Confirmed with Link: Canadiens sign Phil Varone to a one-year, two-way contract ($700,000 NHL and $450,000 AHL)

Grand Admiral Thrawn

May 24, 2012
Montreal
Good for Laval they will ice a decent team this year, the young guys might see some playoff action. When was the last time they made the playoffs? 1995? lol
I believe they made the playoffs for roughly 6.2 minutes in 2016. I could be wrong though, I did blink a few times in 2016.

Steve Shutt

Don't Poke the Bear
May 31, 2007
If you mean the Habs AHL franchise, 2016-2017. They last won in 2006-2007.

Last time Laval the city had a relevant hockey team in the PO was 1998.

The 2016-17 St. John's Ice Caps made the playoffs

Jul 6, 2016
Why do people call this a AHL move? The guy played 47 games last year and did 7 points. It's a diamond in the rough move. Like Froese, D'Agostino and company he'll play a bunch of games in the NHL.

.... IF needs be... We have Thompson, Weal, still have Peca and Weise to play bottom line. Even McCarron.

montreal

Go Habs Go
Mar 21, 2002
www.youtube.com
Finally getting some good offensive guys for Laval! Nice AHL pick up

it's not like they haven't had them in the past, Terry was the best player in the AHL at one point when he was here, Hudon, etc... just that last year we called up the only goal scorers and left the team with nothing. Hopefully we don't have a repeat of that.

so how many centers we have for Laval ?

Evans, Varone, Suzuki, Vejdemo, McCarron ?

I think Vejdemo is like DLR, a guy that can play either wing or center but is more of a winger.

Maybe they move McCarron to RW.

Most likely Poehling and Teasdale too..

Teasdale is a LW.

Title is misleading - it's an NHL contract - no reason to call Varone an AHLer - he played 47 NHL games last year.

he's an AHLer and a very good one, flyers fans I know said he was terrible in the NHL. So unless you are talking another Froese or Chaput where they stick somehow but still stink, otherwise he should be in the AHL.

Why do people call this a AHL move? The guy played 47 games last year and did 7 points. It's a diamond in the rough move. Like Froese, D'Agostino and company he'll play a bunch of games in the NHL.

hopefully not, last year we didn't have anyone to call up, this year we could have several guys like Suzuki, Poehling, McCarron, Evans to call up so hopefully they help Laval make the playoffs but not calling up their vets.

Reactions: habergeon

Jul 6, 2016
Maybe Laval will have a more exciting team to watch than Montreal ?

rickthegoon

Feb 25, 2012
Only thing that this AHL Pick up could be indicative of, is that there is no plan to replace Shaw and Deslauriers with NHL caliber players, and by process of elimination Habs expect/hope that Suzuki /Poeling make the roster.

MarkovsKnee

Global Moderator
Nov 21, 2007
Toronto
Title is misleading - it's an NHL contract - no reason to call Varone an AHLer - he played 47 NHL games last year.

It's a 2 way contract though, so that generally means someone to provide veteran depth in the AHL, and a bit of NHL depth once injuries hit. It's a good move for Laval.

SnapVirus

Jul 16, 2010
Mtl., QC.
Good move for Laval and on case we have injuries and our young guns arent ready.

We could have a really good ahl team this year, even if our nhl team’ll suck ass.

Hostile Offer

Artist formerly known as Eagle Peninsula
Jun 17, 2017
Finland

Will be one of the first injury call ups for sure.

Harry Kakalovich

Sep 26, 2002
Montreal
he's an AHLer and a very good one, flyers fans I know said he was terrible in the NHL. So unless you are talking another Froese or Chaput where they stick somehow but still stink, otherwise he should be in the AHL.

It's a 2 way contract though, so that generally means someone to provide veteran depth in the AHL, and a bit of NHL depth once injuries hit. It's a good move for Laval.

I agree with all of this but still think it's stupid to qualify someone as an "AHLer" on a signing thread title for an NHL contract. My immediate thought was that it was an AHL contract because of the title.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad