WC: Canada's 2013 Roster if there is no season because of the lockout

Status
Not open for further replies.

MyNameIsNobody*

If there's a lockout that whipes out the full season, this is the WHC roster I would like to see:

Perry-Crosby-Iginla
Tavares-Stamkos-Giroux
Nash-Toews-Staal
Hall-RNH-Eberle
Spezza

Doughty-Weber
Letang-Pietrangelo
Keith-Seabrook
Boyle

Luongo
Price
Holtby

That's a nice line up, but we need to go with the young guys...The guys in BOLD need to give way for the younger guys...
Replace Iginla by Evander Kane or Logan Couture or brother Staal
and
Boyle by Myers or Subban or
Jay Bouwmeester or Dion Phaneuf or Dan Girardi or Kevin Bieksa
Also
Make Price Number 1 (plays on a crappy Montreal team getting LOTS of ice time and seeing lots of rubber)

FiLe

Mr. Know-It-Nothing
Oct 9, 2009
If there's a full season lockout, one also has to take into consideration that not every NHLer will find a substitute team to play in. Besides the insurance costs which hamper any player with a big contract, there are only so many extras clubs can fit into their rosters. I'm pretty sure none of them are looking to replace their whole squads.

If for example Crosby stays in the sidelines for the whole season and has nothing but beer hockey to keep him in shape, he may not be so eager to jump out of the cold into a highly competitive tournament.

DyerMaker66*

That's a nice line up, but we need to go with the young guys...The guys in BOLD need to give way for the younger guys...
Replace Iginla by Evander Kane or Logan Couture or brother Staal
Line combos aside, Iggy and Spezza should be dropped, imo. Add Seguin, Bergeron, Benn, or one of the players you mentioned.

and
Boyle by Myers or Subban or
Jay Bouwmeester or Dion Phaneuf or Dan Girardi or Kevin Bieksa
M. Staal?

Also
Make Price Number 1 (plays on a crappy Montreal team getting LOTS of ice time and seeing lots of rubber)

Agreed.

JackSlater

Apr 27, 2010
There will be loads of great forwards to choose from if the lockout extends for the full year, but the defencemen seem reluctant to play in Europe. Hopefully the season actually starts so that we don't have to see what happens.

therealdeal

Apr 22, 2005
Plus the team Canada had in 2005 finished 4th and I remember some people said on paper it was one of their better teams based on the players they had, even though they won Gold in 2003 and 2004.

Still if the lockout goes a lot longer then expected and the season is cancelled this time there is no excuse for someone like Sidney Crosby not wanting to play, because he is 100% healthy from his concussion and can't say how he played in the Playoffs with Pittsburgh. Plus if he did play and Canada won Gold he when then join the Triple Gold club.

They didn't finish 4th, they finished 2nd to the Czechs, and I believe were unbeaten to that point in the tourney.

SBraun

Mar 10, 2012
Maryland
If there's a full season lockout, one also has to take into consideration that not every NHLer will find a substitute team to play in. Besides the insurance costs which hamper any player with a big contract, there are only so many extras clubs can fit into their rosters. I'm pretty sure none of them are looking to replace their whole squads.

If for example Crosby stays in the sidelines for the whole season and has nothing but beer hockey to keep him in shape, he may not be so eager to jump out of the cold into a highly competitive tournament.

These are very good points which other posters are ignoring. Most of the European teams' North American player quotas have already been filled, and those few places still available will likely (because of the expense of insurance) be filled with relatively inexpensive NHL players that neither Canada nor the U.S. would want to consider for international play. So where will the best North American players get the playing time to prepare for the WC?

How effective would North American players, most of whom wouldn't have played a real game in a year, be against European teams made up of NHL players who have played into game shape AND become comfortable on the big ice?

JackSlater

Apr 27, 2010
These are very good points which other posters are ignoring. Most of the European teams' North American player quotas have already been filled, and those few places still available will likely (because of the expense of insurance) be filled with relatively inexpensive NHL players that neither Canada nor the U.S. would want to consider for international play. So where will the best North American players get the playing time to prepare for the WC?

How effective would North American players, most of whom wouldn't have played a real game in a year, be against European teams made up of NHL players who have played into game shape AND become comfortable on the big ice?

Yep, it's a potentially interesting situation. If for instance Crosby does not play competitive hockey at all, does HC leave him home instead of guys like Spezza/Thornton who are playing in Europe but may be longshots for the Olympics?

therealdeal

Apr 22, 2005
I think Hockey Canada should learn from its last lockout that you're better off taking guys who have been playing. Lots of guys from the last one joined after taking a season off, and you could tell.

Do we have any good goalies playing a full season right now?

JayKing

Go Habs Go
Dec 30, 2011
Montreal
Iginla - Crosby - Nash
Stamkos - Giroux - St Louis
Tavares- Getzlaf - Perry
Toews - Thorton - Eberle
E. Staal

Weber - Doughty
Keith - Seabrook
Pietrangelo - Letang
Subban or Staal

Luongo
Price
Ward

Last edited:

JackSlater

Apr 27, 2010
I think Hockey Canada should learn from its last lockout that you're better off taking guys who have been playing. Lots of guys from the last one joined after taking a season off, and you could tell.

I think the best is probably Holtby in the AHL... pretty sad.

MyNameIsNobody*

Iginla - Crosby - Nash
Stamkos - Giroux - St Louis
Tavares- Getzlaf - Perry
Toews - Thorton - Eberle
E. Staal

Weber - Doughty
Keith - Seabrook
Pietrangelo - Letang
Subban or Staal

Luongo
Price
Ward

Overall not bad...BUT why do you guys still keep throwing in names like Iginla , St Louis and Thornton enough with these late 30's guys...Time to pass the torch to the young...

Look At Seguin...Hall, Spezza...Jordan Staal...Evander Kane, maybe even a Ryan O'Reilly, Ladd, RNH, Benn, Neal

JackSlater

Apr 27, 2010
A team of players who are playing competitive hockey as of right now:

Tavares Bergeron Seguin
Nash Giroux Briere
Hall Nugent-Hopkins Eberle
Kane Spezza Benn
Couture

Myers Del Zotto
Robidas Russell
Demers Schultz
Dallman

Holtby

Just a beautiful team defensively. I'd say 4-5 goals per game, going both ways.

therealdeal

Apr 22, 2005

Tavares Bergeron Seguin
Nash Giroux Briere
Kane Spezza Benn
Couture

Myers Del Zotto
Robidas Russell
Demers Schultz
Dallman

Holtby

:laugh:

The forward group is great, but as you said it would be nice to have a better defensive group.

JayKing

Go Habs Go
Dec 30, 2011
Montreal
Overall not bad...BUT why do you guys still keep throwing in names like Iginla , St Louis and Thornton enough with these late 30's guys...Time to pass the torch to the young...

Look At Seguin...Hall, Spezza...Jordan Staal...Evander Kane, maybe even a Ryan O'Reilly, Ladd, RNH, Benn, Neal

I know but at the same time, this time, it's possibly their last on international ice. 2014-15-16 will be for the next generation

Kshahdoo

Mar 23, 2008
Moscow, Russia

I bet there will be more places in the KHL if NHL cancels the season.

LeafsNation75

Jan 15, 2010
Toronto, Ontario

Tavares Bergeron Seguin
Nash Giroux Briere
Kane Spezza Benn
Couture

Myers Del Zotto
Robidas Russell
Demers Schultz
Dallman

Holtby

The problem with Hall, Nugent-Hopkins, Eberle and Holtby is they are playing in the AHL. So if their respective teams make a long Playoff run for the Calder Cup they won't be available for Canada.

saskriders

Can't Hold Leads
Sep 11, 2010
Calgary
Well, it is looking more and more like there is going to be a lock out. Sadly almost all of the best Canadians will be "injured"

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad