Canadian teams attendance...

Hockeyholic

Apr 20, 2017
Condo My Dad Bought Me
Calgary ( 18,588 avg) isn't close to selling out in a 19,289 building; Vancouver
( 17,703) is nearly 1,000 fans below the 18,800 capacity or whatever it is; Edmonton isn't selling out (18,347); Ottawa's issues have been well documented. Toronto, Winnipeg, Montreal ( Empties though) are at or over 100 percent capacity.

Have the high ticket prices finally caught up to teams? Something else? Or did we always " overrate" how hockey is a " religion" in Canada?

Mods: Feel free to move to business section if needed.

Atrusai

Oct 9, 2017
Flames are trying to screw the city on building a new arena.
Canucks are in a pseudo-rebuild.
Habs and Oilers have been dumpster fires.
Sens need a new arena downtown.
Leaf tickets are overpriced but too much demand.
Jets small arena, only game in town, and playing well.

Reactions: leafs94

Hockeyholic

Apr 20, 2017
Condo My Dad Bought Me
Canada hates hockey, confirmed.
Nice contribution.

Flames are trying to screw the city on building a new arena.
Canucks are in a pseudo-rebuild.
Habs and Oilers have been dumpster fires.
Sens need a new arena downtown.
Leaf tickets are overpriced but too much demand.
Jets small arena, only game in town, and playing well.

Eh....Flames attendance has consistently been going down since they sold out every game in 13-14.

613Leafer

May 26, 2008
Canadian cities aren't very big. Aside from Toronto, Montreal, and to a lesser extent Vancouver. The other four Canadian teams are all in the bottom 5 for population as far as NHL cities go. So they are definitely punching above their weight in terms of per capita revenue.

In saying that, yea, they're obviously charging too much if they're not selling out. Pretty basic supply/demand, if you're not selling out, then the price is too high.

Personally, when I lived in Toronto, it was ~$150 for a bad upper bowl ticket. Add in getting some food/beer, and you're looking at ~$350-400 for two people for a night out. In Ottawa, it's cheaper (but still ~$200 for a night out with upper bowl seats), and also way out in the middle of nowhere. As an alternative, I can watch at a sportsbar and get a similar atmosphere and spend ~$50 for two people.

Anton Hipchekhov

Sep 30, 2017
Not sure you can make this about a reduced Canadian interest in hockey.

You're right about ticket pricing, though. I'd like to see more dynamic pricing where a random Tuesday night game against a non-rival would be a fraction of the price of the better games. I think you'd get better game environments instead of season ticket holders just bailing on games.

Reactions: 204hockey

danielpalfredsson

youtube dot com /watch?v=CdqMZ_s7Y6k
Aug 14, 2013
Low population of fans to draw from (Small population that was already fragmented by MTL+TOR fans prior to the Sens coming back.) compared to what is probably the lowest corporate support in Canada (AKA more tickets to sell to less actual people) is a big reason why Ottawa struggles.

There are marketing issues and other things that are also responsible, but the main issue is the skewed supply and demand.

Advanced stats

May 26, 2010
Well Vancouver and Ottawa can't give tickets away. Calgary is nearly 800 below the capacity. So yeah....there are "problems" in some markets.
When 80% of the American teams get to a 95%+ capacity, than we can say that Canadians have a problem.

As it is, Canadian teams are, as a whole, doing great and a role model for most American teams.

Once again, Canadian teams don't have a problem filling their arenas.

Hockeyholic

Apr 20, 2017
Condo My Dad Bought Me
Not sure you can make this about a reduced Canadian interest in hockey.

You're right about ticket pricing, though. I'd like to see more dynamic pricing where a random Tuesday night game against a non-rival would be a fraction of the price of the better games. I think you'd get better game environments instead of season ticket holders just bailing on games.

But how can Ottawa be explained? I mean they can't give tickets away to a near cup final team. I hear about the location; why were they nearly selling out on a regular basis during the Alfie years of 05-09? Has there been job losses? Demographic changes?

BruinsFan1990

Mar 29, 2016
Winthrop, MA
I actually have a ton of respect for Ottawa fans. I've been to their arena 3 times and it is an absolute cluster ****. I drove back to Boston after a game and it took me over an hour just to get out of the parking lot, and another 30 minutes to get out of the highway traffic.

That team needs an arena downtown.

njdevil26

I hate avocados
Dec 13, 2006
Clark, NJ
Pricing shouldn't be a problem. I was just looking at mid-week prices vs non marquee teams and Flames/Canucks tickets are actually cheaper than a ticket to the Devils/Panthers game Monday.

Hockeyholic

Apr 20, 2017
Condo My Dad Bought Me
When 80% of the American teams get to a 95%+ capacity, than we can say that Canadians have a problem.

As it is, Canadian teams are, as a whole, doing great and a role model for most American teams.

Once again, Canadian teams don't have a problem filling their arenas.

The Provies: Peak PP, Attendance woes, Radio Wars and Reasons JV18 was Scratched

http://www.cbc.ca/m/sports/hockey/nhl/ottawa-senators-ticket-struggles-continue-1.4343002

Sens are currently at 81 percent capacity.

Hockey is a niche sport in America. It always will be. It was said hockey was a religion in canada though...

Anton Hipchekhov

Sep 30, 2017
But how can Ottawa be explained? I mean they can't give tickets away to a near cup final team. I hear about the location; why were they nearly selling out on a regular basis during the Alfie years of 05-09? Has there been job losses? Demographic changes?

Hmmm....I can't explain Ottawa but in general, ticket prices are awfully high and increasing while real incomes are not. Regardless of whatever stats can be gathered from our real estate economy

Advanced stats

May 26, 2010
Again, OTTAWA IS having a problem filling the buildings. You can't argue with facts.

The Provies: Peak PP, Attendance woes, Radio Wars and Reasons JV18 was Scratched

http://www.cbc.ca/m/sports/hockey/nhl/ottawa-senators-ticket-struggles-continue-1.4343002

Sens are currently at 81 percent capacity.

Hockey is a niche sport in America. It always will be. It was said hockey was a religion in canada though...

Fixed for you.

This is an Ottawa problem.

500-1000 seats open, as in Vancouver and Calgary, is simply managing your profit margins.

CanuckGame39

Oct 13, 2006
Vancouver, B.C.
Hockey is a Religion in Canada. We're
Just watching at home now instead of at the arena.

I just choose not to get bent over and taken advantage of. To take a family of 4 to a Canucks game you're looking at around $600-1000 after tickets, food, parking. Not sure how many of you can blow a g note for a night of entertainment on a regular basis.

I can watch at home, with a 12 pack of beer and be just as entertained.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad