GDT: Canada Vs USA pre tournament GDT 12noon ET

jj cale

Jan 5, 2016
Nova Scotia
My wild guess ... he'll be Quinn Hughes light, running PP1 creatively, and on the 2nd pairing with a good skating defender to handle the 2-on-1 rushes against that his play will inevitably generate.

You guys would be more than happy with that from a late 2nd-rounder I'll wager. He'll be a huge fan favorite at Centre Bell.
I think we stole a great prospect at that spot:thumbu:

Reactions: Deep Blue Metallic

Pavel Buchnevich

Drury and Laviolette Must Go
Dec 8, 2013
New York
I really dislike the "heavy favorite" hype the USA team is getting. Hopefully today's game dispelled any notion of that.

Canada should *always* be considered no less than co-favorite in this tournament, even when missing Bedard, Fantilli, Benson, etc. A Canadian "B team" would probably medal most years.
Don't forget Sweden. Playing on home ice with a stronger team than usual.

Obvious Fabertism

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Apr 1, 2009
MN
I really dislike the "heavy favorite" hype the USA team is getting. Hopefully today's game dispelled any notion of that.

Canada should *always* be considered no less than co-favorite in this tournament, even when missing Bedard, Fantilli, Benson, etc. A Canadian "B team" would probably medal most years.
I'm not sure where you are seeing a narrative that's any different, but either way I think that's not an opinion you would find in the US locker room. There is never a team that is going to be a "heavy favorite" in this tournament. The top teams are all highly competitive with difference makers throughout the roster and its single elimination. I think its unlikely that the US players are ever taking a Canada game lightly.

Deep Blue Metallic

Bo knows hockey.
Mar 5, 2021
I'm not sure where you are seeing a narrative that's any different, but either way I think that's not an opinion you would find in the US locker room. There is never a team that is going to be a "heavy favorite" in this tournament. The top teams are all highly competitive with difference makers throughout the roster and its single elimination. I think its unlikely that the US players are ever taking a Canada game lightly.
That's all I care about.

ORRFForever

Oct 29, 2018
Canada should be confident they can compete with anyone in this tourney, despite all their missing eligible players.
Thanks for this post <-- being sincere.

Now you just need to convince Canadians <-- we're our harshest critics by far.

Last edited:

Heldig

Apr 12, 2002
BC
I think we stole a great prospect at that spot:thumbu:
Agree. I wanted the Coyotes to grab him with one of their hundred or so second round picks. Of course, I also wanted Casey. Hopefully Lutz has a showing for Germany but Duda has lost a year of hockey unfortunately. Would happily have Hutson over either.

Reactions: jj cale

goforit

Apr 14, 2010
Montreal
I just have to tip my hat to Hutson, not only for the lovely finish into the roof, but for the defensive creativity. How many defensemen would drop their stick flat onto the ice to defend 1-on-1 at the offensive blue line in OT? He got a bit lucky to come away with the puck, but a big wow on that play for me.
This. 99 times out of 100, that would have been a successful play from Beck. That was a elite quick reaction from Hutson.

canuck2010

Dec 21, 2010
Canadians love to pretend they’re the underdog. That way if they lose, it was expected, but if they win, it was a gutsy performance.
Perhaps but you would have to say that the USA is a pre tourney favourite this year. Canada was missing Bedard, Fantilli, Wright, Benson and Korchinski to start with and now have also lost Luneau and Molendyk. At least 30% of a Team Canada roster wise. They would have to be considered an underdog now for sure.

That's what is going to make this team so much fun to watch. Play some hard nosed two way hockey, skate bang and compete. The players representing Canada are more than capable of winning this thing if they do that.

Reactions: wetcoast

ORRFForever

Oct 29, 2018
Canadians love to pretend they’re the underdog. That way if they lose, it was expected, but if they win, it was a gutsy performance.
We're not pretending. Canadians ALWAYS feel lousy about our teams. It's just the way we are. I wish it wasn't true.

Remember Esposito being boo'd in 1972? We eat our own up here.

I mean if he just uses the boards or flips it in the air then it doesn’t matter how elite Hutson is lol he made a mistake it’s okay to just say it. It’s not the end of the world.
Better now than the next time they meet.

Deep Blue Metallic

Bo knows hockey.
Mar 5, 2021
Perhaps but you would have to say that the USA is a pre tourney favourite this year. Canada was missing Bedard, Fantilli, Wright, Benson and Korchinski to start with and now have also lost Luneau and Molendyk. At least 30% of a Team Canada roster wise. They would have to be considered an underdog now for sure.

That's what is going to make this team so much fun to watch. Play some hard nosed two way hockey, skate bang and compete. The players representing Canada are more than capable of winning this thing if they do that.
But, but, but ... Cooley. And McGroarty (for today only, probably).

Put it this way. I'm looking forward to USA having depth similar to Canada where we lose a few eligibles every year to the NHL and can still be a legit threat for Gold.

Don't think we're that far off actually.

MM917

Aug 18, 2022
Always embarrassing for Canada to lose even in a pre-tournament game, especially to garbage like the US.

Hopefully they get it out of their system now and bring it in the real tournament.

LOL

This is such BS.

The reality is the US love to pretend they don't care that way when they lose they just blame it on them not caring, No need to talk about when they win since it happens so rarely hard to know what happens then,

Reactions: End on a Hinote

End on a Hinote

Registered Abuser
Aug 22, 2011
Northern British Columbia
Except that's literally how the US looks at itself. Every time they win a tournament their media always dubs it "The Next Miracle on Ice". And when they lose, the act like the tournament doesn't exist and that nobody cares about a bunch of teenagers, anyway.

Last edited:

TheBeastCoast

Mar 23, 2011
Dartmouth,NS
Except that's literally how the US looks at itself. Every time they win a tournament their media always dubs it "The Next Miracle on Ice".
It is kind of hilarious. They are simultaneously taking over Canadas place at the top of the game but also always the under dog at all times lol they also never actually cared if they lose

josra33

Aug 11, 2008
Always embarrassing for Canada to lose even in a pre-tournament game, especially to garbage like the US.

Hopefully they get it out of their system now and bring it in the real tournament.

LOL

This is such BS.

The reality is the US love to pretend they don't care that way when they lose they just blame it on them not caring, No need to talk about when they win since it happens so rarely hard to know what happens then,
Don’t do drugs kids…

WhiskeyYerTheDevils

yer leadin me astray
Sponsor
Apr 27, 2005

LOL

This is such BS.

Cope.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad