WC: Canada's 2013 Roster if there is no season because of the lockout

Status
Not open for further replies.

LeafsNation75

Jan 15, 2010
Toronto, Ontario
I know it's way to early to guess and hopefully this won't come true but if the NHL lockout cancels the whole season like it did in 2004-2005, what could Canada's roster for the 2013 World Hockey Championships look like since all the big name players like Sidney Crosby, Rick Nash, Jonathan Toews could be available and I'm sure Hockey Canada would ask them to play.

1Gold Standard

Jun 13, 2012
I know it's way to early to guess and hopefully this won't come true but if the NHL lockout cancels the whole season like it did in 2004-2005, what could Canada's roster for the 2013 World Hockey Championships look like since all the big name players like Sidney Crosby, Rick Nash, Jonathan Toews could be available and I'm sure Hockey Canada would ask them to play.

Interesting Q. but if you look at Canada's WHC roster in the last lock out year. It wasn't Canada's A team. I hope this isn't a long lockout, but if it wipes out the season, then I hope Canada sends the Olympic team to the WHC.

QnebO

Wheel, snipe, celly
Feb 11, 2010
If the lockout comes, its going to be awesome world championships. They should give olympic gold for 2013 WC winner then! :P

LeafsNation75

Jan 15, 2010
Toronto, Ontario
Interesting Q. but if you look at Canada's WHC roster in the last lock out year. It wasn't Canada's A team. I hope this isn't a long lockout, but if it wipes out the season, then I hope Canada sends the Olympic team to the WHC.
Plus the team Canada had in 2005 finished 4th and I remember some people said on paper it was one of their better teams based on the players they had, even though they won Gold in 2003 and 2004.

Still if the lockout goes a lot longer then expected and the season is cancelled this time there is no excuse for someone like Sidney Crosby not wanting to play, because he is 100% healthy from his concussion and can't say how he played in the Playoffs with Pittsburgh. Plus if he did play and Canada won Gold he when then join the Triple Gold club.

1Gold Standard

Jun 13, 2012
Plus the team Canada had in 2005 finished 4th and I remember some people said on paper it was one of their better teams based on the players they had, even though they won Gold in 2003 and 2004.

Still if the lockout goes a lot longer then expected and the season is cancelled this time there is no excuse for someone like Sidney Crosby not wanting to play, because he is 100% healthy from his concussion and can't say how he played in the Playoffs with Pittsburgh. Plus if he did play and Canada won Gold he when then join the Triple Gold club.

I don't remember the 2005 WHC. But in looking at the team roster just a few months ago, it didn't appear to me to be of Olympic quality. There were some good names there, but not all the names you'd expect with everybody available.

Xokkeu

Apr 5, 2012
Frozen
The rosters for Canada and the US were a lot better in 2005 than usual, but there were still plenty of notable absences. Of course, then again one could argue that based on the 2006 Olympic results for both teams maybe they just weren't that good.

Goalies

2005 (2006 if different)

Brodeur
Luongo
Turco

Defense

Hannan (Bouwmeester)
Jovanovski (Blake)
Redden
Regehr

Boyle (McCabe)
Phillips (Pronger)
Souray (Foote)
Jamie Heward (NA)

Forwards

Doan
Gagne

Maltby (Bertuzzi)
Marleau (Sakic)
Smyth
Scott Walker (Iginla)
Thornton
Nash
Draper

Morrow (Lecavalier)
Fischer (Brad Richards)
Heatley
Morrison (St. Louis)

Six forward changes and five defensive changes which is nearly half the roster.

Last edited:

LeafsNation75

Jan 15, 2010
Toronto, Ontario
I don't remember the 2005 WHC. But in looking at the team roster just a few months ago, it didn't appear to me to be of Olympic quality. There were some good names there, but not all the names you'd expect with everybody available.
Among the big name Canadian players who didn't play the 2012 WHC I remeber Crosby didn't go because the Penguins just got eliminated in the 1st and was coming off his concusion and Rick Nash didn't want to play for fear of getting hurt before he got traded from Columbus. Can't think of anyone else who didn't accept that is well known and was available.

1Gold Standard

Jun 13, 2012
Among the big name Canadian players who didn't play the 2012 WHC I remeber Crosby didn't go because the Penguins just got eliminated in the 1st and was coming off his concusion and Rick Nash didn't want to play for fear of getting hurt before he got traded from Columbus. Can't think of anyone else who didn't accept that is well known and was available.

Stamkos could have played, claimed his shoulder was hurt. (lame excuse)
Price could have played (claimed he got dinged in practice) lame excuse.
Subban agreed but then backed out because he bruised his knee. lame excuse

Towes could have played. he didn't
Staal could have played he didn't.

Spezza wanted to play Hockey Canada declined his request.

James Neal could have played. He didn't.
Kris Letang could have played. He didn't.
Giroux could have played... he would have been a late addition, but he could have made it for the final 4 games.

and the list can go on for a while.

King Forsberg

16 21 28 44 68 88 93
Jul 26, 2010
Giroux could have played... he would have been a late addition, but he could have made it for the final 4 games.

Giroux had legitimate injuries to both wrists.

1Gold Standard

Jun 13, 2012
Giroux had legitimate injuries to both wrists.

Ya you're right. I forgot about that.

It was Stamkos and his excuse that really ticked me off. Sore shoulder! Good enough to go balls out until the final game of the year to hit 60 goals, but then come up lame. That really bugged the hell out of me.

JayKing

Go Habs Go
Dec 30, 2011
Montreal
Stamkos could have played, claimed his shoulder was hurt. (lame excuse)
Price could have played (claimed he got dinged in practice) lame excuse.
Subban agreed but then backed out because he bruised his knee. lame excuse

Towes could have played. he didn't
Staal could have played he didn't.

Spezza wanted to play Hockey Canada declined his request.

James Neal could have played. He didn't.

Price had a concussion.
Subban got hit from behind in a preliminary game iirc and got a back injury and the Habs decided to recall him for safety purposes (He is our #1 D after all)

JackSlater

Apr 27, 2010
Ya you're right. I forgot about that.

It was Stamkos and his excuse that really ticked me off. Sore shoulder! Good enough to go balls out until the final game of the year to hit 60 goals, but then come up lame. That really bugged the hell out of me.

For better or worse, it seems that Canadian players mostly treat this tournament as a tryout for the Olympics. Stamkos knows he already has a prominent position locked up for 2014.

Price had a concussion.
Subban got hit from behind in a preliminary game iirc and got a back injury and the Habs decided to recall him for safety purposes (He is our #1 D after all)

I'm not saying that Price and Subban weren't too injured to play, but those are the kind of players who should take any WC opportunity afforded to them.

1Gold Standard

Jun 13, 2012
Price had a concussion.

I dispute that claim. It was something which magically happened in practice which even some of the players could not recall...
Again, you can accept his reasons.. by all means.. I'm skeptical however. I think Price just couldn't be bothered and he knew from the year before when he declined an invite for no reason, last year he had to come up with a valid excuse... oh concussion works.

JayKing

Go Habs Go
Dec 30, 2011
Montreal
I'm not saying that Price and Subban weren't too injured to play, but those are the kind of players who should take any WC opportunity afforded to them.

Totally agree with you, but if they're hurt, they should take their time to heal and train, because the NHL season is long and grinds you out. It's lame to not see them play, especially as a Habs fan and a Canadian, because I want both to make our olynpic roster, but right now Subban will have some big competition ahead.

espo*

It wasn't olympic quality that year.

Better team then they could or would normally bring but it wasn't our top team, many top guys didn't play . This tournament just isn't that important to many Canadian and American players and it will be the same this year should the lockout continue.

LeafsNation75

Jan 15, 2010
Toronto, Ontario
It wasn't olympic quality that year.

Better team then they could or would normally bring but it wasn't our top team, many top guys didn't play . This tournament just isn't that important to many Canadian and American players and it will be the same this year should the lockout continue.
Let's say the NHL season is cancelled and players like Crosby, Stamkos, Nash, Toews don't play in Europe and are available to play for Canada. What possible reasons could they say no compared to other years?

1Gold Standard

Jun 13, 2012
Let's say the NHL season is cancelled and players like Crosby, Stamkos, Nash, Toews don't play in Europe and are available to play for Canada. What possible reasons could they say no compared to other years?

Even if they do play in Europe, they'll all be available for the WHC. European leagues tailor their season around international tournaments, all league Championships are concluded by the time the WHC begin. The World Hockey Championship is the conclusion of the Hockey Season in Europe.

espo*

They don't have a good reason in this scenario, however, they will use the same excuse that they usually use(the real excuse not the official one).................they couldn't care less about playing in it.

That is the reality about players from here and the WHC .Just because hockey fans and players in Europe care about doesn't mean that they do.

1Gold Standard

Jun 13, 2012
They don't have a good reason in this scenario, however, they will use the same excuse that they usually use(the real excuse not the official one).................they couldn't care less about playing in it.

That is the reality about players from here and the WHC .Just because hockey fans and players in Europe care about doesn't mean that they do.

Maybe its time to start paying these players for participation at the WHC. Other countries pay their players for playing at the WHC.

espo*

It couldn't hurt, the interest from our players just isn't there after a long NHL season, hell, even the Swede players are starting to tune out and decline in droves these days.

Maybe its time to start paying these players for participation at the WHC. Other countries pay their players for playing at the WHC.

UsernameWasTaken

Let's Go Hawks!
Feb 11, 2012
Toronto
Forget about the lockout. I really hope that players who are potentially on the Olympic team and whose teams don't make the playoffs decide to show up for the WCs this year. Yes, I understand that there are players who need to "get healthy" ... but i think we can all assume that in the "health group" there are players who are too concerned about their health to show up for WC that would suddenly get healthy if it were an olympic bearth on the line.

If someone, like Sid, were concussed and need to avoid tournaments...fine - but I think Hockey Canada needs to tell non-playoff players that if they want to go to the Olympics they should plan on showing up for WC.

Or maybe it's time to tell these players that you don't just get to be interested in Hockey Canada when the Olympics roll around - unless you're in the NHL playoffs or unless you're seriously injured - don't bail on IIHF WC (where we've failed to win gold since 2007)...representing Canada internationally isn't only important when you think you've got an Olympic medal in it :facepalm:

y2kcanucks

Le Sex God
Aug 3, 2006
Surrey, BC
If there's a lockout that whipes out the full season, this is the WHC roster I would like to see:

Perry-Crosby-Iginla
Tavares-Stamkos-Giroux
Nash-Toews-Staal
Hall-RNH-Eberle
Spezza

Doughty-Weber
Letang-Pietrangelo
Keith-Seabrook
Boyle

Luongo
Price
Holtby