler would look great as top pairing with Weber in Montreal.

MONTREAL'S LINEUP

PRICE / CONDON

HUDLER / PLEKANEC / RADULOV
ex. LEHKONEN

FOWLER / WEBER
MARKOV / PETRY
BEAULIEU / PATERYN
ex.BARBERIO

DeLaRose and Sherbak aren't going to get you Fowler even with a 1st attached to it, Why? Would Ducks GM Bob Murray want DeLaRose who's only has 55 NHL games to his credit. No way does this get you Fowler. Other then moving either Gally or Patches and that's not happening i doubt that Montreal has the pieces that Murray would want for Fowler. Don't see Montreal and Anaheim being good trading partners here. And Hudler isn't signing a 1 year deal he will easily get at least 2 to 3 years here.

Hally BlackWood

Jul 31, 2010
Thunder Bay

Sign Hudler to a 1Y / 4M contract

Trade 2017 1st round pick plus DeLaRose and Sherbak for Fowler

MONTREAL'S LINEUP

PRICE / CONDON

HUDLER/ PLEKANEC / RADULOV
ex. LEHKONEN

FOWLER / WEBER
MARKOV / PETRY
BEAULIEU / PATERYN
ex.BARBERIO

lol nj isnt trading away a 2nd round pick, at this point it makes no sense for them. If we want depth why wouldn't we just sign wisniewski and not give up a second. Theres other options that are now in the bargain bin that we can scoop up for pennies on the dollar. Ray shero can go threw rest of the offseason using his change purse, hes done his job and did it quite well.

Halla

Jan 28, 2016
emelin and desharnais returning a 2nd and 3rd?
lol no

Brew

The top of HF’s most disliked
Sep 22, 2007
Desharnais is not ever coming to Arizona. Stop trying to trade him, literally NOBODY wants him.

Ginu

Feb 25, 2009
www.twitter.com
DeLaRose and Sherbak aren't going to get you Fowler even with a 1st attached to it, Why? Would Ducks GM Bob Murray want DeLaRose who's only has 55 NHL games to his credit. No way does this get you Fowler. Other then moving either Gally or Patches and that's not happening i doubt that Montreal has the pieces that Murray would want for Fowler. Don't see Montreal and Anaheim being good trading partners here. And Hudler isn't signing a 1 year deal he will easily get at least 2 to 3 years here.

Not sure if serious. Value wise, if Murray rejects Scherbak and a 1st for Fowler he should be fired. Fowler is not worth two 1sts.

Number1RedWingsFan52

Mar 17, 2013
Winter Haven Florida
Not sure if serious. Value wise, if Murray rejects Scherbak and a 1st for Fowler he should be fired. Fowler is not worth two 1sts.

I'm totally serious, Why? Would Murray want Sherbak who right now is a unknown prospect who hasn't played at the NHL level yet plus a 1st for a proven Fowler get real here. Even Duck fans have suggested that any thing short of a return around either Gally or Patches would be totally unacceptable in a deal for Fowler and DeLaRose isn't a upgrade for Anaheim bottom line is that this deal isn't going to get you Fowler any team out there right now would blow this deal away.

Gecklund

Jul 17, 2012
California
While not bad value, I don't think I do the sharks trade unless we strike out on some of the other options. We have so many back-to-backs this year and we are going to need our backup to play 30-35 games. I would prefer Enroth.

Intangiblezz

Oct 21, 2012
I think our best best would be:

Davis Desharnais to CAR for a 3rd

Alexei Emelin to BUF for a 3rd

Mike Condon to anyone for a 4th

1st + Nikita Scherbak + ??? for Cam Fowler (not sure what would have to be added)

Sign Kris Versteeg 1 year, 1.5 million

mytduxfan*

It would have to be Patches or Galc for Fowler+ or the deal just wouldn't be worth for us. We need a high-end, proven goal scorer, not futures.

It's not always just about value.

smirob

Jun 2, 2014
It would have to be Patches or Galc for Fowler+ or the deal just wouldn't be worth for us. We need a high-end, proven goal scorer, not futures.

No chance we move Max or Galchenyuk, just creates an even larger hole.

At the end of the day, the best offer will be taken for Fowler. They aren't gonna risk losing a good dman to expansion.

Ginu

Feb 25, 2009
www.twitter.com

You were asking for 8th overall or 9th overall for Fowler at the draft straight up. You think that translates to Patch or Galchenyuk? Really?

Crosbysux

Dec 29, 2013
You were asking for 8th overall or 9th overall for Fowler at the draft straight up. You think that translates to Patch or Galchenyuk? Really?

There's nothing saying we were asking for the 8OA or 9OA straight up, most said it would part of a package. There's a reason both Buf and MTL were in talks with Ducks, because the picks were in play, it was what needed to be added that kills the trade. What needs to be added Buf and MTL don't have, which is why you don't hear us associated with those teams any longer. Tor, Col, Det and Boston are the teams that have been associated w/Fowler since the draft; most notable Detroit.

Cousin Eddie

You Serious Clark?
Nov 3, 2006
Ah, yes. The classic 5 trades by one team late in the offseason to completely change the franchise.

Trades rarely happen after the first week of free agency until the next season starts.

Last season from the 2nd week of July until September there was 3 trades. The year before was one. Year before that there were 3 and the year before that there were 2. That's league wide. This year the Habs will make 5 alone...

mytduxfan*

No chance we move Max or Galchenyuk, just creates an even larger hole.

Agreed, but that's the asking price.

At the end of the day, the best offer will be taken for Fowler. They aren't gonna risk losing a good dman to expansion.

True, but that can wait until next year if needs be. No need to take a **** deal just to benefit MTL or any other team Fowler ends up at.

Wrong. There is no report that says it was for 8th OA or 9th OA "straight up". Now you're just making stuff up. I don't think MTL is willing the move the pieces necessary to acquire Fowler.

59Rosebuds

Aug 17, 2015
Columbia
I think our best best would be:

Davis Desharnais to CAR for a 3rd

Alexei Emelin to BUF for a 3rd

Mike Condon to anyone for a 4th

1st + Nikita Scherbak + ??? for Cam Fowler (not sure what would have to be added)

Sign Kris Versteeg 1 year, 1.5 million

Francis doesn't make those kinds of deals. Seemingly the only way Desharnais would be coming to Carolina is if his contract is unbearable to Montreal and you guys add something. (Like how we got Bickell and Versteeg and I like Versteeg a lot). Besides I wouldn't put Desharnais above either Rask or J. Staal.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad