Canadian young guns

Status
Not open for further replies.

time

Feb 26, 2005
We all know that the '06 Olympic team will a coming out party for many good young Canucks (Thornton, Nash, etc..), but what a pleasant dilemma will Gretzky and Co. be facing come December if several players keep up their scoring pace.

Sure, it's very early, but Jason Spezza must now be on their radar and Dany Heatly has improved on his longshot status. Crosby is getting a point a game too. Eric Stall already has five goals!

A new generation is clearly emerging across the league (from all countries).

Whether any of those players makes the final cut is debatable, but the job of the national team management just got harder.

therealdeal

Apr 22, 2005
Right not it doesn't look like many of Canada's top guns will be making it, but its pretty early.

I think if Savard keeps up this pace at all he should make the team.

time

Feb 26, 2005
Yah, I was thinking about Savard as well, except he's never been 2-way and has a habit of taking bad penalties. Still, this could get interesting in a couple of months.

espo*

A lot of those young guys won't make it but the odd fella can play himself on with a tremendous year like Iginla in 2002.However,these guys will be more then ready come Vancouver in 2010.Tons of great young talent coming up for Canada for 2010 and that's when we'll see most of them.That should be a great team if they are mentally ready for the pressure.They've gotta play the annual world's to get them ready.

Tricolore#20

PK PK PK
Jul 24, 2003
Toronto
Visit site
helicecopter said:
So guys, Spezza, Savard, Staal, Crosby.. who do you think have more chances to make the Olympic roster?
How many chances for Crosby in particular?

(btw, i think, and thought already, Heatley will be there)

It certainly is an interesting question. The 2002 team didn't nearly have as much competition, as it seemed like in general, internationally proven players won spots on the team. This time, because there are so many young players, many of which who have not played for Canada at the senior level, the competition will be intense.

I think that it's hard to tell at this point who will be on the team. If those players listed can maintain their point totals, and show some semblance of a two way game, they could have a shot. However, I think Gretzky and company will give preference to players who were invited to the camp in mid August. These players are familiar with the competition, and know what to expect in Turin. The players who weren't invited would have to show something unbelievable before December to make the team.

If I were betting, I would wager that Spezza would make the team. Despite not being at the summer camp, he plays on a high profile team in Ottawa, has a strong two way game (after being dogged about it by Jacques Martin), and has all the offensive ability in the world. If Heatley is to make the team, it would be tough to not include Spezza.

As for Heatley, there was talk at the camp that because Canada is so deep, he would be the odd man out (based on their play at the minicamp... how the media could judge a guy from that is another question). However, this was before he was traded to Ottawa. Because the Sens are a high profile team, and Heatley definitely has the ability, I would also wager Heatley makes the team.

I really wonder if players like St. Louis, Marleau and Doan will make the team. While they are certainly great players, and deserve to play in the Olympics for being the best in the world, Canada has so much depth. I really have a tough time in trying to formulate lineups, because of our quality.

12# Peter Bondra

Apr 15, 2004
Tricolore#20 said:
I really wonder if players like St. Louis, Marleau and Doan will make the team. While they are certainly great players, and deserve to play in the Olympics for being the best in the world, Canada has so much depth. I really have a tough time in trying to formulate lineups, because of our quality.

Wouldnt it be hard to not take the still reigning Hart Trophy winner? :dunno:

therealdeal

Apr 22, 2005
12# Peter Bondra said:
Wouldnt it be hard to not take the still reigning Hart Trophy winner? :dunno:

Yeah, St. Louis has a really good chance of making the team, I wouldn't call him a lock because basically nobodies a lock, but he has a good chance.

Doan has a very small chance because he's with Gretz all the time, and Marleau has practically no chance at all because he's not that good.

Oilerfan120582

Jul 9, 2005
I can see why Team Canada mangement wasn't too happy about having to pick the team in December. There are 30-40 really strong contenders for this team and a lot could change between December and February. Guys like Crosby, Savard, Staal, Tanguay, Lindros, Marleau, Kariya, Sullivan, and a number of others would almost be a lock to make any other team, but will have a very tough time cracking Team Canada.

All else being equal, Gretzky and co. will go with the guys who played in the World Cup and World Championships over those who didn't, so guys like Doan, Smyth, and Draper will have an advantage over some players who are likely more talented.

I also think Lemieux and Yzerman will be virtually guaranteed spots, if they want them. Even if he is playing poorly, they will not cut Lemieux, I think it will be up to him to give his spot up for someone else if he feels he is no longer able to play at that level.

Remax

Sep 24, 2003
Canada
I am a little disappointed in the list. Seeing some names on there and others not kind of puzzles me. I don't know if anyone not on the list can make it (I know they can but I don't know if they will be given a chance), but some guys I thought should have been on there are: Horton, Steen, Wellwood, Van Ryn, Seabrook, Perry, and Boyes. These guys are all having good years, much better than some of the guys listed. Hopefully the Exec. will give them all a look too.

Kevin Forbes

Jul 29, 2002
Nova Scotia
www.kforbesy.ca
Remax said:
I am a little disappointed in the list. Seeing some names on there and others not kind of puzzles me. I don't know if anyone not on the list can make it (I know they can but I don't know if they will be given a chance), but some guys I thought should have been on there are: Horton, Steen, Wellwood, Van Ryn, Seabrook, Perry, and Boyes. These guys are all having good years, much better than some of the guys listed. Hopefully the Exec. will give them all a look too.

is Swedish

mazmin

Wig like a mink skin, soft like Twinkie dough
May 15, 2004
Winnipeg
Kevin Forbes said:
is Swedish

He's both Canadian and Swedish. He was born the same day, same city and same year as me in Winnipeg. He played hockey there until around 11-12 years old. But since he played for Sweden for the WJC he will probably have to stay with Sweden which makes sense anyway.

arrbez

bad chi
Jun 2, 2004
Toronto
Steen considers himself Swedish as far as I know. Not that it matters, because he would never make team Canada at this point in his career. I assume he was on team Sweden's list though, and I wouldn't be terribly surprised if he made it, because he's such a responsible player (I can see him evolving into a slightly less offensive Simon Gagne)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad