Canadian Government Freezing Hockey Canada Funding- (2018 Canada World Jr Team Alleged Sexual Assault)

Status
Not open for further replies.

UrbanImpact

Apr 12, 2021
Canadian Government is freezing any funds for Hockey Canada until Hockey Canada agrees to sign up with an independent agency that can investigate reports of abuse of inappropriate behavior moving forward.

This stems from a woman who filed a 3.55 million dollar lawsuit against 8 CHL players who were also members the 2018 Team Canada World Junior Team. The woman alleges that she was sexually assaulted in London Ontario following a Team Gala in 2018. Hockey Canada eventually settled with the woman, and the charges were dropped.

Canadian government called Hockey Canada to testify a few days ago in regards to where the settlement money came from to ensure it wasnt from Government funding money aka public tax payer money. Canadian Government was evidently unhappy with the results of their investigation , thus freezing the funding to Hockey Canada. Last year alone, Hockey Canada received 18 million dollars of funding from the government.

Side note: The 2018 Team Canada team is filled with some prominent players. Im not surprised Team Canada settled the lawsuit within 2 weeks of the lawsuit being filed.

Last edited:

Divine

Dec 18, 2010
I think it's completely fair. They want to assure no public funding went to the settlement.

The issue though is, if they're trying to get to the bottom of who the players were it seems neither the victim or lawyers ever identified the players, including in the lawsuit. The players were named as John Doe's - so unless the players themselves admit to it, I don't know how far an investigation can get unless she agrees to come forward with the names.

MXD

Original #4
Oct 27, 2005
I think it's completely fair. They want to assure no public funding went to the settlement.

The issue though is, if they're trying to get to the bottom of who the players were it seems neither the victim or lawyers ever identified the players, including in the lawsuit. The players were named as John Doe's - so unless the players themselves admit to it, I don't know how far an investigation can get unless she agrees to come forward with the names.

Players who were part of these events can't talk about it (well, almost certainly can't), as per Settlement.
Players who weren't absolutely aren't bound by that Settlement.

If I were the Sens (because that's a low-hanging fruit, being in Ottawa and all), I absolutely ask Formenton and Batherson to deny their involvement. (Mete is gone as far as I'm concerned, and it's been established that he doesn't have anything to do with this).

Reactions: nturn06

surixon

Jul 12, 2003
Winnipeg
Canadian Government is freezing any funds for Hockey Canada until Hockey Canada agrees to sign up with an independent agency that can investigate reports of abuse of inappropriate behavior moving forward.

This stems from a woman who filed a 3.55 million dollar lawsuit against 8 players from the 2018 Team Canada World Junior Team. The woman alleges that she was sexually assaulted in London Ontario following a Team Gala in 2018. Hockey Canada eventually settled with the woman, and the charges were dropped.

Canadian government called Hockey Canada to testify a few days ago in regards to where the settlement came from to ensure it was from Government funding money aka public tax payer money. Canadian Government was of evidently unhappy with the results of their investigation , thus freezing and funding to Hockey Canada. Last year alone, Hockey Canada received 18 million dollars of funding from the government.

Side note: The 2018 Team Canada team is filled with some prominent players. Im not surprised Team Canada settled the lawsuit within 2 weeks of the lawsuit being filed.

I think there are numerous areas where they dropped the ball but a fail to see how settling the lawsuit in a timely manner is an issue. The victim wanted financial compensation and Team Canada instead of denying and dragging this out for years in an expensive court case moved to quickly settle with her. In a time where victims aren't often heard or believed it certainly appears as though this one was believed which I think is a positive.

Obviously Hockey Canada needs to update its policies and be more transparent with their reporting etc and I applaud the government for ensuring they do so. They also need to pay this level of scrutiny to the other sports federations in this country as well though as ita not just hockey thay is toxic.

On the matter of the 8 John Doe's I put more blame on the police for not being able to properly uncover and charge those individuals then I do on Hockey Canada.

Suntouchable13

Dec 20, 2003
Toronto, ON

Also, it is possible that the victim wouldn’t even know the names of all 8 players. I highly doubt she knew all of them before the incident. SO I reckon she is unable to identify them anyway.

Golden_Jet

Sep 21, 2005

This stems from a woman who filed a 3.55 million dollar lawsuit against 8 players from the 2018 Team Canada World Junior Team. The woman alleges that she was sexually assaulted in London Ontario following a Team Gala in 2018. Hockey Canada eventually settled with the woman, and the charges were dropped.

Canadian government called Hockey Canada to testify a few days ago in regards to where the settlement money came from to ensure it wasnt from Government funding money aka public tax payer money. Canadian Government was evidently unhappy with the results of their investigation , thus freezing the funding to Hockey Canada. Last year alone, Hockey Canada received 18 million dollars of funding from the government.

PLEASE correct the wording in your post.
As your misrepresenting the facts, it’s members of WJC and some CHL players. ( not the precise wording).
Written 8 CHL players from WJC but not limited to, with some CHL players.
You need to find the correct language used, as your wording is strictly WJC, when we know it wasn’t all WJC.

Edit: believe it was worded, by eight players “for, and members of the Canadian Hockey League and Hockey Canada, including but not limited to members of“ that year’s gold medal-winning U20 Men’s Junior Hockey Team. The incident followed a Hockey Canada Foundation golf outing and gala event, according to the claim.

Last edited:
Reactions: 57special

Dr Pepper

Dec 9, 2005
Sunny Etobicoke
Last thread on this topic got locked up so I'm guessing this one will go as well.

In the meantime, though, sure would be nice if Hockey Canada didn't use taxpayer funds as hush money for rape victims. Can't rock the boat, eh? Got these players' careers to think about!

WarriorofTime

Jul 3, 2010
Hockey Canada's quick decision to settle and bury the issue without investigation means it is unlikely the culpable will ever be revealed unless one of the innocent players essentially "rats" them out

PLEASE correct the wording in your post.
As your misrepresenting the facts, it’s members of WJC and some CHL players. ( not the precise wording).
Written 8 CHL players from WJC but not limited to, with some CHL players.
You need to find the correct language used, as your wording is strictly WJC, when we know it wasn’t all WJC.
The reports are a bit mixed, but I think based on the facts, it was a case where victim met up with a CHL player (no WJC) that she was familiar with at bar, that CHL player introduced her to members from the WJC team in town for the gala, they went back to the hotel and then there was a sexual assault, it is likely that most of the assaulters were members of the WJC team (if not all entirely) because they were the ones that would be staying at the hotel after the gala.

surixon

Jul 12, 2003
Winnipeg
Last thread on this topic got locked up so I'm guessing this one will go as well.

In the meantime, though, sure would be nice if Hockey Canada didn't use taxpayer funds as hush money for rape victims. Can't rock the boat, eh? Got these players' careers to think about!

I mean what were they supposed to do vis a vis the lawsuit? Generally when your sued you either fight it tooth and nail or you settle. I mean most people were happy for Beach when his lawsuit was settled by the Hawks. Why now in a different case is settling the lawsuit with the victim seen as a bad thing?

Alicat

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 26, 2005
Boston
I mean what were they supposed to do vis a vis the lawsuit? Generally when your sued you either fight it tooth and nail or you settle. I mean most people were happy for Beach when his lawsuit was settled by the Hawks. Why now in a different case is settling the lawsuit with the victim seen as a bad thing?
Because it was brought by a young woman who wishes to remain anonymous and who did not name the players. It is common in society for women who bring these kinds of allegations against athletes to not be believed and only in it to "ruin" the player(s) and "get rich".

Look up Deshaun Watson and just how vile people have been to the 24 women who accused him of a variety of things and who were found credible.

It is so gross

Transplanted Caper

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 24, 2003
Obviously, the incident itself is appalling, but I'd imagine the funding got cutoff after Hockey Canada's pathetic performance on Monday at Committee. While they tried to talk a good game about how quickly they acted, it became pretty clear getting to the bottom of things clearly wasn't a priority. They couldn't confirm the number of players who agreed to participate in the third party investigation, essentially admitted said investigation was only half-finished and didn't reach even the most basic of conclusions, offered no real defense of not using their leverage to get players to participate, and had little in the way to say about general policy changes they've implemented since the incident. Their "this is a journey we're on" was incredibly tone-deaf and made it sound like they only discovered the dark side of hockey culture in 2022. They're rightfully up the creek. The government isn't messing around, and have the support of all the other parties to push hard on this. Expect HC to be brought back to Committee in the fall, if not in an emergency hearing in the summer.

Alicat

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 26, 2005
Boston
Question for a legal expert in Canada:

Does the NDA signed also cover the players and thus prevent the police from investigating and the courts from prosecuting them?

Reactions: dukeofjive

Transplanted Caper

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 24, 2003
any news on who those 8 players were? and also what was the accusation? was it verbal/physical?

The accusation is that it was a gang sexual assault. There is not, and won't be, any news on the identities of the players. The woman has not provided that information and even Hockey Canada says they have no knowledge who the 8 are.

Reactions: PromisedLand

ORRFForever

Oct 29, 2018
From what I heard, there is no criminal case. Hockey Canada wanted to make this go away so they reached into their pockets. If anyone was going to pay, it should have been the players, NOT Hockey Canada.

Might be best to leave well enough alone.

Last edited:
Reactions: DingDongCharlie
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad