Canada vs Sweden semifinals World Cup 1996

SChan*

This is seriously my favorite hockey game ever. It had everything from great players on the ice to a dramatic win in Double OT. Look at the game winner in this video clip. Before Canada won, Sweden (forsberg and alfredsson) and multiple chances to reach the finals.

MadLuke

Jan 18, 2011
And yet some say that chance is not a factor in the game of hockey :sarcasm:

Buck Aki Berg

Done with this place
Sep 17, 2008
Ottawa, ON
Poor Johan Garpenlov.....

I still remember game six of the 1994 ECSF between the Sharks and Leafs when Garpenlov beat Felix Potvin in overtime, but hit the crossbar - followed by Sandis Ozolinsh crapping the bed on a a glorious 3-on-2 opportunity :laugh: - before Toronto scored to force a game 7 (which they would win as well). Two years later and his luck is no better.

Hybbe

Oct 6, 2009
Poor Johan Garpenlov.....

I still remember game six of the 1994 ECSF between the Sharks and Leafs when Garpenlov beat Felix Potvin in overtime, but hit the crossbar - followed by Sandis Ozolinsh crapping the bed on a a glorious 3-on-2 opportunity :laugh: - before Toronto scored to force a game 7 (which they would win as well). Two years later and his luck is no better.

He also lost the SCF against the avs the same year. Poor guy.

seekritdude

May 3, 2009
www.facebook.com
To add to the poor garpenlov vibe, didnt he have a botched surgery on his shoulder too? He tried to play through a year or 2 with it and then just had to retire early or something that I recall?

Big Phil

Nov 2, 2003
how did alfredsson miss the empty net?

I couldn't understand it then (about 1am when I watched that moment live) and still can't to this day. I think Joseph just ever so slightly gets his stick on it and deflects it. Plus there was disturbance from Foote and Niedermayer making it more of a split second attempt for him. But yeah you don't miss a yawning cage like that very often, very reminiscent of Mario missing the open net in the Olympic gold medal game in 2002, although Canada still won.

Does anyone remember when Sundin had the breakaway in the first overtime period and he was stymied by Joseph? That nearly gave me a heart attack. How in the world he was left alone like that is hard to believe.

In the second overtime there was a cough up right in front of the Swedish net and Yzerman and BrindAmour were both standing there point blank and they passed it back to each other. I screamed at the tv "one of you guys bury it!" Gretzky did a very sneaky play and banked a shot from behind the net off of a Swedish defenseman's skate and it nearly fooled Salo.

In the first overtime Gretzky led a promising rush and left a lovely drop pass to Blake right at the blueline and NO ONE was within a square mile of him. Blake though had gone to the bench for a change and the puck just lay there motionless for a few seconds. It showed Gretzky (with a wicked 5 o'clock shadow) giving Blake the business on the bench. You see Blake's reaction and he is looking up at the rafters shaking his head. I'll never forget Harry Neale's comment: "Blake knows now, but he also knew his legs were burning and had to get off." Still though, with the time he would have had and with his shot I could have seen that game end.

Either way a great game. Ron Wilson (American coach) says he was watching the game on TV and cheered when Fleury scored because they wanted to meet Canada. This game still shows you that Coffey could skate end to end at ease whenever he wanted to. Underrated game for sure.

tombombadil

Jan 20, 2010
West Kelowna, Canada
International hockey is my favorite hockey. Unfortunately, hockey simply is not designed to be properly decided on a one game basis. There is a luck/bounce/ref factor that cannot be denied. I really wish Internationals were best of 3 right from the quarters on....
Side note-
I'm biased, but damn, Foppa was something else!

The Kingslayer

Aug 26, 2004
Siem Reap, Cambodia
96 World Cup was the best of the best on best tourneys I have witnessed. 2002 olympics was good but every game I watched in that 96 World Cup was epic and I love the best of 3 thing alot better.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad