Canadians banned from watching Jays online with mlb package

Sep 19, 2008
IMPORTANT BLACKOUT UPDATE: We know that in the past you've streamed live Toronto Blue Jays games from within Canada in MLB.TV. Starting with the 2020 regular season, live Toronto Blue jays games will be blacked out on MLB.TV within Canada. Live Blue Jays games will now be available for streaming on Sportsnet NOW. To find out more about Sportsnet NOW and what it offers, click here.

Tecumseh

Scorched Earth
Oct 20, 2012
Southbridge, MA
Blackout rules are so archaic. You can’t even watch games of your local team unless you have the right cable/satellite provider. I don’t live in the Dodgers TV market anymore but I didn’t get to watch the Dodgers for the last 5 years of Vin Scully’s broadcasting career because I didn’t have Time Warner (a provider that didn’t even service the Orange County area)

Vamos Rafa

Jan 11, 2010
Armenia, California
Blackout rules are so archaic. You can’t even watch games of your local team unless you have the right cable/satellite provider. I don’t live in the Dodgers TV market anymore but I didn’t get to watch the Dodgers for the last 5 years of Vin Scully’s broadcasting career because I didn’t have Time Warner (a provider that didn’t even service the Orange County area)

Yeah it did. I lived in Garden Grove in 2014 and I had Time Warner.

ChuckNorris4Cup

May 31, 2018
I could see the MLB getting involved here in some way and going after Rogers, because all this does now is hurt the MLB by not getting as many subscribers and lose money, I don't think the MLB will take to kindly to this.

tony d

Jun 23, 2007
Behind A Tree
Blackout rules are absolutely stupid. I have the super sports package so it's not a big deal to me but I can see how it being an issue to others. Something that def has to change going forward.

Five Alarm Fire

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jun 17, 2009
TSN Go + Sportsnet Now ends up being cheaper than NHL Gamecenter, NBA League Pass, MLB.tv, DAZN combined... But I still shudder giving money to Rogers/Bell.

I end up splitting NHL Gamecenter (big benefit of not being a Leafs fan), borrowing my parents Bell account, and paying for DAZN during the NFL season. Unfortunately, means that getting my NBA games isn't easy, but it is what it is. Looks like MLB will also be difficult, used to bank on the mid-season discount.

Last edited:

MMC

Global Moderator
May 11, 2014
Orange County, CA
I might have been overly general when I said the Orange County area. I know that I couldn’t get Time Warner at that time when I lived in South County.
I lived in Orange (city, not county) for my whole life and had TW/Spectrum, but last year I moved to North Tustin, and they don't service my current area, I'm not a Dodger fan so I don't care about it for that reason, but it seems like only Cox services my area which I can't stand. All of my broadcasts are delayed by a minute as if I were using a streaming service, and the quality is crappy for the first minute after turning on the TV/changing a channel.

Beville

#ForTheBoys
Mar 4, 2011
Engerlanddd!
I always find this crazy with American TV; all these providers and the like.

In the UK; nice and simple, BBC, ITV, Sky Sports and BT Sports. National coverage, all the pay per view (UFC, Boxing etc) and no blackouts whatsoever.

Regional TV is usually just the news, and the odd TV show - but at the same time it’ll be the same programme just different content.

SupremeNachos

Dec 6, 2011
Minnesota
I always find this crazy with American TV; all these providers and the like.

In the UK; nice and simple, BBC, ITV, Sky Sports and BT Sports. National coverage, all the pay per view (UFC, Boxing etc) and no blackouts whatsoever.

Regional TV is usually just the news, and the odd TV show - but at the same time it’ll be the same programme just different content.
America is the land of monopolies without a dictatorship.

Bringer of Jollity

Oct 20, 2011
Fontana, CA
Blackout rules in general need to be scraped. Why pay a premium for a premium package that won't let you watch the teams you want to watch.
A-freaking-men. Have to pay $45+ a month just to get 2 sports channels for my local teams while paying $150 a year for a league subscription. Probably just going to opt for the radio going forward.

GIN ANTONIC

Aug 19, 2007
Toronto, ON
Rogers + Sportsnet is garbage. It is mind boggling that you can pay for mlb.tv and not get to watch a certain team.

TSN is dumb too. Try to watch a west coast game and they say it's blacked out in my region. Like what the actual f***?

Vancouver Canucks

Feb 8, 2015
Rogers + Sportsnet is garbage. It is mind boggling that you can pay for mlb.tv and not get to watch a certain team.

TSN is dumb too. Try to watch a west coast game and they say it's blacked out in my region. Like what the actual f***?

Canadian TV officials are dumb for making a mess like that.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad