GDT: Canadian Soccer | Final Pre-WC Friendlies - Sept 23 @ 11 AM vs. Qatar

Behind Enemy Lines

Feb 19, 2003
Vancouver
Lots of interesting posts here. Thank you.

I didn't realize the participants numbers were bumping up from 32 to 48. Per some points made, that is certainly diluting the talent and likely some teams which are completely overmatched. Hopefully it might tease out some some cinderella runs within it too. As well, such a strange dilution to run a three country hosting arrangement which I don't know if that has ever been done before.

On the talk of host costing, thought I would share this article with some details of scope and anticipated budget for Vancouver. Of course for super events, maintaining budgets is generally a major challenge. Thankfully the infrastructure component is in place with seeding a grass field showing as a smaller, controlled cost. It will cost up to $260 million to host the 2026 FIFA World Cup in Vancouver | Offside

I'm not a fan of FIFA, Olympic or most International sports governing bodies for their innate cronyism and grotesque graft. Agree with some here that Vancouver and Toronto are positioned better for international tourism (access and theoretical halo bump post event) than Edmonton. Edmonton might have positioned itself for a regional tourism audience aligned with its Festival brand positioning attracting inter-provincial soccer fans with international visitation via countries assigned to play in Edmonton. Vancouver and B.C. can spin this investment as a post-pandemic tourism strategy to drive tourism visitation and destination awareness during hosting with an anticipated 'halo' effect that inspires future visitation through exposure to watching the games via tv and online platforms. Even that though is heavily diluted with this crazy three country hosting with massive number of host cities sprawled all over the place. Most economic ROI studies are fanciful fairy dust and I expect much the same with these games.

Still, I'm stoked to experience a World Cup and hopefully to attend some games. Edmonton deserved a better fate for its history of support for large scale soccer events (and others). But the real economic effect was likely not there. And the provincial government trying to broker its terms with Fifa would be a total non-starter.

The bigger, hopeful picture is that more cities and regions are beginning to rebuff the 'privilege' of hosting Fifa, Olympic mega-events hopefully helping to reset the systemic corruption and graft that's become baked into their decision making and corporate cultures.

Last edited:

AM

Nov 22, 2004
Edmonton

I didn't realize the participants numbers were bumping up from 32 to 48. Per some points made, that is certainly diluting the talent and likely some teams which are completely overmatched. Hopefully it might tease out some some cinderella runs within it too. As well, such a strange dilution to run a three country hosting arrangement which I don't know if that has ever been done before.

On the talk of host costing, thought I would share this article with some details of scope and anticipated budget for Vancouver. Of course for super events, maintaining budgets is generally a major challenge. Thankfully the infrastructure component is in place with seeding a grass field showing as a smaller, controlled cost. It will cost up to $260 million to host the 2026 FIFA World Cup in Vancouver | Offside

I'm not a fan of FIFA, Olympic or most International sports governing bodies for their innate cronyism and grotesque graft. Agree with some here that Vancouver and Toronto are positioned better for international tourism (access and theoretical halo bump post event) than Edmonton. Edmonton might have positioned itself for a regional tourism audience aligned with its Festival brand positioning attracting inter-provincial soccer fans with international visitation via countries assigned to play in Edmonton. Vancouver and B.C. can spin this investment as a post-pandemic tourism strategy to drive tourism visitation and destination awareness during hosting with an anticipated 'halo' effect that inspires future visitation through exposure to watching the games via tv and online platforms. Even that though is heavily diluted with this crazy three country hosting with massive number of host cities sprawled all over the place. Most economic ROI studies are fanciful fairy dust and I expect much the same with these games.

Still, I'm stoked to experience a World Cup and hopefully to attend some games. Edmonton deserved a better fate for its history of support for large scale soccer events (and others). But the real economic effect was likely not there. And the provincial government trying to broker its terms with Fifa would be a total non-starter.

The bigger, hopeful picture is that more cities and regions are beginning to rebuff the 'privilege' of hosting Fifa, Olympic mega-events hopefully helping to reset the systemic corruption and graft that's become baked into their decision making and corporate cultures.
FIFA is the perfect example of what you can expect from big government.

Drivesaitl

Finding Hyman
Oct 8, 2017
Canuck hunting

Just a great post. Thanks for the further details on the Vancouver hosting costs.
Just for perspective the WC for the longest time was a 24 nation format. So that the dilution, if you will, is now doubled. Its 100% increased teams. In effect its just more nations playing in the World Cup instead of qualifying rounds. It means potentially 12 knockout groups instead of 6. I mean the increase in teams is staggering, and nobody even knows what it looks like. Even the increase to 32 clubs, which is fairly recent was met with a lot of criticism.

Worse, so many more nations qualifying just means so much more chance for upsets, for "groups of death" or for other groups of free bingo access to knockout rounds.

FIFA increasing to 48 teams world cup is flat out avarice, milking, basic contempt for the world biggest sporting spectacle and for the viewer. Of course there are limits to how many games people will watch, or go to, and it seems like FIFA are very interested in finding out. Myself I find it sad. 24 nation World Cups were the best. Or maybe even the 16 team format which occurred as recently as the 70's when I started watching WC's. So that teams in the WC have TRIPLED in the space of 40yrs. hard to justify it other than FIFA wanting most money possible.

edit 2026 WC will be 16 groups of 3 teams. Even worse than I thought. The likelihood is that many of the "host" cities just get one lame 3 team group and thats it. So that conceivably you could have a place like Vancouver shelling out Quarter Billion bucks to get a decidedly non stellar group. Plus maybe one Canada match. The striking thing that has received very little print is that a host Nation could be playing as few as 2 guaranteed games, down from the currently guaranteed 3 in group stage. Its all pretty sad.

So ten Canada hosted games could be Toronto hosting one group, Vancouver another, and one of them involving Canada. Probably a first round knock out game or two involving random nations.

Thats about as good as it gets. Like I said Canada, and Mexico, in total, got jobbed on this WC.

At least for fans of it Belgium probably ends up playing group stage in Toronto. They kind of deserve those never win divers..hehe

Last edited:

AM

Nov 22, 2004
Edmonton
From Journal article:

Insiders tell me provincial leaders later made it clear to FIFA those conditions were not dealbreakers, then came through with sincere efforts up to the last day to assist Edmonton’s application.

Vancouver and Toronto are much nicer cities than Edmonton. Not surprising people blaming Kenney like they do for everything.
Keep in mind, there is 5 years before the World Cup. Lots of politicking and horse trading to go yet.

Cloned

Begging for Bega
Aug 25, 2003
Canada get its final chances to prepare for the WC starting today at 11 AM.

Should be interesting.

The match is actually taking place in Vienna, Austria.

rboomercat90

Mar 24, 2013
Edmonton
Canada get its final chances to prepare for the WC starting today at 11 AM.

Should be interesting.

The match is actually taking place in Vienna, Austria.
It’s a damn joke that this game isn’t available on tv unless I buy a subscription to some fringe channel I’d never normally watch. Annoys me as much as it did when practically every game of the Euro Championship and Copa was televised on Canadian tv but the Gold Cup wasn’t.

Cloned

Begging for Bega
Aug 25, 2003
It’s a damn joke that this game isn’t available on tv unless I buy a subscription to some fringe channel I’d never normally watch. Annoys me as much as it did when practically every game of the Euro Championship and Copa was televised on Canadian tv but the Gold Cup wasn’t.
Hopefully as soccer grows in this country, the coverage will too.

Canada with a pretty dominant 2-0 win. Qatar looked really poor though and it probably doesn’t bode well for the host country in the WC.

Drivesaitl

Finding Hyman
Oct 8, 2017
Canuck hunting
Hopefully as soccer grows in this country, the coverage will too.

Canada with a pretty dominant 2-0 win. Qatar looked really poor though and it probably doesn’t bode well for the host country in the WC.
Doesn't bode well either that the timing for this WC really sucks. The whole world is conditioned to World Cups played in Northern Hemisphere Summers. A WC in November just seems so weird. Teams all qualified long time ago and just seems like interest would have been at a peak if WC was played in summer. Weird location Qatar. I'll watch but it seems like a long wait since qualifying. Could use some sports viewing now.

Cloned

Begging for Bega
Aug 25, 2003
Doesn't bode well either that the timing for this WC really sucks. The whole world is conditioned to World Cups played in Northern Hemisphere Summers. A WC in November just seems so weird. Teams all qualified long time ago and just seems like interest would have been at a peak if WC was played in summer. Weird location Qatar. I'll watch but it seems like a long wait since qualifying. Could use some sports viewing now.
My guess is the Uruguay friendly on Tuesday will be televised. Hopefully lol.

MoneyGuy

Wandering
Oct 19, 2009
Not Canadian soccer but really cool. My soccer-crazy son-in-law is in Leipzig today and will be in Berlin tomorrow for the Hungary-Germany game. He’s a fan of Germany.

Drivesaitl

Finding Hyman
Oct 8, 2017
Canuck hunting
Not Canadian soccer but really cool. My soccer-crazy son-in-law is in Leipzig today and will be in Berlin tomorrow for the Hungary-Germany game. He’s a fan of Germany.
I was in their better times. Not expecting much from Germany now, and hopefully I'm wrong. Hungary probably has half a chance of winning again.

Edit: Germany lost. Couldn't score. Sane is still on the national team along with a lot of other pretenders. No reason to watch if it was on.

Zenos

Oct 4, 2009
I was in their better times. Not expecting much from Germany now, and hopefully I'm wrong. Hungary probably has half a chance of winning again.

Edit: Germany lost. Couldn't score. Sane is still on the national team along with a lot of other pretenders. No reason to watch if it was on.
Not only was their play sloppy on the pitch, but the Mannschaft also looked terrible tonight - who in the world designed those brutal kits?
The women got it right at the recent Euro 22 - now that's what a Germany home kit should look like. Shame that the gents have to wear such a travesty of a uniform.
germany_v_hungary_uefa_nations_league_-_league_path_group_3.jpeg

Alright, rant over :sarcasm:

Drivesaitl

Finding Hyman
Oct 8, 2017
Canuck hunting
Not only was their play sloppy on the pitch, but the Mannschaft also looked terrible tonight - who in the world designed those brutal kits?
The women got it right at the recent Euro 22 - now that's what a Germany home kit should look like. Shame that the gents have to wear such a travesty of a uniform.
germany_v_hungary_uefa_nations_league_-_league_path_group_3.jpeg

Alright, rant over :sarcasm:
With the latest Hansi Flick critiques of Qatar it looks like Germany mailing this WC in before its even started. I'm not expecting much from this lineup. I don't see a lot of guys that score under pressure for Germany. Really not getting that feel of an inspired or confident German side. Today probably foreshadowing that and getting shut out worse.

Don't think we'll be seeing these kits for a long time.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad