Canada's NEW Selection Process...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Hart_House_Ca

Feb 21, 2004
Since Canada has an abundance of hockey talent, why not change the selection process?...

Everyone is always talking about how no one players is bigger than the team, and that team chemistry is the most important in Canada. If thats the case, why not build on that philosophy to create a better team..

Lets make selection process similar to that of The Curling Briar and Scott tournaments of Harts. Where each province compete to represent Team Canada. Instead of provinces we have the 3 Canadian Junior Leagues compete in an all-star game to represent Canada.

Benefits include greater team chemistry as most of these players would know each other because they play in the same league. Great scouting as these are the coaches that coach in these leagues. Great team test as its a best on best vs other Canadian Leagues. Now if we can beat each other in a game, why couldn't we feel confident that this Canadian team wouldn't be able to beat other countries.

This is almost a great pre-tournament prep. Fairness. Greater opportunity for hockey players to represent their country, without being dependent on a great hockey year or the lottery.

gb701

Feb 21, 2003
Visit site
Team "Canada"?? :shakehead

So you leave some of your best at home just because the fans like to argue about selction. Under your suggestion, at least 4 and as many as a dozen or more of Canada's best would stay home while a weaker than necessary team goes to face the world.

Fortunately, this is a non-starter.

cj

Jul 17, 2004
Well, this year that would have been a good way to ensure even more representation from the WHL and tick off the OHL and Q fans even more. ;)

Big Deaner

Mar 6, 2003
Calgary
Visit site
Hart_House_Ca said:
Since Canada has an abundance of hockey talent, why not change the selection process?...

Everyone is always talking about how no one players is bigger than the team, and that team chemistry is the most important in Canada. If thats the case, why not build on that philosophy to create a better team..

Lets make selection process similar to that of The Curling Briar and Scott tournaments of Harts. Where each province compete to represent Team Canada. Instead of provinces we have the 3 Canadian Junior Leagues compete in an all-star game to represent Canada.

Benefits include greater team chemistry as most of these players would know each other because they play in the same league. Great scouting as these are the coaches that coach in these leagues. Great team test as its a best on best vs other Canadian Leagues. Now if we can beat each other in a game, why couldn't we feel confident that this Canadian team wouldn't be able to beat other countries.

This is almost a great pre-tournament prep. Fairness. Greater opportunity for hockey players to represent their country, without being dependent on a great hockey year or the lottery.

This would definitely be the smart move. :shakehead

HABracadabra

Feb 27, 2002
Montreal
Visit site
The whl might complain...

Imagine that the tournament final is one game and that it's WHL vs the Q. You have in this one game 3 or 4 guys of the W sick cause of foos poisonning (they ate some mad cow from Alberta) Sydney Crosby play a hell of a game and the Q goalie gets hot like only some Q goalie can become sometimes and the Q wins 5-4. You think that it would be fair that the Q represents Canada because of a fluke situation?

Listen i'm as unhappy as the next guy for the poor representation of the Q, and even if i don't mind if all the players come from the W if it's Sutter's choice, i think he could have invited more guys from the O and The Q to avoid confrontation now (even if he would have selected the other guys at the end) But i think trying to change the selection format is ludicrous...

SeLaine

May 26, 2004
Absolutely not. This is Team Canada not Team WHL, OHL, QMJHL, etc. What would be the point of this? Here's an idea instead of the Canada Russia challenge have a series of exhibition games between the WHL, OHL, and Q teams as an added scouting tool for Hockey Canada. That way we can see how these players match up against one another.

canucksfan

Mar 16, 2002
British Columbia
Visit site
markov` said:
On a best of seven series, QJMHL beats WHL at least two times.
I cant see that happening. I assume you are talking about this years group. I would be shocked if the Q won more than one game. The WHL gets a slight nod in the goalies. When you compare their defences the WHL defence is far superior to the Quebec Leagues'. Moreover, the WHL's forwards are also much better.

Just look at how the WHL dominated the Russians while the Quebec League lost both games. Granted, the Russians had better players when they played the Quebec League. However, the games were close while the Russians werent in the same league as the WHL.

Jacques Plante

Aug 29, 2004
Montreal--Downtown
theredmile said:
Here's an idea instead of the Canada Russia challenge have a series of exhibition games between the WHL, OHL, and Q teams as an added scouting tool for Hockey Canada. That way we can see how these players match up against one another.

I like that Idea but I just don't think there's enough time for it. With all the travel there would be either a break in the schedule or the product would suffer. After that all those teams lose their top players to the WJC. I think major Jr teams would just get to pissed off for this.

Still, it would be great...

Bicycle Repairman

Jul 1, 2003
Visit site
I think perhaps Hockey Canada should just dispense with the whole notion of sending a national team to the World Junior Championships altogether since it only seems to fuel regional tensions. If the goal is to foster national unity, then it's a miserable failure.

Lanny MacDonald*

I think you need to seek some help. You need to accept the fact that the players have been scouted repeatedly and there is a book made on all of them. They were scouted to be drafted into junior and then scouted endlessly to be drafted into the NHL. The leagues are continually scouted and this year is exceptionally heavy for scouting since it is the only game in town. I'm sure that Hockey Canada talked with a lot of people before making the decision as to who to invite. Add to that is the evaluation camp from the summer and you have plenty of opportunities for players to impress. It is likely that the QMJHL players don't get a sniff because at the WJC you have to be two way players and the Q just doesn't play a two way game to the same level of the other leagues. The Q has faired poorly for almost a decade and I'm pretty sure it is because of this desire by the coaches, even when a Q coach has selected the team. The OHL would have faired much better and split the team with the WHL but the best players from that loop were not made available or were injured. When you consider the four or five of those guys would have been there, and four or five WHL players would have likely been bumped, it would even things out dramatically.

cj

Jul 17, 2004
Bicycle Repairman said:
I think perhaps Hockey Canada should just dispense with the whole notion of sending a national team to the World Junior Championships altogether since it only seems to fuel regional tensions. If the goal is to foster national unity, then it's a miserable failure.

I wouldn't say that. People like to gripe about selections just like they did for Canada's World Cup team and the Junior team last year and the Canadian Olympic team....well, people just like to gripe period. But once the puck drops, 99.99% of the complainers, including those now claiming they won't cheer for Canada, will be waving the maple leaf flag just like the rest of us.

Bicycle Repairman

Jul 1, 2003
Visit site
cj said:
I wouldn't say that. People like to gripe about selections just like they did for Canada's World Cup team and the Junior team last year and the Canadian Olympic team....well, people just like to gripe period. But once the puck drops, 99.99% of the complainers, including those now claiming they won't cheer for Canada, will be waving the maple leaf flag just like the rest of us.
I don't know about that. As a Westerner, I'll go to my grave bitter that Gary Unger was left off Team Canada 1972.

When national hockey team player selections face more scrutiny that Federal Cabinet appointments, than perhaps we, as a country, should step back and re-examine our priorities.

BCCHL inactive

Bicycle Repairman said:
When national hockey team player selections face more scrutiny that Federal Cabinet appointments, than perhaps we, as a country, should step back and re-examine our priorities.

:handclap:

MrMastodonFarm*

Jul 5, 2004
Bicycle Repairman said:
I don't know about that. As a Westerner, I'll go to my grave bitter that Gary Unger was left off Team Canada 1972.

That was deep, it cut to my heart.

Anyways, considering you are taking Gary Unger left off the '72 team to your grave maybe you should be re-examining your priorities.

cj

Jul 17, 2004
Bicycle Repairman said:

What? You mean, hockey ISN'T more important than the government? Come on now...

Anyone else find it funny that it's easterners complaining about a Western bias? Talk about role reversal.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad