Canada West announces shortened calendar

MeHateHe

Dec 24, 2006
I still think they're being optimistic, but...

MEN’S & WOMEN’S HOCKEY (9 teams)
Regular season:
20 games per team (two games vs. each team + additional games based on location)
TWU vs. UBC an additional four games
Alberta & MacEwan (Edmonton) + Calgary & Mount Royal (Calgary)
Two additional games between members in same city
One additional game between each member in other city
Saskatchewan, Regina, & Manitoba
Two additional games vs. each other

Canada West announces revised sport formats for 2020-21 season

Reactions: AUS Fan

AUS Fan

Aug 1, 2008
At the Rink
The 20 game season means that they can knock off 4 -6 weeks of the fall and start in November and get 6 or more games in. Everything is predicated on what the health people say, but it's good to have a plan and equally good to post it.

Reactions: JMCx4 and MeHateHe

MeHateHe

Dec 24, 2006
The 20 game season means that they can knock off 4 -6 weeks of the fall and start in November and get 6 or more games in. Everything is predicated on what the health people say, but it's good to have a plan and equally good to post it.
Indeed. Absent a vaccine, we are likely headed for a second wave that seems destined to hit in the fall, so here's hoping they're flexible. Universities out here are announcing that their classes will primarily take place online so there is some incongruity in planning to have athletes at/near campuses while other students are not.

MiamiHockey

Sep 12, 2012
I don't think we'll see any USports games / events / competitions before January 2021 ... and we'll be lucky to have them in 2021.

Canadian universities are preparing to move most courses online, meaning that campuses will be (effectively) shuttered, and Provincial governments are demanding (or implementing) substantial budget cuts. I honestly don't see any university President in Canada allowing varsity sports to compete while not allowing students on campus.

USports will be the LAST thing to reopen in Canadian universities.

AUS Fan

Aug 1, 2008
At the Rink
I would suspect that most athletes are in the "larger class" group, which would preclude them from being on campus. If you're not on campus, do you travel to the campus to practice? I suspect the answer to that is no.

Hollywood3

Bison/Jet/Moose Fan
May 12, 2007
I would suspect that most athletes are in the "larger class" group, which would preclude them from being on campus. If you're not on campus, do you travel to the campus to practice? I suspect the answer to that is no.
You could be on campus and using a computer for on-line courses. Then go to practice at 4:00.

MiamiHockey

Sep 12, 2012

Probably not true unless all athletes are first years. Class sizes generally get smaller as years go up. Students in small seminars and labs will be allowed on campus.

That said, I don't think that being on campus is a factor at all. The real issue is that all Canadian universities will face smaller budgets next year ... and they're not going to cut faculty to save the sports programs.

Offering courses online will save some money (facilities cleaning / maintenance) but most of the budget cuts will come from "discretionary" spending ... travel and athletics will be the first things cut.

AUS Fan

Aug 1, 2008
At the Rink
So, regardless of the reasons why, there is a good chance that there won't be University sports next year. Which raises the question of coaches salaries. I can't speak for the rest of the country, but I don't think there are too many coaches in the AUS who also teach.

I'm sure that some UNB guy will say " our Varsity Macrame coach also teaches Political Science".

But, overall I don't think there are many. What becomes of them with no team to coach?

Hollywood3

Bison/Jet/Moose Fan
May 12, 2007
So, regardless of the reasons why, there is a good chance that there won't be University sports next year. Which raises the question of coaches salaries. I can't speak for the rest of the country, but I don't think there are too many coaches in the AUS who also teach.

I'm sure that some UNB guy will say " our Varsity Macrame coach also teaches Political Science".

But, overall I don't think there are many. What becomes of them with no team to coach?

A coach who is non-faculty will likely have an individual contract. If the university has an "out" clause, they will likely exercise it. This happened recently with a lot of WWE wrestlers and staff.

MeHateHe

Dec 24, 2006
Updates coming tomorrow, but Global Vancouver reporter saying that USports is canceling everything before New Years.

MeHateHe

Dec 24, 2006
Updates coming tomorrow, but Global Vancouver reporter saying that USports is canceling everything before New Years.

Hockey and basketball still have a hope to be saved, but lots still depends on PHOs’ decisions.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad