Canada's 2006 WJHC list is out!

Status
Not open for further replies.

BobbyClarkeFan16

Nov 29, 2005
Goderich, Ontario
Not a lot of draft eligible players either. I thought that with so many players gone from the last team, Sutter might also take a look at using more draft eligible players.

With that being said, it's a very good list. Everyone talks about the Americans being the team to beat, but I beg to differ, especially when you consider that they have a tendency to self implode and that as a group, there's a lot of conflict in that there are players there who don't like each other. That's going to be tough to overcome, no matter who the coach is.

Kitsune

Feb 20, 2003
Toronto ON CA
www.glidingeagle.com
Among the defenseman invited, Staal has the second highest point total by the looks of it. I think Staal is gonna be a lock unless he vastly screwes himself in the tryouts.....

And on Pouliot, I dont think he is a lock to make it. Hes been battling a groin injury the past weekend, and it could hamper him....

Spectacular_Bid

Mar 22, 2004
How about the monsters Canada has on defense! Of the 12 named to the camp 9 are 6'2" or bigger with three of them being 6'5" or bigger.

Bad News Benning

Fallin for Dahlin?
Jan 11, 2003
Victoria
Visit site
Spectacular_Bid said:
How about the monsters Canada has on defense! Of the 12 named to the camp 9 are 6'2" or bigger with three of them being 6'5" or bigger.

and the nice part is most of them can skate and are mobile, not many Hal Gills in the group.

Hossa

Feb 27, 2002
Abroad
Visit site
Personally, I'm amazed and dissapointed that Wolski wasn't even invited to the tryouts. Considering he was good enough to make the Colorado Avalanche, I'm confused as to why he's not even good enough to try-out for this team.

Macman

May 15, 2004
Sean Keogh said:
Personally, I'm amazed and dissapointed that Wolski wasn't even invited to the tryouts. Considering he was good enough to make the Colorado Avalanche, I'm confused as to why he's not even good enough to try-out for this team.

I don't understand it either. I thought he was the OHL's best forward against the Russians.

BobbyClarkeFan16

Nov 29, 2005
Goderich, Ontario
I'm gonna guess, but I'm thinking you'll see a team something like this:

Goal: Carey Price, Julien Ellis

Defense: Barker, Bourdon, Pokulok, Schultz, Staal, Russell

Forwards: Blunden, Bolland, Chipchura, 2Chucko, Cogliano, Downie, Latendresse, O'Marra, Setoguchi, Esposito, Pouliot, Pyatt, Toews

There's a good mix of toughness, checking ability and scoring ability. I'd think the team lines at forward might be something like this:

Pouliot/Bolland/Cogliano
Setoguchi/Toews/Chucko
Latendresse/Chipchura/Downie
Blunden/O'Marra/Pyatt
Esposito as the floater

The defense might look something like this:

Barker/Pokulok
Staal/Russell
Bourdon/Schultz

That's a pretty imposing group of forwards when you really look at it. Couple with a big, mobile defense and good goaltending and there's no reason to believe we can't be the favorites of the tournament again.

eddy

Jun 6, 2003
Visit site
canucksfan said:
Wow, I can't believe that Wolski or McGrath didn't make it. I had both of them penciled on my team.
True, I really think Wolski should be in there, Mcgrath also was but moreso Wolski, he was on an NHL club at the beggining of the season he should atleast get a try-out.

Greg7

Feb 5, 2004
I'm VERY surprised about Wolski, not very surprised about McGrath, and disappointed about McCardle. Does anyone know if his injury in the Russian game was serious, or was he just not invited? I was fully expecting him to be invited. Not pleased at all that Schultz is going, and a little surprised about them taking Stephenson over Fistric or Jackson. It seems like they might have a little more grit and role players than necessary to me, but if Sutter feels like that's what will give him the best chance to win, I can live with it. He's going to really hear about not even inviting Wolski to camp if this team struggles in the slightest to score though.

Spectacular_Bid

Mar 22, 2004
xander said:
true, but if you ask me, they took the wrong 6'5 cornell defensemen.

Correct me if I'm wrong but the only other defensemen that Cornell has listed at 6'5" is Ryan O'Byrne and he's an 84' birthdate.

xander

Nov 4, 2003
Section A Lynah Rink
Visit site
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad