Canadian goaltending development

obanga

Dec 11, 2008
Yes, this is a knee-jerk reaction from the WJC Gold medal game post.

In the last few seasons, there haven't been many great Canadian goaltenders coming out.

Steve Mason had a great rookie season, probably aided by the system, but has been meh since then. Chet Pickard had a horrible season last year. Jake Allen is doing well in the AHL I believe.

Canada's best goalies Luongo and Brodeur are over 30. Price, Ward and Crawford seem to be the only young goalies doing well in the NHL. Fleury is having a great season but hasn't been exactly too consistent in the last seasons.

Most of the goalies dominating the statsboard in the recent years are Americans (Tim Thomas (ok he's kinda old), Quick, Ryan Miller (having a off year I guess?), Howard (great season last year) and Jack Campbell is a great prospect) or European (Lundquist, Varlamov, Vokoun, Pavelec, Rinne, Halak, Bryzgalov, Backstrom, with young goalies like Lindback, Rehner, Markstrom.

Are we still producing elite goaltenders? I remember the time when we had so many awesome goalies coming out of Quebec, etc.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad