Canada's 2006 WJHC list is out!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Burke's Evil Spirit

Oct 29, 2002
San Francisco
No Mark Fistric?

Wow. Just wow. I'm not going to second-guess Brent Sutter, but I have been watching him play all season, and he seems to me the ideal Sutter tough WHL defenseman.

Also, Bourdon and Letang shouldn't be on the top pairing, as Bourdon at the moment is pretty far ahead of Letang. I'd pair Bourdon with a stay-at-home guy who can compensate for his scrambliness.

Mowzie

Sep 17, 2003
Andrew_11 said:
Looking at the size of the Canadian forwards in the selection camp... they seem to me as very small in comparison to previous years or is it just me :dunno:

To make matters even worse, it seems like they are making players bigger than they are. There is no way Cogliano is 6'2, he's probably closer to 5'9-5'10.

espo*

In the TSN list they have Cogliano at 6'2 in height.I thought he was a lot shorter then that?

espo*

The Nemesis said:
TSN now has a picture of several players on teh front page. I forgot how hideous that new jersey looks...
My first thought when opening up the link was................"uugh,they are STILL going to be dummies and subject us to those uniforms"

They don't seem to have a clue here.................................you'd think they'd know better. I must get that letter off to Bob Nicholson now.I had given him the benefit of the doubt that'd he'd turf those ridiculous things.How are we supposed to win games in that?

Hadoop

Aug 13, 2002
Mississauga
No Wolski or McGrath? What a joke, although come to think of it they don't fit the 'Sutter mold' so they wouldn't have made the team anyways, so why waste their time?

Lessy

Jul 21, 2004
Sudbury
Cruiser008 said:
No Wolski or McGrath? What a joke, although come to think of it they don't fit the 'Sutter mold' so they wouldn't have made the team anyways, so why waste their time?

Wolski certainly shocked me as well but not so much McGrath. Both those players would have needed to play on the top 2 lines because neither would be properly suited to play a checking/grinding role IMO. And IMO I'd rather Bolland, Boyd, Cogliano, Pouliot, Latendresse, Little playing on the top 2 lines then McGrath although I would have liked to see Wolski there for sure.

espo*

Andrew_11 said:
The Michigan website has him listed at 5'10''.
I thought that was more like it,thanks.I was thinking when i saw it,if the guy has the skills they say he has and is 6'2........................how in the world did he not go top five in this past draft? But it's cleared up.....................he wishes he was 6'2 like tsn has him at.

canucksfan

Mar 16, 2002
British Columbia
Visit site
Walzy said:
do you really rate him that high ?
He's a good defenceman. He plays a Sutter style of play. He wouldn't put up offensive numbers but he would be a great pentally killer and a great leader. I wouldn't have been surprized if he didn't make team but I was surprized that he didn't even make the camp.

88Nords19

Apr 7, 2003
Alma
Visit site
hawksfan50 said:
I think that politically they will want at minimum 4 from the "Q"....
Esposito will need to make it as a starter at centre--I cannot see them just keeping him as a "floater" =13th guy for the "experience"...this is usually a 19 year old's tournament and Canada is actually very young this time out...

Given my assessment of the "politically correct" minimum---I see Burdon as a lock (if he is healthy) ,Letang as either 6th or 7th D-man,and Latendresse as a lock--meaning Brassard and Esposito battle it out for that last "Q" spot unless Ellis gets a goalie spot...IF Ellis gets a goalie spot --they may keep Esposito as a 13th for the experience but only if Brassard doesn't make it...remember he and Latendresse play together and have chemistry and Brassard is lighting quick--he may be slightly slower than Cogliano in straight line speed but he is more agile laterally and is a centre who has better vision and passing ability than Cogliano ...

Another factor is that they will want good PK guys=Bertram and Comeau ...there is flexibility in that Bolland can play all 3 forward positions...

Looking at everything from political considerations to age mix,specialy roles,checking line etc.. I see it this way:

Forwards:
Pouliot Brassard Latendresse
Bolland Toews Blunden
Setoguchi Chipchura Bertram
Comeau Little Boyd
13th =O'Marra

There is flexibility and depth ...only if Esposito demonstrates that at his young age he can start--he'd have to beat Brassard or Little out of a spot--is it worth the risk
to keep him on the team...

Defense:

Barker Russell
Burdon Parent
Staal Letang
* Stephenson =7th Dman--or he is the 6th and Letang is the 7th

Goal:

Price
Pogge (a hunch)...

Last year's team only had 2 players from the Quebec League (Crosby & Dixon), both east coast guys. Maybe you could count Bergeron but he was an NHLer. Sutter is not going to try to be politically correct...he'll choose the best team, period, regardless of where guys are from.

Greg7

Feb 5, 2004
Walzy said:
do you really rate him that high ?
Higher than Stephenson, Schultz and Rogers yes, but he's been disappointing this year to me. Maybe it's the new rules or something, but he doesn't seem to have much of a meanstreak anymore, and he isn't as much of a dominating physical force as he should be. I think he probably managed to play himself out of contention this season so far, as I think he was probably pencilled in before this year. That said, I dislike both Rogers and Schultz, and Stephenson has never really done it for me.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad