GDT: Canadiens @ Capitals - 11/22/13 7 PM

PuckBuddy

Green for Selke
Jul 14, 2009
Seattle, WA
Brooks just said the Oates game plan is to tire out the opposition.

i-see-what-you-did-there-spiderman-jsTQbp.jpg

CapitalsCupReality

It’s Go Time!!
Feb 27, 2002
Killed me seeing 10-21-20 out there late, but I thought they were out there to get the puck deep and get a whistle but never could make it happen. Can't spot a defensive wizard team a 3-0 goal lead. Maybe these guys will learn to show up in the 1st at some point. Poorly prepared, not coached up properly.

NobodyBeatsTheWiz

Happy now?
Jun 26, 2004
The Burbs
So, I've been trying to figure this out for the past few weeks:

What are Oates' strengths as a coach?

Seems to me, as Langway said, Forsythe's PP is what's kept this team afloat.

troyerlaw

Life is party again
Dec 13, 2010
Los Angeles
- Blade pattern optimization
- Removing BBQ sauce from face before interviews

- Not trying to purchase Haagen Dazs at mall at 10am
- Not being a FF
- Putting Ovie on RW and helping him get back on track
- Being poised and composed on bench, and seeming like he belongs there
- Weirdly, seeming more passionate and engaged behind the bench than Hunter, who was shockingly contained as a coach, compared to his playing style
- Making a very very odd, scary face when he gets really enraged
- Not having any Stanley Cup rings on his hands, which might make the boys feel bad

troyerlaw

Life is party again
Dec 13, 2010
Los Angeles
I think the Laich dropoff is definitely related to injuries, but is also a lack of confidence. This stuff is cyclical. If you go back through our last couple years on these boards, you can certainly find extended periods where we were down on Ovie or Nicky or Ward or Ice Cheetah, or any of them really. I think Laich has lost a step AND has no confidence at all right now. That aside, we definitely overpaid for him. Everyone said that as soon as the damn contract was signed. Most of us anyway.

Do we really play again tomorrow? That's good. I can get the Habs game out of mind faster.

Capitlols

Historic Chokers
Feb 9, 2010
So, I've been trying to figure this out for the past few weeks:

What are Oates' strengths as a coach?

Seems to me, as Langway said, Forsythe's PP is what's kept this team afloat.

I think being a HOFer gives him credibility in the locker room, but he's just what this team didn't need, an inexperienced coach.

trick9

Jun 2, 2013
GMGM's final effort to save his job: try to bring back Wayne Gretzky to play with Ovechkin. :laugh:

fsnoles98

Mar 16, 2009
This team clearly has some issues. Goaltending is inconsistent, defense has issues and we have no #2 line. Chaos as usual for a Cap fan. Just glad GMGM still has a job as our leader of putting a quality team on ice night in and night out. Stellar job.:handclap:

swimmer77

More PIM's than Points
Jun 22, 2010
in water
- I can't pin this loss on Neuvy as early saves would have helped but one was a deflection and Briere got the lucky bounce. And Neuvy made some stellar saves. Budaj let in a softie too.

- I can't pin it on the refs although the reffing was somewhat questionable. Only penalty I had a strong opinion about was Erat's. You (Ovi) can't knock over a smurf without consequences. And you (Laich) can't wrap a free hand around the opponent so blatantly even though the guy isn't a smurf.

- So why the loss? More than the above - surprise - the lack of finish and struggles at ES. They blew how many breakaways and Ovechkin had two other glorious chances before he scored the first one. MJ had a few good opportunities too.

- Green's PP time minimized at some 20 some seconds. Strange. Carlson had over 2 minutes and Nate had 40 some seconds.

- Green looked decent defensively and I would agree with others that he looked more physically involved although admittedly that's a little scary whether he is the hittee or hitter. And was good for one of those OMG Green moments that fortunately didn't lead to chaos in the D end - surprisingly.

- I'm starting to really feel sorry for Ovechkin.

- Caps lose to Halak's sidekick Slovakian friend.

- Nice to see / hear all the hype about Oates choosing the correct stick for Laich but can't say I noticed a big difference in the result.

- Brouwer, Erat and Laich hit the score sheet big time with a hat trick - in the penalty box. LOL

- Orlov down to Hershey again. LOL

- The well is drying up with the Wardo, Chimera, Grabo line. Hopefully Grabo playing against his former team tonight revives them.

- The total of blocked shots plus SOG were fairly even. But the Caps doubled the Habs in the "missed shots" category.

- I have no idea what to expect in tonight's game other than Oates will still be the coach, McPhee will still be GM, Ovi may score, Holtby will start.

- The Caps are still firmly entrenched in a playoff spot and poised for an early round exit.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad