GDT: Canada vs Suomi @3pm PT/ 6pm ET/ 1am EEST

Mestaruus

Apr 11, 2011

Thank you for finding this. Based on that I've probably been proven right.

6:15 in third period is the time when Canada got the major. Rule says that first commercial break happens at the first moment when clock is counting downwards unless there's an icing after 14:00 hits in the period. So this is same as after 6:00 when counting upwards.

Okay so first commercial break should have happened latest when the major was given to Canada at 6:15. 6:00 is the timing after which they want to do a commercial break. Was the stoppage of play for the major after an icing? I don't remember so? If that's the case I've been proven right. Why didn't the commercial break happen at 6:15 when Canada got the major penalty? Instead they waited and squeezed in two commercial breaks inside the duration of the major penalty. Now based on this I now believe that the first commercial break was done wrong and the second commercial break was done right. That's some BS if true. Can anyone check if there was an icing involved?

The second commercial break was definitely right. Now prove me wrong when I say that the first commercial break was done against the rules? Was there an icing or not when the major was given to Canada? The same break when they sent the Canadian major guy to the penalty box, was the play stopped because of an icing? If not, I believe my point got proven.

Why didn't Canadian guy go to the penalty box at 6:15 into the third period? Instead they waited for the clock to run inside the 5 min major and put the commercial break there, it needed to happen before the penalty. The second commercial break was done right as I said in this post.

Link to game actions:

Last edited:

Statsy

Dec 21, 2009
Vancouver
What that said was that the IIHF break coordinator chooses the breaks. TSN doesn’t get to make the choice. The light signalling a break goes on, the penalty box doors open, the players go their benches, etc.

It all happens automatically on the ice and the broadcaster simply runs their commercial break when that process starts.

prongertheman9

May 30, 2010

6:15 in third period is the time when Canada got the major. Rule says that first commercial break happens at the first moment when clock is counting downwards unless there's an icing after 14:00 hits in the period. So this is same as after 6:00 when counting upwards.

Okay so first commercial break should have happened latest when the major was given to Canada at 6:15. 6:00 is the timing after which they want to do a commercial break. Was the stoppage of play for the major after an icing? I don't remember so? If that's the case I've been proven right. Why didn't the commercial break happen at 6:15 when Canada got the major penalty? Instead they waited and squeezed in two commercial breaks inside the duration of the major penalty. Now based on this I now believe that the first commercial break was done wrong and the second commercial break was done right. That's some BS if true. Can anyone check if there was an icing involved?

The second commercial break was definitely right. Now prove me wrong when I say that the first commercial break was done against the rules? Was there an icing or not when the major was given to Canada? The same break when they sent the Canadian major guy to the penalty box, was the play stopped because of an icing? If not, I believe my point got proven.

Why didn't Canadian guy go to the penalty box at 6:15 into the third period? Instead they waited for the clock to run inside the 5 min major and put the commercial break there, it needed to happen before the penalty. The second commercial break was done right as I said in this post.

Link to game actions:

Again, just a reminder to everyone that this guy definitely doesn’t care about this game though

Mestaruus

Apr 11, 2011
Again, just a reminder to everyone that this guy definitely doesn’t care about this game though

I care about the game actions. Things that happened inside the Canada-Finland game. Do you care about the game actions being fair for everyone? Imagine stuff like that would happen in a more important game some time against Canada when Canada wouldn't be the host or can that even happen if TSN always broadcasts these U20 tournaments outside Canada too. That's sort of not a good thing.

Last edited:

EpiPen

Jun 6, 2016

Link to game actions:

Thinks it's time for you to give the forum/hockey a break and go outside pal.

Reactions: Mestaruus

Mestaruus

Apr 11, 2011
Thinks it's time for you to give the forum/hockey a break and go outside pal.

Can't you let me have my moment? I've been bullied all night and when I get to prove that they were most likely wrong and shouldn't have trolled me. It was not great behavior by them and trust me, I'll stay the heck away from Canadian posters for a while. This was a pretty bad experience and not a good thing to see how many people behave here. Group ganging on one person, while that one person ends up being right. I would like to hear some apologies, but I don't expect to receive any. What ever. The ones that owe me one are muted anyways and my feeling is that they are not the apologetic type.

Nothing else to say in this thread unless it was indeed an icing when Canada's major penalty was given on that same stoppage of play.

Last edited:

Jersey Fan 12

Positive Vibes
Nov 20, 2006
This thread devolved quickly.

Three pages on commercial breaks and nothing about the actual game?

Thankfully the USA gets to play one of these two in the finals if they win their next two games.

ES

Feb 14, 2004
Finland
Canada was already shorthanded at the time the major was called. That's why there was no commercial break at that point.

jonlin

Nov 11, 2011
Theese last 3 pages been a headache to read, Its like 4 3yr olds arguing whoose mom has the biggest toes. Absolutely pointless shit.

• Haha
Reactions: Ippenator

OKR

Nov 18, 2015
Worse thread every year, two of the most clueless and biased fanbases crying after every possible little thing.

JackSlater

Apr 27, 2010

Link to game actions:

Wrong. The major penalty happened after 6:15 of game time had passed and the clock read 13:45. The first commercial break happens after the clock shows 14:00, which is the same as six minutes passing. However, Canada was serving a minor penalty at the time, and there are no commercial breaks during a minor penalty. The minor penalty ended at 12:44. The first commercial break would then be at whenever the next stoppage of play is after 12:44, other than for a goal, penalty shot, icing, or fight.

The next stoppage of play did not happen until the clock showed 10:21 and the puck went over the glass. There was a commercial break.

As 10:00 is the second point at which a commercial break is scheduled, as per IIHF rules the next commercial break would come at the next whistle (assuming it was more than 21 seconds later) other than for a goal, penalty shot, icing, or fight, as long as that whistle is 60 seconds or more later.

The next stoppage of play happened when the clock showed 9:21. There was a commercial break, as per the IIHF's rules.

You've been wrong all along, just as most people already knew. Of course it's very predictable what your new claim will be now that it has been firmly established that IIHF protocol was followed and it was not a conspiracy in which TSN ordered a commercial break on a whim.

Can't you let me have my moment? I've been bullied all night and when I get to prove that they were most likely wrong and shouldn't have trolled me. It was not great behavior by them and trust me, I'll stay the heck away from Canadian posters for a while. This was a pretty bad experience and not a good thing to see how many people behave here. Group ganging on one person, while that one person ends up being right. I would like to hear some apologies, but I don't expect to receive any. What ever. The ones that owe me one are muted anyways and my feeling is that they are not the apologetic type.

Nothing else to say in this thread unless it was indeed an icing when Canada's major penalty was given on that same stoppage of play.

You had several "moments", none of them good, because you cried about a crazy conspiracy. Your conspiracy theory has been proven wrong, despite the delusional ramblings that were used to support it. It's a weird game to get so invested in.

Last edited:

jonlin

Nov 11, 2011
Yep, wasn't really that crucial game. Weird system btw, that they are likely to meet in the semifinals already, why is that?
Rankings from the group-stage?

Canada 12p + best goal difference
USA 12p
Sweden 9p
Finland 8p

1-4 and 2-3

Reactions: llwyd

goonybird

Young boy expert
Jul 9, 2015
Summer hockey tournament with a bunch of missing players so we gotta find something to argue about.

Guttersniped

I like goalies who stop the puck
Sponsor
Dec 20, 2018
Commercial breaks come at the first whistle after 6, 10, and 14 minutes into a period except on icings and during minor penalties. The IIHF does them during major penalties and then NHL does not. It has nothing to do with either a conspiracy or home favoritism.

Maybe Canada is just smart and the coach reminded them a commercial break was coming on the next whistle so they tried to get a whistle twice and it worked :sarcasm:

Not even sure why it matters tbh. Best penalty killers would be more rested but it also results in the best PP players getting more PP ice time for Finland too. Or it should assuming your coach isn't a moron
Kudos to this poster for explaining all the commercial break rules in a sentence btw.

I looked them up, and got screen shots, because I couldn’t take the existential debate over the very existence of the rules after this post this wasn’t enough for some but good job. You tried lol.

TomppaKoo

Jan 27, 2021
Finland - Canada quarter-finals will be very entertaining both on the ice and in HFBoards.

:popcorn:

Reactions: llwyd

ZEBROA

Dec 21, 2017
I just hope Canada loose the next game. Dislike them more then Finland in hockey. But i will not watch the game if it aint against Sweden, and if it is against Sweden i have a Swiss roll sock to prepare, so i will probably miss that to, for the same reason as Edvinsson missed the Germany game.

No hate against Canada or Finland, just in hockey, could move there in a heartbeat(but a bit less drawn to Finland right now for obvious reasons).

Mestaruus

Apr 11, 2011
Theese last 3 pages been a headache to read, Its like 4 3yr olds arguing whoose mom has the biggest toes. Absolutely pointless shit.

Pointless? No. There's definitely a point. Imagine that stuff happening in favor of some team in a gold medal game. I like fairness. Some of the Canadians here (Canada4gold, Jackreacher and the 3rd guy with old man avatar) thought I wrote it because of some Finnish bias, but no that wasn't why I brought it up. For that reason they started insulting me and group bullying me. They might have had some bad experiences with other Finns before.

Sadly the result of that game didn't matter to me before or after the game. The game actions however did matter. I wish Canada and Finland had met in the opening day of the tournament to make the assumed top team meeting of the group to be bit more exciting, when it would feel there's something on the line. Finland-Czech ended up being that game instead.

The thread could've been 10 times worse if I didn't mute some people here and I hope they muted me too, because we just aren't meant to communicate ever again lol. The people who use the words brainless and stuff in their first reply and get unpunished by the mods usually means trouble, because very often people such as me will defend themselves. The thread could've used some moderators earlier, but they are still on their summer breaks I guess :). Everything is fine however without their interference.

Last edited:

JackSlater

Apr 27, 2010
Pointless? No. There's definitely a point. Imagine that stuff happening in favor of some team in a gold medal game. I like fairness. Some of the Canadians here (Canada4gold, Jackreacher and the 3rd guy with old man avatar) thought I wrote it because of some Finnish bias, but no that wasn't why I brought it up. For that reason they started insulting me and group bullying me. They might have had some bad experiences with other Finns before.

Sadly the result of that game didn't matter to me before or after the game. The game actions however did matter. I wish Canada and Finland had met in the opening day of the tournament to make the assumed top team meeting of the group to be bit more exciting, when it would feel there's something on the line. Finland-Czech ended up being that game instead.

The thread could've been 10 times worse if I didn't mute some people here and I hope they muted me too, because we just aren't meant to communicate ever again lol. The people who use the words brainless and stuff in their first reply and get unpunished by the mods usually means trouble, because very often people such as me will defend themselves. The thread could've used some moderators earlier, but they are still on their summer breaks I guess :). Everything is fine however without their interference.
It was very pointless that you required people to formally spell out the rules for you and then tell you the times of the commercials to demonstrably prove your foolish conspiracy theory wrong. Most people would presumably realize how ridiculous the theory was from the get go.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad