hnic-toronto-at-montreal.jpg

Game Day: Leafs vs. Canadiens
Lance HornbyMore from Lance Hornby
Game Day: Leafs vs. Canadiens

7 p.m., Scotiabank Arena
TV: Sportsnet/HNIC RADIO: FAN 590
THE BIG MATCH-UP
RW Mitch Marner vs,. RW Brendan Gallagher

Stuck in a season-worst three game points drought, Marner needs a big game against a player of similar stature who brings a physical edge to his game with the ability to counter Marner’s creativity. Gallagher’s first career hat trick on Thursday against Philadelphia sets himself up for a big night on the national stage.
KEYS TO THE GAME
1. DOWN TO BUSINESS

Two weeks ago when these rivals clashed, the hype was as much about the atmosphere in Montreal as the playoff implications of the game. In staid old Toronto, the spectators will be more window dressing as the Leafs must settle into a methodical game, avoid the kind of defensive mistakes that burned them against the Caps and try and win this one in regulation after a John Tavares goal rescued them last time.
2. HIT PARADE
Thursday’s loss to the Caps was another one off the charts where hits on the Leafs were concerned, 35-17 in Washington’s favour. The Blues also went right after Toronto at the end of its road trip. And when the Habs and Leafs last met, they were tallied at 49-16 for the home team, despite the Leafs win.
3. GALLAGHER GETS HIS DUE
The Leafs have been taking notes on No. 11, Montreal’s goal leader.
“It’s his ability to get pucks back, win pucks and make plays in traffic,” head coach Mike Babcock said of Gallagher. “He’s good along the wall and way heavier than he appears. He seems to be able to cut guys’ arms off, own lanes and be on the right side of the play.”
4. SWEATING THE SMALL STUFF
If the Habs have reason to be concerned, it’s their league-worst power play having to be on the lookout for the rabbits on Toronto’s penalty kill and how they’ll manage against the Leafs’ hot centres, who are second to the Flyers in league faceoff winning percentage.
5. PRICE CHECK
Both games this season went to overtime and nine meetings of the old combatants since 2014-15 have been decided by a goal. The last three yers have seen some dandy duels between Frederik Andersen and Carey Price in net.
MAPLE LEAFS GAME DAY LINES
LW C RW
Zach Hyman John Tavares Mitch Marner
Andreas Johnsson Auston Matthews Kasperi Kapanen
Patrick Marleau William Nylander Connor Brown
Par Lindholm Frederick Gauthier Tyler Ennis
DEFENCE PAIRINGS
Morgan Rielly Ron Hainsey
Jake Muzzin Travis Dermott
Jake Gardiner Nikita Zaitsev
GOALIES
Frederik Andersen
Garret Sparks
SICK BAY
C Nazem Kadri (concussion)
CANADIENS GAME DAY LINES
Jonathan Drouin Phillip Danault Brendan Gallagher
Tomas Tatar Max Domi Andrew Shaw
Paul Byron Jesperi Kotkaniemi Joel Armia
Arturri Lehkonen Nate Thompson Charles Hudon
DEFENCE PAIRINGS
Victor Mete Shea Weber
Mike Reilly Jeff Petry
Brett Kulak Jordie Benn
GOALIES
Carey Price
Antti Niemi
SICK BAY
None
SPECIAL TEAMS
POWER PLAY
Toronto 20.9% (14th)
Montreal 12.7% (31st)
PENALTY KILLING
Toronto 81.2% (11th)
Montreal 79.9% (19th)

hkn-leafs-canadiens-20190209.jpg

Reactions: HamiltonNHL

Burnie97

Jun 26, 2015
Canada
Huge game... which is probably an understatement.

Leafs have to get these points, and stop pissing around. Regulation win.

Playoffs aren't too far away... time to go on a bit of a tear, and show you can play with the big boys.

Nineteen67

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Dec 12, 2017
Show of hands.....Who would have thought the Leafs would be in a battle for a playoff spot the last week of February? Against Montreal, no less.

Pi

Nov 16, 2010
Toronto
It would be nice if the Leafs can score a goal before the third period starts.

It would be even nicer if we win.

Joey Hoser

Jan 8, 2008
Guelph
Montreal I never would have expected but the Leafs are around where I thought they would be.

I expected the Leafs to fight for top spot in the division. They're about that good too, but Tampa is just in absolute God-Mode. They've still only lost 11 games FFS.

AppsSyl

May 28, 2015
It would be nice, especially when we need a win, if our coach could play our star players the minutes every other team in the league does.

Reactions: supermann_98

ACC1224

Super Elite, Passing ALL Tests since 2002
Aug 19, 2002
I expected the Leafs to fight for top spot in the division. They're about that good too, but Tampa is just in absolute God-Mode. They've still only lost 11 games FFS.
Yep, I expected the top 3 in the division to be much closer

Nineteen67

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Dec 12, 2017
MTL win in regulation puts us one point agead with one game in hand LoL

I wonder if it has dawned on the players that when they go to bed tonight, they could be closer to missing the playoffs than they are to gaining home ice advantage.

Nineteen67

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Dec 12, 2017
Why didnt they play the stadium series game last week when the Leafs were in Pheonix?
I sort of like to watch those outdoor games. Hopefully it'll hurt the Pens tonight.

PromisedLand

I need more FOOD
Dec 3, 2016
Hogwarts
Montreal I never would have expected but the Leafs are around where I thought they would be.

so after the acquisition of tavares you expected leafs to have worst point pace (with 22 games to go) than last season?

Last season Leafs finished with 105 pts in 82 games

This season:
Leafs have played 60 games and have 76 pts

to at least match last season in pts in the remaining 22 games Leafs will need 29 pts and have to go:

14W 1OTL in 22 games (.64 pace) and they only match last season

or

worst case scenario
7W 15OTL

so i ask you again; with the acquisition of tavares (and then later muzzin) you expect to finish the season worst than last season?

Reactions: dsred
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad