Proposal: Canadiens - Blues proposal

Status
Not open for further replies.
Aug 25, 2009
éal
To the Canadiens:
Jake Allen (one more year at 4,35M$)
Vince Dunn (RFA)
2020 STL 5th round pick (150th overall ish)

To the Blues:
Victor Mete (RFA)
Charlie Lindgren (one more year at 700k)
2020 STL 2nd round pick (58th overall)
202 MTL 3rd round pick (70th overall)

This free up salary for the Blues to re-sign their captain. Victor Mete can probably be re-signed under 1,5 M$, while Vince Dunn is likely to ask north of 4 M$ even on a bridge contract. Substract Jake Allen enormous salary, and the Blues save almost 5M$ right there.

I like Victor Mete, but it doesnt seem like he will be able to play top-4 one day after all. He's still a good bottom pairing dman to have around. Vince Dunn fill a need on the left side for the Canadiens. They can have Dunn - Weber as a 1st pairing, Romanov - Petry on the 2nd, and Chiarot - Juulsen on the 3rd. That's solid.

Flyer lurker

Feb 16, 2019
Since it looks like NHL will be held in June, the 2020 picks trade wont happen. But say for argument sake change all picks into 2021.
If STL keeps Alex P. does this trade and moves Bozak it can be reasonable close to cap and its not the worst Dunn offer out there. I think STL can do better but not that much.
If STL is not signing Alex P. then STL slams phone quickly.

Aug 25, 2009
éal
Montreal wants how much of their salary cap tied up in goalies?
well looking the past two seasons it seem like the answer is they didnt spend enough on goalie, cheap fixture like Niemi and Kinkaid cost the team games and maybe a playoff appearence

allen is a pretty decent backup, with only 1 year left on his contract so it's not a big deal for MTL

Beauterham

Aug 19, 2018
This free up salary for the Blues to re-sign their captain. Victor Mete can probably be re-signed under 1,5 M$, while Vince Dunn is likely to ask north of 4 M$ even on a bridge contract. Substract Jake Allen enormous salary, and the Blues save almost 5M$ right there.

We've seen numerous iterations of this trade variant the last couple of weeks. You guys really want to trade Lindgren and Mete to us. ;)

Dunn's agent can ask for all that he wants, but that doesn't mean he's going to get it? ;)
No, but in all seriously, I really like Dunn and his upside, but I fail to see him getting a 4 million bridge contract. I think the Blues will try to give him the Sanford/Blais/Barbashev-special; a 2 year bridge deal worth 1.5 million a year. His agent will probably try to shoot higher, eventually with both parties ending up in the middle at 2-2,5 million. Dunn's TOI and usage isn't high enough yet to warrant a higher AAV, unless the Blues sign him to a much longer deal, which I don't see happening.

Qwijibo

Dec 1, 2014
Trading away a 21 year old top 4D (which is a an area of need, not of surplus) and a bunch of picks for an overpaid 30 yr old backup goalie is a move that a team that’s close to the cup makes. Montreal is resetting, trading youth for vets isn’t part of the strategy yet

Em etah Eh

Maroon PP
Jul 17, 2007
Why is it always Jake Allen going back to the Habs as the cap dump? There are other teams that should have more need for a goaltender than them. If anybody wants to lessen the price of Dunn by taking on a contract, then make it Steen’s.

Dr Quincy

Jun 19, 2005
Better then the original offer. Allen is a strict upgrade on Lindgren and Mete is a #4 at best.

Hi, there is this thing called the salary cap. It effects the value of a player since a player is also attached to the contract he has.

IW8simF.gif

Reactions: Mrfenn92

Scintillating10

Jun 15, 2012
Nova Scotia
To the Canadiens:
Jake Allen (one more year at 4,35M$)
Vince Dunn (RFA)
2020 STL 5th round pick (150th overall ish)

To the Blues:
Victor Mete (RFA)
Charlie Lindgren (one more year at 700k)
2020 STL 2nd round pick (58th overall)
202 MTL 3rd round pick (70th overall)

I like Victor Mete, but it doesnt seem like he will be able to play top-4 one day after all. He's still a good bottom pairing dman to have around. Vince Dunn fill a need on the left side for the Canadiens. They can have Dunn - Weber as a 1st pairing, Romanov - Petry on the 2nd, and Chiarot - Juulsen on the 3rd. That's solid.
Too much salary going one way. For 4.1 of Mason, Habs got Armia, a 4th and a 7th round pick. Allen at 4.35 is a capdump. He is backup quality at this point in his career. Mete for Dunn Habs throw in a 4th round pick I would do though.

Video Coach

Sep 16, 2005
Dunn's agent can ask for all that he wants, but that doesn't mean he's going to get it? ;)
No, but in all seriously, I really like Dunn and his upside, but I fail to see him getting a 4 million bridge contract. I think the Blues will try to give him the Sanford/Blais/Barbashev-special; a 2 year bridge deal worth 1.5 million a year. His agent will probably try to shoot higher, eventually with both parties ending up in the middle at 2-2,5 million. Dunn's TOI and usage isn't high enough yet to warrant a higher AAV, unless the Blues sign him to a much longer deal, which I don't see happening.

I think Brandon Carlo is a good comparable here. I see 2yrs at $2-3M per.

Trading away a 21 year old top 4D (which is a an area of need, not of surplus) and a bunch of picks for an overpaid 30 yr old backup goalie is a move that a team that’s close to the cup makes. Montreal is resetting, trading youth for vets isn’t part of the strategy yet

The idea for Montreal is to leverage cap space to make roster upgrades. Dunn in for Mete is a clear upgrade for the Habs. Mete has been good in spurts and has played almost exclusively in the top 4 5 on 5 but that's more been out of need. I don't see Mete as being a necessary part of this deal, it could easily be a different roster player. But the point is Montreal wouldn't view this as trading a young top 4 man for a 30 year old backup, they would view it as gaining a young top 4 d man by leveraging cap space.

Allen is overpaid for the role he plays, which makes him a likely candidate to be traded with St Louis needing space. Doesn't make him a cap dump, but clearly his salary doesn't meet his role anymore. Habs have the space to take him on for 1 year.

Taking salary out of the question, what is Allen worth on the open market in a trade? Very good backup capable of playing 30-40 games, he's probably worth something like a 2nd or 3rd. Taking cap hit into account he's worth less, though how much less is not clear.

The other thing you have to consider is what teams can take Allen on right now? There are a number of good to great goalies available on the open market this year so placing a backup at this salary may be difficult, that could affect the return as well.

Reactions: Baksfamous112

Llamamoto

Nice Bison. Kind Bison. Yep.
Sep 5, 2018
Based on you saying he has “little to no value” I’m going to say that assessing goaltending is not your thing.

I'm going to say that assessing value isn't yours.

Allen's a really good backup, you can call him a 1b/2a kind of goalie, maybe a bit on the lower end of that.
The issue is his cap hit. He's nowhere near worth that money.

ChuckLefley

Jan 5, 2016
I'm going to say that assessing value isn't yours.

Allen's a really good backup, you can call him a 1b/2a kind of goalie, maybe a bit on the lower end of that.
The issue is his cap hit. He's nowhere near worth that money.
So you claim he has little or no value, that change it to say it’s about his cap hit, after saying he is a really good backup 1b/2a.

be an adult, admit you were wrong and move on instead of moving goalposts.

Aug 25, 2009
éal
So you claim he has little or no value, that change it to say it’s about his cap hit, after saying he is a really good backup 1b/2a.

be an adult, admit you were wrong and move on instead of moving goalposts.
Good backup doesn’t have lot of value. Especially not at this salary. Nothing outlandish with this claim.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad