Canada VS USA full strength WJC

Status
Not open for further replies.

Joe Hallenback

Mar 4, 2005
I like Canada only because I think the D is far superior. I also like the 3 big Centers they can put out with Dach/Cozens/Byfield. That is tough to match up against. Jack Hughes though would be a big difference maker. People discount him but going from the pro game to this tourney he would be tough to play against

Gopher13

Apr 28, 2020
Leaman is the perfect coach for this tournament. He demands a tough, blue collar effort out of his players and basically overachieves every season with the talent he has at Providence. USA had the talent last year but played too soft and perimeter hockey....Leaman won’t allow that or you will be on the bench next to him.

awegrzyn

Jun 17, 2014
US would win even more. There were too many stars on this Canadian team, not enough players. Very overrated team after they beat Germany and Austria. Stars rarely win anything, and they have always hard time coming back from behind. They are psychologically not used to it, since everything is easy for them.

Comparing rosters in an tournament does not give full picture. It's a team sport. Besides you don't need top offensive talent to shot down the other team. 3rd period was all that. It's not like Canada was better, US simply changed the plan to defend and push them to the outside.

IHaveNoCreativity

May 5, 2012
Somewhere in Quebec.
Reality is that USA showed up, we didn’t.

we know who was better, we saw it in the 3rd. There’s no excuse, doesn’t matter who Canada had or didn’t have. USA’s best team wasn’t better than the team Canada brought to the tourney. Did they f***ing care ? No, they showed up and that’s why they won. Major let down

John Eichel da GOAT

Oct 7, 2008
USA-Team-vs-Canada-Individuals.png

The difference in one picture. You can add anyone you want. Doesnt change coaching and character.

Reactions: Zero Pucks Given

PWiz30

I love to hockey!
Jan 3, 2013

we know who was better, we saw it in the 3rd. There’s no excuse, doesn’t matter who Canada had or didn’t have. USA’s best team wasn’t better than the team Canada brought to the tourney. Did they f***ing care ? No, they showed up and that’s why they won. Major let down

Seems like every time USA wins gold, Canada always has the better team. What are the odds? :huh:

Reactions: 2Pair

valet

obviously adhd
Sponsor
Jan 26, 2017
buffalo

how does playing better in 1 period when you're down 2 goals make you a better team? honest question

PWiz30

I love to hockey!
Jan 3, 2013
Why can't we produce any goalies? The drought has been forever.

Ever hear of Carter Hart or MacKenzie Blackwood? The mental challenges goalies face are on a different level and it can take them a while to figure that part of the game out. Blackwood had a meltdown at the WJC iirc, but he's right up there with Hart as one of the most promising young goalies in the NHL.

Leaman is the perfect coach for this tournament. He demands a tough, blue collar effort out of his players and basically overachieves every season with the talent he has at Providence. USA had the talent last year but played too soft and perimeter hockey....Leaman won’t allow that or you will be on the bench next to him.

Seems pretty obvious to me that Leaman did an unbelievable job with this team based on the way they improved as the tournament progressed. Think back to the game against the Czechs when they were struggling early. The narrative could have easily been how the 01 birth year that looked so promising on draft day and against NCAA competition when they were U-18s never won anything in international competition. Then they turned it up a notch in the second period and got with each game after that. IMO that's evidence of great leadership within the room but also great coaching (two factors which generally go hand in hand).

joe dirte

Sep 28, 2017
Let’s all move along. Everyone benefits that way. Canada fans can regroup for next year and US fans can enjoy their victory.
fyi this was a necrobump, and was started months ago. This wasn't someone trying to gripe about not having a full team, this was someone speculating what the games would be like with full rosters.

Anything can happen in one game. The US team came out strong, got some goals. Canada took all the momentum in the second half, just couldn't get one by the goalie, it happens, not a big deal. they both played a great game.

Reactions: Finster8

Muffin

Avalanche Flavoured
Aug 14, 2009
Edmonton
USA-Team-vs-Canada-Individuals.png

The difference in one picture. You can add anyone you want. Doesnt change coaching and character.
Literally every winning and losing team stands like that. Not sure why you're trying to push this narrative so hard.

At the end of the day anything can happen in a one game takes all style tournament, that's why it's so difficult to repeat. You make the tournament into a best of 7 and Canada probably would've won gold for the past 10 years.

abo9

Jun 25, 2017
Can't we say both countries (+Finland) are VERY VERY VERY equal in terms of who's the best? In the last 10 years each have won 3 Gold medals. Canada has more Silver and US more Bronze.

I think Canada lost it's title of undisputed best around 2009, and as those 2005-2009 crops are getting older, I think the WJC parity will reflect at the adult level soon.

NyQuil

Big F$&*in Q
Jan 5, 2005
Ottawa, ON
Can't we say both countries (+Finland) are VERY VERY VERY equal in terms of who's the best? In the last 10 years each have won 3 Gold medals. Canada has more Silver and US more Bronze.

I think Canada lost it's title of undisputed best around 2009, and as those 2005-2009 crops are getting older, I think the WJC parity will reflect at the adult level soon.

It's pretty hard to assess adult hockey parity because the World Championships has the critical flaw of the random annual omission of many key players (which is affecting countries aside from Canada and the US more and more as the NHL becomes more international) and the Olympics tournament is so rare.

Reactions: abo9

Bear of Bad News

Your Third or Fourth Favorite HFBoards Admin
Sep 27, 2005
This appears to have been bumped with a spam post, and I'm not sure we need another shit-flinging contest.

Reactions: Summer Rose
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad