WJC: Canadian U20 WJC Selection Camp Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

TheBigTicket

Aug 18, 2010
Hishon has the best PPG in the CHL, maybe he doesn't have to be able to play a bottom six role because he's a good enough scorer to make it in a scoring role? Crazy thought I know, it's giving you difficulties to wrap your head around it.

My weak attempt at a line up:
Connolly - Schenn - Couturier
Wilson - Hishon - Toffoli
Eakin - Cizikas - Vey
Ashton - Holland - Kassian
Schwartz

Cowen - Ellis
Gudbransson - de Haan
Olsen - Gormley
Murphy (one can hope)

Roy
Pickard

i think with ellis on the team there's no real need for murphy. maybe someone like elliott, who while offensively gifted can also play in all situations

but i have been wrong before

Hale The Villain

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Apr 2, 2008
And LOL at someone including Ty Rattie on their final team list.

Not many 17 year old's make the team....

He's outperforming Johansen, Niederreiter and Ross this year by a lot. Yeah he's 17 but he's crazy underrated and has chemistry with Ross and Johansen. In a 6 game tourney putting players who already know each other's strengths, weaknesses and tendencies on the ice is a huge advantage. Plus he's performed well enough to make the team, if he was 19 he'd be getting a long look that's for sure.

If I was making the team I wouldn't care if he's 16 or 19. If he's going to help the team win the gold I put him on the team.

R S

Sep 18, 2006
He's outperforming Johansen, Niederreiter and Ross this year by a lot. Yeah he's 17 but he's crazy underrated and has chemistry with Ross and Johansen. In a 6 game tourney putting players who already know each other's strengths, weaknesses and tendencies on the ice is a huge advantage. Plus he's performed well enough to make the team, if he was 19 he'd be getting a long look that's for sure.

If I was making the team I wouldn't care if he's 16 or 19. If he's going to help the team win the gold I put him on the team.

I love Rattie and think he's a great player, but chemistry or not Team Canada brass tends to not take 17 year olds. It's just the way it is.

I think he deserves an invite for sure, but if he doesn't get one I wouldn't be shocked for a second.

TYayo

Sep 10, 2009
haven't followed much this year
who's the coach this time
and is Roy from Bathurst projected # 1 Goalie?
Also Schenn is the only person not playing junior to possibly be on the team?
PS I'll miss Eberle

Sens With Benefits

Feb 4, 2010
Canada
I know Cowen was on the team last year, but he was still battling knee injuries and didn't look that great, question is, is he a shoo in for the year?

sickest flow bro

Jun 3, 2008
Halifax
Pickard
Domingue

Ellis-Gudbranson
Cowen-Gormley
Olsen-Dehaan
Elliot-Despres

Connolly Leblanc Glennie
Shugg Johanson Ashton
Eakin Couturier Kassian
Ross Werek Cizikas
Nugent Hopkins Mcfarland

Thats with 14 F and 8 D if Schenn is returned or loaned for camp which I am assuming he will be then I predict:

Connolly Schenn Glennie
Couturier Leblanc Ashton
Kassian Johanson Eakin/Vey
Ross Cizikas/Werek Cizikas/Werek

We may choose our 13th forward to be someone like Nugent-Hopkins for experience, or add to grit and skill with Shugg (plays for Cameron right now). If we bring 8 D Murphy may get a shot like Ellis did a few years back.

Blind Gardien

nexus of the crisis
Apr 2, 2004
Four Winds Bar
Ya because Hishon's play at the U17 or U18 didn't show that he can play a scoring line role on the international level.
I thought he was great at the U-18. Him and McFarland were the best players on Team Canada. Leading the team in scoring is somewhat indicative of being able to "play a scoring line role on the international level", no?

Hishon IMHO should be a lock for the top-6 for Team Canada, and it would not surprise me in the least if he was again the leading scorer for the team.
does gallagher have any chance of making it?
I say no chance. Hockey Canada has a lot more to go on than 1 game of course, but from what little I saw of Gallagher in the game against Russia, I don't see him even being an invite. He'll have to work hard to get into the picture for next year.

s04

Oct 24, 2009
In french:

Formation d'ÉCJ 2011 : de la bouche de Dave Cameron, entraîneur du Canada, à talent égal, ce sera un Ontarien. Êtes-vous surpris?

http://twitter.com/MLalancette

Basically saying that coach Cameron will take an Ontarian player over other players with same talent.

Joe Hallenback

Mar 4, 2005
Ashton Schenn Glennie - Team Canada seems to love players with connections. Ashton and Schenn played together in midget and Schenn and Glennie on Brandon. Seems like a no brainer to throw them together and see if you get some chemistry. It is also a great combination of Speed,Skill and Size.

Connelly Johansen Ross - Again that combination of players who have played together factors in. Toss in a scoring maching like Connelly and you have a potent line.

Hishon Martindale Toffoli - Linemates get together again and produce. I guess that is if Martindale gets an invite he probably should.

Kassian Couturier Wilson - They are big and skilled and would be terribly hard to play against. Have the makings of a good energy line

Eakin - Extra forward can kill penalties with the best of them and step into any role if someone falters

Cowen Gudbranson - Can you say shutdown? Two towers of power on the back end.

Elliot Ellis - From power to power. 2 guys who can move the puck and run a powerplay

Olsen Dehann - 2 guys who can do a bit of everything. Olsen is criminally underated

Gormley/Murphy
- whoever impresses more will get the 7th spot and see powerplay duty.

Roy - Could be the best Junior goalie at his age.
Pickard - Good understudy this year

Blind Gardien

nexus of the crisis
Apr 2, 2004
Four Winds Bar
In french:

Formation d'ÉCJ 2011 : de la bouche de Dave Cameron, entraîneur du Canada, à talent égal, ce sera un Ontarien. Êtes-vous surpris?

http://twitter.com/MLalancette

Basically saying that coach Cameron will take an Ontarian player over other players with same talent.
There are about 80 players with the "same talent", and Cameron doesn't have the only say, even if he was dumb enough to say what this unsubstantiated twitter claims (which he very likely is not). I don't think there is too much point in this guy, whoever he is, trying to beat this old horse again, there simply aren't many Q players even in the running this year. Gormley and Despres on D, Couturier up front, outside chance maybe for Bournival or some other surprise guy, Roy in net, outside chance maybe for another Q goalie in camp, and that's it. There's not going to be much room for controversy there. Gormley not making it would be the only real surprise to me from those players. :dunno:

Bileur

Jun 15, 2004
Ottawa
There are about 80 players with the "same talent", and Cameron doesn't have the only say, even if he was dumb enough to say what this unsubstantiated twitter claims (which he very likely is not). I don't think there is too much point in this guy, whoever he is, trying to beat this old horse again, there simply aren't many Q players even in the running this year. Gormley and Despres on D, Couturier up front, outside chance maybe for Bournival or some other surprise guy, Roy in net, outside chance maybe for another Q goalie in camp, and that's it. There's not going to be much room for controversy there. Gormley not making it would be the only real surprise to me from those players. :dunno:

Agreed.

From the guy's blog he mentions he does not even have the original of the article quoting Cameron saying that, he's got a translation.

Also, he fails to mention in his tweet that Cameron said an equal player from the OHL will have better chances than a player from the Q or the WHL who have not attended camp.

Leaving out those two important distinctions (WHL and camp attendees being excluded) tells me this guy is just trying to stir up some ****.

Doesn't every player who did not attend camp start out at a huge disadvantage?

TheGroceryStick

Jan 19, 2009
Ontario Canada
I get a feeling that Cowen-Gudbranson can be this years version of the two towers, Myers-Aulie

I have always liked Cowen, and think with a good Dman beside him. and some confidence, he will start playing beastly for team Canada.

JeromeHP

Jan 9, 2003
Montreal
hockeyprospect.com

There's not much we can't do about this...coach from the ohl will favors kids from the ohl...coach from the the dub will favor kids from the whl and the same goes for coach from the Q...again i doubt team canada head coach make the decision by themselve. they have a head scout and assistant coach on their staff for a reason.

as for the Q, your right their won't be too much controversy. outside of Roy, Gormley, Despres, Leblanc, Couturier and Bournival i don't see anyone making the team. too bad Deslaurier hurt his knee he was playing great and had a good super series and knew the assistant coach very well from his days in Rouyn-noranda. My biggest dissapointement this year as far as Q prospect has been Charles-Olivier Roussel. He has been outplayed this year in montreal by 2011 prospect Xavier Ouellet.

my prediction is Roy, Gormley, Despres, Leblanc and Couturier make it.

Last edited:

Orwell1984

Feb 10, 2009
A coach usually gets only one shot at this tourny so all things being equal he will go with the player he knows best, and he happens to coach in Ontario. Whether by merit or politically I think Courturier and LeBlanc will be on this team. This is a defence first coach though, if you can't please him defensively you won't be there. Small sampling but the Q and WHL didn't play stellar D in the Subway Series. Agree that there aren't any locks and some deserving players will be left off. Call me crazy but after the obvious 3 or 4, Czikas is my lock, he knows what the coach wants and the coach knows exactly what he is getting.

YEGJuniorFan

Dec 3, 2009
Edmonton
just for selection camp not a roster:

Goalies:

Roy
Pickard
Domingue
Pasquele

Defense:

Gudbranson
Gormely
Ellis
Olsen
De Haan
Cowen
Elliot
Despres
Murphy
Pysyk

Forwards:

Couturier
Glennie
Connolly
Leblanc
Kassian
Hamilton
Eakin
Werek
Ashton
Hishon
Johansen
Ross
Nugent-Hopkins
Schwarz
Spooner
Holland
McKegg
Bournival
Toffoli

R S

Sep 18, 2006
I know Cowen was on the team last year, but he was still battling knee injuries and didn't look that great, question is, is he a shoo in for the year?

I've seen him a few times this year and I expect him to make the team without any issue.

His mobility is better right now than it ever has been, even in his draft year.

He will be the anchor on the blueline if you ask me.

BruinsBtn

Dec 24, 2006
Wow. Only two Q forwards invited to camp. That's a surprise.

Phillippe Paradis looked like a great pick for an energy or checking line in the Subway Series. He was hitting everything, frustrating the Russians and playing great. He absolutely wrecked one of the Russians with a clean hit. He's scoring at a PPG on a bad PEI team and leading the team at +18 -- most of the team is a minus and the next best guy is +8.

Darjeeling

Jul 3, 2009

Phillippe Paradis looked like a great pick for an energy or checking line in the Subway Series. He was hitting everything, frustrating the Russians and playing great. He absolutely wrecked one of the Russians with a clean hit. He's scoring at a PPG on a bad PEI team and leading the team at +18 -- most of the team is a minus and the next best guy is +8.
:yo:

YEGJuniorFan

Dec 3, 2009
Edmonton

the list isnt out is it??

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad