Confirmed with Link: Canadiens sign Tom Parisi

montreal

Go Habs Go
Mar 21, 2002
www.youtube.com
well what else do you expect out of a undrafted college FA

the next best option is lyon, who we dont need and have better prospects, or one of the small forwards who the board would complain about.

Lyon would be a great add, although some think he won't turn pro this year so that when he does next year, he won't be limited to an ELC and can sign for higher dollars.

I'm holding out hope we get Oksanen from BU.

Whitesnake

If you rebuild, they will come.
Jan 5, 2003
Lyon would be a great add, although some think he won't turn pro this year so that when he does next year, he won't be limited to an ELC and can sign for higher dollars.

I'm holding out hope we get Oksanen from BU.

:laugh: We've been talking about Oksanen for such a long time now....not sure it will ever happen.

jfm133

Nov 6, 2015
:laugh: Oh you are so right about this. Who are you? 'Cause you are bashing me right? And how often are you wrong? Oh never...as you have no opinions except bashing posters. And how will you hide? Yeah, surely by saying that it's all about hindsight now?

Not a whole lot to talk about buddy as I did came in here and praised him for quite a few things. But I guess you have your options at "selective reading"....I suggest you change that if you want to have intelligent conversations next time.

I am quite new here backing the organization and what they did up to now and espicially this season. Also I am one of the few in my camp, so I will be very easy to track me down if next year is a disaster. On the other hand, it is impossible to track down all the impatient overexcited fans that spilled their venom on MB, MT and SL this year. It's the vast majority here. For me it's worrisome, because it tells a lot about the level of fans here. But this is just my opinion. Let's see what will happen next year. But I aleready know what I will read. It's all to Price. Price is saving MT again and all that crap we aleready know. Again, you cannot be wrong with this way of thinking. Even with a Stanley Cup, MB and MT would not get credit from you. It would be too hard to admit you were wrong all the way.

Runner77

Sponsor
Jun 24, 2012
Well, Bergevin did say he wanted to build through the draft, and College FAs count as kind of the same thing in my book.

He did draft a first line talent in Galchenyuk, a potential middle 6 player or better in McCarron, and what looks like a good offensive prospect in Scherbak. Carr and Andrighetto could be complementary offpensive players, maybe Hudon too. He picked up a backup goalie from the NCAA as well. Not sure if Juulsen will make a splash, but I'm willing to give that time.

As for bigger impact, he landed one good FA, a 27 year old defenceman that can play both ends of the ice. Petry is a minute-eating #2 D if/when healthy.

Unfortunately, Bergevin has not landed a big fish UFA nor traded for a star forward. But that's not a good reason to knock Parisi, who is reported to be a smooth skater with good IQ, and meets an organizational need at LD to boot.

I'll give credit and dispense optimism where warranted, but a college draft FA does not equal a relatively high NHL draft pick. Plus, Bergevin is not the charmer and signer that some other organizations have been, from similar threads in past years where other teams got to the better players and Bergevin had to fend for lesser talents.

Second, McCarron likely projects as a third liner, the "middle sixer" reference conveniently raises his potential stock. Of course, no one knows the future but there are attributes that we're seeing and it's based on what we know right now.

Third, Petry is far from a 2nd D, he's a top 4 from the many accounts I've seen. Oiler pundits and fans never believed he was more than a top 4 and they've had him in their system longer than he's been a Hab. I don't think we can use this year as a measuring stick but he is not elite by any means, does a few things well. I don't think we have a bona fide no. 2 D at the NHL level at this moment.

Fourth, landing a big fish UFA or trading for an elite player has nothing to do with Parisi, who should simply be evaluated on his own merit vs. other FA players available and how well Bergevin has done in canvassing those other options and whether he can sign better than Parisi.

Whitesnake

Jan 5, 2003
I am quite new here backing the organization and what they did up to now and espicially this season. Also I am one of the few in my camp, so I will be very easy to track me down if next year is a disaster. On the other hand, it is impossible to track down all the impatient overexcited fans that spilled their venom on MB, MT and SL this year. It's the vast majority here. For me it's worrisome, because it tells a lot about the level of fans here. But this is just my opinion. Let's see what will happen next year. But I aleready know what I will read. It's all to Price. Price is saving MT again and all that crap we aleready know. Again, you cannot be wrong with this way of thinking. Even with a Stanley Cup, MB and MT would not get credit from you. It would be too hard to admit you were wrong all the way.

Well since you are quite new here...you then have NO IDEA how I talked about Bergevin for the 4 years of his tenure as GM do you? How do you know how hard it is for me to admit something? Aren't you new here again? How are you so able to judge posters in so little weeks....yet are willing to give so many years to a GM?

jfm133

Nov 6, 2015
Sure pal. MB knew he needed top 6 help last year and did nothing. By the time your plan comes to fruition our current core will be gone. At some point a good GM knows when to make a big trade or sign a top FA. If all we are doing is building though the draft then make Timmins our GM.

False. The core won't be gone. If healthy Subbam and Price will be top players for at least 7 more years. Pacioretty can be traded for younger players down the road if needed. All this window of two years for the cup is a myth.

Runner77

Sponsor
Jun 24, 2012
Well since you are quite new here...you then have NO IDEA how I talked about Bergevin for the 4 years of his tenure as GM do you? How do you know how hard it is for me to admit something? Aren't you new here again? How are you so able to judge posters in so little weeks....yet are willing to give so many years to a GM?

Do not taunt the snake. ;)

jfm133

Nov 6, 2015

I am new as a poster, not a reader.

Feb 20, 2012
Calgary
False. The core won't be gone. If healthy Subbam and Price will be top players for at least 7 more years. Pacioretty can be traded for younger players down the road if needed. All this window of two years for the cup is a myth.

Sure Sammy Pollock. Your comments make you sound like you are actually MT or MB. It is okay to believe in the current regime but I am with snake and have seen way too much inaction for a team that was close to competing for Stanley. Check out the Oilers for a team that strictly builds through the draft.

Whitesnake

Jan 5, 2003
I am new as a poster, not a reader.

Great. So you are then aware that I praised Bergevin at first for the management team that he build. That getting Stéphane Waite was a work of genius. That the Ryder AND 3rd for Cole deal was great when it happened. I liked some players at the dev camp that he signed afterwards, you don't think I liked that? Yet in today's case, you would have hope that Parisi would have shown more scoresheet wise...but I liked him at camp. Same with Johnston. That the Vanek deal was great when it happened. That at first, he totally reinstated a sentiment of greatness and professionnalism over the fiasco in the previous yaer that Gauthier was. That even if I HAD BEEN WRONG on Kristo, that I liked the Thomas deal for what it was. That I Liked acquiring a 2nd rounder for Gorges. That acquring Mitchell for Nevins and a 7th rounder, I liked it when it happened, for what it was. That the Petry deal was awesome. Even the Kassian and 5th rounder was good. That acquiring Lessio was VERY GOOD. And more recently, I praised getting Danault.

So Mr. Reader....where were you all that time? Yeah, I know....you can't read everything right? Totally understandable..yet again...how the **** can people judge posters so harshly as you did when they just have no idea what they're talking about?

Yet, I'm totally consequent with the draft picks thing. I give this to the scouting group and head scout. You will NEVER read me saying that this or that player was Serge Savard, Gauthier, Bergevin or Houle's. I will not. I'm attributing picks to scouts. Attributing deals, UFA's and contract signings to Bergevin.

But despite all the "good moves" he did, point still remains. As of today, from his own very moves by MY standards, 'cause in the end it's MY opinion, as a great player, he brought Petry. And I guess that at one point real soon, we'll be able to name Condon in there. That's it. So far. Opinions can change. As I'm analysing what I see NOW. I guess you can predict what will happen in the future, I can't. But that great team of his didn't prove me they were that great. Still hoping things will evolve but that great team of his seems to have transformed into a great coutnry club, when nobody is accountable, when if you have a powerplay problem, you'll just move the guy in charge around, I guess next time, the video guy will be in charge of it....I have no idea how you can be patient and how you can be confortable with a guy who says that it's all on him, but he has nothing to be blamed for. That drafting is hard, trading is hard, everything is hard.....all this pessimistic view of how he's seeing his job and you don't expect people to be dissapointed?

Tyson

Mar 1, 2007
Texas
Well, Bergevin did say he wanted to build through the draft, and College FAs count as kind of the same thing in my book.

He did draft a first line talent in Galchenyuk, a potential middle 6 player or better in McCarron, and what looks like a good offensive prospect in Scherbak. Carr and Andrighetto could be complementary offpensive players, maybe Hudon too. He picked up a backup goalie from the NCAA as well. Not sure if Juulsen will make a splash, but I'm willing to give that time.

As for bigger impact, he landed one good FA, a 27 year old defenceman that can play both ends of the ice. Petry is a minute-eating #2 D if/when healthy.

Unfortunately, Bergevin has not landed a big fish UFA nor traded for a star forward. But that's not a good reason to knock Parisi, who is reported to be a smooth skater with good IQ, and meets an organizational need at LD to boot.

Maybe he forgot to give his strategy memo to the head coach who is only playing the kids because of injuries.

montreal

Go Habs Go
Mar 21, 2002
www.youtube.com
I have a lot less issues with Bergevin and Therrien then others do around here as I think they go way overboard. Not to say they both don't have their faults and I get it, for me my main concern has always been the development side, the hiring and re-hiring of Lefebvre, not having a single playoff game in the AHL for 4 years. All that is very troubling to me.

Miller Time

Sep 16, 2004
Until bergevin addresses the ineptness behind the bench at both the NHL & especially the AHL, it doesn't really matter how many FA young players or euros he brings in.

jfm133

Nov 6, 2015
Great. So you are then aware that I praised Bergevin at first for the management team that he build. That getting Stéphane Waite was a work of genius. That the Ryder AND 3rd for Cole deal was great when it happened. I liked some players at the dev camp that he signed afterwards, you don't think I liked that? Yet in today's case, you would have hope that Parisi would have shown more scoresheet wise...but I liked him at camp. Same with Johnston. That the Vanek deal was great when it happened. That at first, he totally reinstated a sentiment of greatness and professionnalism over the fiasco in the previous yaer that Gauthier was. That even if I HAD BEEN WRONG on Kristo, that I liked the Thomas deal for what it was. That I Liked acquiring a 2nd rounder for Gorges. That acquring Mitchell for Nevins and a 7th rounder, I liked it when it happened, for what it was. That the Petry deal was awesome. Even the Kassian and 5th rounder was good. That acquiring Lessio was VERY GOOD. And more recently, I praised getting Danault.

So Mr. Reader....where were you all that time? Yeah, I know....you can't read everything right? Totally understandable..yet again...how the **** can people judge posters so harshly as you did when they just have no idea what they're talking about?

Yet, I'm totally consequent with the draft picks thing. I give this to the scouting group and head scout. You will NEVER read me saying that this or that player was Serge Savard, Gauthier, Bergevin or Houle's. I will not. I'm attributing picks to scouts. Attributing deals, UFA's and contract signings to Bergevin.

But despite all the "good moves" he did, point still remains. As of today, from his own very moves by MY standards, 'cause in the end it's MY opinion, as a great player, he brought Petry. And I guess that at one point real soon, we'll be able to name Condon in there. That's it. So far. Opinions can change. As I'm analysing what I see NOW. I guess you can predict what will happen in the future, I can't. But that great team of his didn't prove me they were that great. Still hoping things will evolve but that great team of his seems to have transformed into a great coutnry club, when nobody is accountable, when if you have a powerplay problem, you'll just move the guy in charge around, I guess next time, the video guy will be in charge of it....I have no idea how you can be patient and how you can be confortable with a guy who says that it's all on him, but he has nothing to be blamed for. That drafting is hard, trading is hard, everything is hard.....all this pessimistic view of how he's seeing his job and you don't expect people to be dissapointed?

You write way too much here. I mean by that that you cannot write on an hour to hour basis and have perspective on things. What you liked about Bergevin when he came in is still there. Your nose is just too close to the window. You are just lacking the patience to see the result. No realistic trade would have change the fate of this team this year without the Hart trophy winner. Even with him, we were not a Justin Williams away from the cup. Bergevin saw that and acted accordingly. A step backward to make a leap forward after. The price for that is a lost season. This price should have been paid before but Therrien and Price managed ways to avoid it.

deandebean

Jan 14, 2003
Gatineau
Visit site
You write way too much here. I mean by that that you cannot write on an hour to hour basis and have perspective on things. What you liked about Bergevin when he came in is still there. Your nose is just too close to the window. You are just lacking the patience to see the result. No realistic trade would have change the fate of this team this year without the Hart trophy winner. Even with him, we were not a Justin Williams away from the cup. Bergevin saw that and acted accordingly. A step backward to make a leap forward after. The price for that is a lost season. This price should have been paid before but Therrien and Price managed ways to avoid it.

Tell that to Molson. I'm pretty sure he's happy to lose $20M of revenues. Step back, eh? And to think administration was on the verge of hiking the ticket prices again next season to compensate for the US currency.

Real fact of the matter is he gambled that Price's injury wasn't severe and that a rookie goalie would compensate.

He put a lot of stress on his coaching staff (as bad as it is, it was still undue pressure) in the worst hockey market in the world when losing.

He put too much pressure on a rookie goalie in the worst hockey market for goalies. To the point where his teammates have zero confidwnce in his play. And rightfully so.

It wasn't patience this season. That's ********. It's just being caught his pants down. He never expected this crumble and it caught him by surprise. By the time it happened, it was too late. It happens in every business. That's how CEOs lose their jobs. They get caught by surprise.

Tyson

Mar 1, 2007
Texas
Until proven otherwise....you are totally right. He's going with flyers that cost nothing HOPING something dramatically goes right. A managing based on hope. Let's hope....it works. But it's not what I solely want from my GM. I do want some of that....but not all of that.

Hey, in that case....I guess it's fine. I mean....I liked him after all...:sarcasm:

I had a boss one time say "hope is not a strategy"...someone should tell Bergevin...:laugh:

Whitesnake

Jan 5, 2003

Noboyd is OBVIOUSLY stating that we could have saved the season. He STILL could have made more prior to this year. And even if we struggled this year, he still could have made moves to improve for future years. And even if you don,t want to talk about moves that he still could have made to improve the team....how about the moves he DIDN'T make despite the season that this season was done and over with when Price got injured. Where are the picks we could have acquired? Since he says that him and his coach are together in hockey decisions, how come we haven't played the kids so much in this year that was "a step backward" as you say? No additions of picks except a 2018 pick, that COULD be ready to be a factor in 2022 or 2023. But he did acquired a pick for Gorges for this year. I don't see the results to get more picks. I don,t see how this team was filled with playing the kids right from the moment the season went down, it took some major injuries for that to happen etc.

So I don't see it this year. Patience, for that, as NOTHING to do with it. We saw it. It's happening right now. Then, comes the evaluation of what his acquisitions will do for the future, yet again, you decide to mostly talk about the kids that were drafted and attribute it to Bergevin. I don't agree. 2 ways of seeing things. The problem with your way, is that when it will time to analyse Bergevin, you will come out full force and say how this prospect and that prospect is helping the team. But if most don't....will you come and say that "drafting is an inexact science"? Will you put it on Timmins? Or will you come out and say how it's Bergevin's fault for those kids to not pan out? 'Cause if I'm consequent, be consequent too. If it's because of Bergevin if we're seeing a great McCarron, I guess it's because of Bergevin if others won't pan out....

OneSharpMarble

Oct 30, 2007
Calgary
Prepare yourself. You are often wrong, but the coming years will be hard for you. I aleready know how you will try to escape your foolishness. It will be by giving all the credit to the players and none to MB, MT and SL. That's the way you work. But me I am telling it to you now. This team is in a very good position and a good part of the credit goes to the man in charge, Marc Bergevin. He will be praised for the patience and foresight he showed this year. Many will apologize, but you won't. It's so easy to bash blindly on an anonymous forum.

Translation - "Just wait, just you wait! One day I...I..I swear Bergevin is gonna d d ddo some amazing things and everything will be great and the habs will win cups and score a million goals and boy oh boy you're gonna look foolish. I tell you this management might have done nothing for their first 4 years but in like 4 more years things sure will change."

The team is in an awful position with a mediocre farm, terrible management team and stars who are aging/being used improperly. If Bergevin doesn't go against his mantra of "building through the farm" and acquire some talent through trades/signings expect this core to be broken up and not sniff a cup for 6 years. Our farm is not coming to the rescue for a long time.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad