Music: Canadian cops to punish drunk drivers with Nickelback tunes

Lost Horizons

Oct 14, 2006
Mass
Canadian cops to punish drunk drivers with Nickelback tunes

Talk about cruel and unusual punishment!

The Canadian town of Kensington has hit upon a genius plan to detract its residents from drinking and driving this holiday season.

Not only will the cops charge you, they'll also blast Nickelback while they haul you to jail.

The Kensington Police Service laid down the law in a Facebook post over the weekend for those "dumb enough to feel they can drink and drive."

"When we catch you, and we will catch you," the department added, "on top of a hefty fine, a criminal charge and a years driving suspension we will also provide you with a bonus gift of playing the offices copy of Nickelback in the cruiser on the way to jail."

Constable Robb Hartlen told CNN the department doesn't actually hate the band - Canada's most questionable gift to the world.
"We are just using a different approach to get an age-old message communicated," he said. "As long as it starts the 'Don't drink and drive' dialogue, we're happy with that."

The department said it hasn't had to unleash Chad Kroeger and the boys on anyone yet. And it hopes it stays that way.

"So please, lets not ruin a perfectly good unopened copy of Nickelback," it said in its post. "You don't drink and drive and we won't make you listen to it."

Leafsdude7

Stand-Up Philosopher
Mar 26, 2011
Ontario
As I posted in the politics thread about this, I'd think drunk drivers would be the types who would like Nickelback. :dunno:

On average, at least.

BonMorrison

Jun 17, 2011
Toronto, ON
I'm not gonna lie, I love hearing Nickelback and other terrible music when I'm drunk because it gives me an excuse to start obnoxiously belting out the words in my mock Chad Kroeger voice.

Shareefruck

Apr 2, 2005
Vancouver, BC
I would say that they're awful, but no more awful than alot of other bands that don't get crapped on as much, but probably should be. In other words, it's a little bizarre that they get singled out.

Xelebes

Jun 10, 2007
Edmonton, Alberta
They're not that bad. People just think it's cool to bash them.

Nah, it's not that it is cool to bash them. Nickelback just has the distinction of having some of their songs crowding out the top rotations of 00s radio. People are tired of it. And when you are tired, you get cranky.

Hackett

BAKAMAN
Mar 4, 2002
Visit site
Nah, it's not that it is cool to bash them. Nickelback just has the distinction of having some of their songs crowding out the top rotations of 00s radio. People are tired of it. And when you are tired, you get cranky.

I think the hate really escalated and stuck after they released their 2001 album. It was the one that really broke them into the mainstream, I think.

Anyways, the point is, Nickelback has been pretty much crapped on since 2002ish

Alex Jones

BIG BOWL 'A CHILI!!
Jun 8, 2009
Conspiratron 9000
I mean, when you're faded you'll get down to anything, this sounds like a reward.

This is like threatening to feed people food from Golden Corral when drunk. Yea, Golden Corral is horrible and potentially unsafe for human consumption, but when I'm faded I'll eat that **** until I puke.

BonMorrison

Jun 17, 2011
Toronto, ON
Don't Stop Believing and Bohemian Rhapsody. If I have to hear one more person karaoke that song and have all their drunk friends join in, I swear.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad