Post-Game Talk: Canadiens 6 Bruins 4

Gee Wally

Old, Grumpy Moderator
Sponsor
Feb 27, 2002
HF retirement home
PC should have traded him instead of Boychuk.

It's not only his antics ... he is steadily declining since 2011. And he is not worth 4,5M.

Oh, and he seems kind of immature with his stupid jokes all the time. Remember when he talked to Söderberg about how he should play like Bergy and Söderberg just reacted like "Don't get on my **** nerves, you moron."

It was also Recchi that said to him on the bench when he was chirping - 'sit down and shut the **** up'.

13Hockey

Go Bruins
Jul 20, 2006
Boston

It's not only his antics ... he is steadily declining since 2011. And he is not worth 4,5M.

Oh, and he seems kind of immature with his stupid jokes all the time. Remember when he talked to Söderberg about how he should play like Bergy and Söderberg just reacted like "Don't get on my **** nerves, you moron."

his numbers are actually going up

2012 he was on pace for 30 goals per 82

2013 he was on pace for 33 goals per 82

last year got 25 in 82

last year he had a slight decline but not by much lets give him at least 25 games this year and see where his numbers are at before we freak out

He does need a good playoff showing this year though..his last 3 regular seasons he has produced and been worth 4.5 though

Aeroforce

Apr 28, 2012
Houston, TX
Here's something to mull over: In 2013-14 the Bruins racked up 117 points, more than 29 other NHL teams and 17 points ahead of the Habs, Yet the Habs won the season series and ousted the Bruins from the playoffs despite not having home ice advantage. Was it because of superior strategy and tactics? If so, why didn't the other teams in the East use the same successful formula against the Bruins? It was an open book. All they to do was study the video. What was so special about the Habs that the other East teams lacked? For example, the Rangers didn't find the Habs particularly difficult to beat in the playoffs. On Monday TB demolished the Habs 7-1. Yet last night the Habs once again took the measure of the Bruins by playing the same way they always have against them. Was it because the Bruins had played the night before and the Habs hadn't? The Habs started the season with 4 games on the road, including back-to-back games (both of which they won). I can't account for the anomalies. Ideas, anyone?

Excellent points, and you can also add to your list of anomalies the Habs ranked 26th in Corsi Close while the B's were 4th.

I am no expert, but all I can come up with is sports psychology. The Habs beat us at the so-called 'Inner Game' every time (the mental game).

I find both players and coaches at fault. I remember Darryl Sutter's response when asked what he'd be doing for the two weeks he had off during the Olympics; to which he replied something along the lines of 'figuring out how we're going to beat the Blackhawks.'

On the contrary, even after the playoff loss last year, I recall seeing our upper brass accepting the excuses of 'we had a great season, but a bad week,' as well as the injuries. Did they forget our monster winning streak was ended by (you guessed it) the Habs?

I recall Dale Weiss even pulling for the Bruins to keep their streak alive until they played them, so they could break it - which they did.

So while there are match-problems, I think the biggest problem is between the ears of our coaches and players. I hate locker room cliches, but when players say 'Now it's about which team wants it more.' Well to their credit, every time the two teams meet, that is them.

I mean we can compare the numbers of Rask and Price, but I remember when the Habs traded Budaj someone on the main board posted his stats against Boston and they were Vezina-worthy. So I'm convinced this losing transcends on-ice talent and match-ups.

NightmanCometh

Feb 11, 2014
Minnesota
Excellent points, and you can also add to your list of anomalies the Habs ranked 26th in Corsi Close while the B's were 4th.

I am no expert, but all I can come up with is sports psychology. The Habs beat us at the so-called 'Inner Game' every time (the mental game).

I find both players and coaches at fault. I remember Darryl Sutter's response when asked what he'd be doing for the two weeks he had off during the Olympics; to which he replied something along the lines of 'figuring out how we're going to beat the Blackhawks.'

On the contrary, even after the playoff loss last year, I recall seeing our upper brass accepting the excuses of 'we had a great season, but a bad week,' as well as the injuries. Did they forget our monster winning streak was ended by (you guessed it) the Habs?

I recall Dale Weiss even pulling for the Bruins to keep their streak alive until they played them, so they could break it - which they did.

So while there are match-problems, I think the biggest problem is between the ears of our coaches and players. I hate locker room cliches, but when players say 'Now it's about which team wants it more.' Well to their credit, every time the two teams meet, that is them.

I mean we can compare the numbers of Rask and Price, but I remember when the Habs traded Budaj someone on the main board posted his stats against Boston and they were Vezina-worthy. So I'm convinced this losing transcends on-ice talent and match-ups.

It's all about the confidence... I made a long post about it a few pages back. It's pretty evident in the game if you pay close attention.

HabsAddict

Feb 27, 2002
Visit site
Completely agree.

And if Tampa kicked Montreals ass, how in the hell are we going to be able to beat Tampa Bay?? We have to be able to beat them too...

That was an anomaly. Tampa was motivated all out to win and save face from last years 4 straight and the Hab's had an off night. Plus they wanted to run up the score to "prove" something.

Any given game can be an anomaly.......but I doubt the Bruins would have any problem handing Tampa their butts in a series.

TMac21

Save us Sweeney
May 21, 2003
Here is a question for debate, put the Bruins roster in Habs jerseys and the Habs roster in Bruins jerseys, who wins? ;)

chizzler

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jan 11, 2006
I think those soft goals were killers. They were taking it to the Habs for a period and a half. The second half of the second, they started to fatigue. They've had a rough schedule so far. Figures all games at Montreal are the second of a back to back.

Kaoz*

Fantastic idea who needs wingers anyway. Seriously, this idea that Boston can be awesome with just centers, defense, and a goalie needs to go.

Immature hockey players, imagine that.

Mynameismark*

Habs lost to the Bolts for the same reason some of you guys are trying to explain away this loss. No practice time and road trip for the Habs. Habs easily swept the Bolts..that win isnt happening again for them.

Also, Habs are just better than Boston. After so many games, if the B's cant figure it out, it's probably because you gotta give the other team credit. Better team.

Johnmbs1962

Jun 25, 2014
Habs lost to the Bolts for the same reason some of you guys are trying to explain away this loss. No practice time and road trip for the Habs. Habs easily swept the Bolts..that win isnt happening again for them.

Also, Habs are just better than Boston. After so many games, if the B's cant figure it out, it's probably because you gotta give the other team credit. Better team.

They play better in the games against us.
It doesn't make them a better team.....

Mynameismark*

They play better in the games against us.
It doesn't make them a better team.....

On a single game scale you could be correct. Can always be an anomaly.

But when you factor in many games, including a series, you gotta just tell yourself that if you were superior, you'd eventually rise to the top and find a way to come out victorious. When you both go in to games and continually lose, on a fair platform, you aren't proving yourself to be better.

Getting more points in the regular season also does not necessarily make you a better team. What matters is the post season, and then you can also factor in games head to head during the regular season.

Teufelsdreck

Sep 17, 2005
(
6 games in 9 days?
You mean they had it harder than the Habs, who played 4 consecutive games on the road (and, as a previous poster pointed out, with little opportunity to practice) before finally getting a home game? Sure, the Bruins didn't have it easy, but it was only their 6th game. Remember that they're the reigning President's trophy winner and they won a lot of tough games last season against better teams than the Habs.

DTM

Jun 24, 2014
As an outsider: Boston has a better core than the Habs. Boychuk going was puzzling.. wasn't he one of Julien's favorites?

Watched last game and Marchand was awful. No idea if that's his usual self but he was just screwing around on the ice, not getting anything done beside being a useless *****, while Gallagher, on the other hand, shrugged it off and kept trucking. Odd how one can go from being one of the best contract in the league to this.

Oh and Soderberg is one of my favorite hidden gem, if we can still say that, in the league. Have yet to see a bad game from him.. I see shades of Eric Staal :naughty:

PatriceBergeronFan

Jul 15, 2011
USA
(
You mean they had it harder than the Habs, who played 4 consecutive games on the road (and, as a previous poster pointed out, with little opportunity to practice) before finally getting a home game? Sure, the Bruins didn't have it easy, but it was only their 6th game. Remember that they're the reigning President's trophy winner and they won a lot of tough games last season against better teams than the Habs.

Habs have played 6 in 9 eh?

Sam the Lion

**** the Habs
Aug 7, 2005
Texas USA
Solid question.
I think being the only game in town (MTL) is a huge factor.
B's are currently the #3 sports franchise in Boston.

Too bad you didn't ask this question 6 months ago, because I'm trying to picture Shawn Thornton in a Habs jersey. I honestly think his body's antibodies would attempt to reject the jersey like an ebola-esque virulent pathogen.

HumBucker

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Sep 7, 2005
Toronto
With this roster? This roster is so overrated. It has three very good centers, one very good dman and then very average players. Oh sorry and a very good goalie. We have really no pure goal scorers, we are one of if not the slowest team in the league and we have below average defensemen.

No. Very good players, some of whom are currently playing like very average players, at best.

Chacal667

Jul 14, 2012
Montreal
Solid question.
I think being the only game in town (MTL) is a huge factor.
B's are currently the #3 sports franchise in Boston.

Too bad you didn't ask this question 6 months ago, because I'm trying to picture Shawn Thornton in a Habs jersey. I honestly think his body's antibodies would attempt to reject the jersey like an ebola-esque virulent pathogen.

Shawn Thornton already played for the habs

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad