GDT: Canada vs Finland (U18)

IceHockeyDude

May 15, 2011
Suomi
So Finland has no best on best golds?

That's surprising considering how arrogant you are. I make one comment about how Finland is far from a favorite in this tournament (which is objectively true), and your insecurity triggers this sort of response?

I'm a big fan of Finnish hockey, they are a great hockey nation. Had a blast cheering them on in Helsinki for the 2016 WJC. But you need to understand that the men's WC hockey means very little in North America.

I think I'm done with you.
I'm done aswell. I'm not trying to be arrogant but you just dismiss all the poor success of USA's hockey team at WCs or Olympics.

But I'm happy for your home team's success in Carolina.

FinPanda

Team Finland 2022 WHC champions
Mar 13, 2014
Vaasa, Finland
So Finland has no best on best golds?

That's surprising considering how arrogant you are. I make one comment about how Finland is far from a favorite in this tournament (which is objectively true), and your insecurity triggers this sort of response?

I'm a big fan of Finnish hockey, they are a great hockey nation. Had a blast cheering them on in Helsinki for the 2016 WJC. But you need to understand that the men's WC hockey means very little in North America.

I think I'm done with you.
We don't have best-on-best golds no. Could argue we were the best team at the 2006 olympics but we lost in the final to Sweden so I guess that makes them the best. I still believe we were the best team there, just lost in the final.

USA has won a lot on U18 and U20 level, not so much on mens tournaments. Can't really say Finland is bad without noticing that USA has not accomplished much more during the last 40+ years. I believe it will change soon with all the upcoming US talent though.

WhiskeyYerTheDevils

yer leadin me astray
Sponsor
Apr 27, 2005
We don't have best-on-best golds no. Could argue we were the best team at the 2006 olympics but we lost in the final to Sweden so I guess that makes them the best. I still believe we were the best team there, just lost in the final.

USA has won a lot on U18 and U20 level, not so much on mens tournaments. Can't really say Finland is bad without noticing that USA has not accomplished much more during the last 40+ years. I believe it will change soon with all the upcoming US talent though.
I never said Finland was bad ...

Czechboy

Easy schedules rule!
Apr 15, 2018
Last us seniors gold anywhere was 1996.
Last us gold at Olympics was 1980. Not a best on best though.

US is a huge favorite to win gold here at this U18 tourney. That's not a guaranteed win but they are absolutely the favorites. Spectacular team.

Last legit best on best was 8 years ago so using 'you haven't won a best on best' is a bit unfair (makes more sense coming from a Canadian though. Not a nation that has only won a best on best once in the 90s).

Ftr. Finn's had the highest medal count in those best on best OG from 1998 to 2014 to my knowledge. Not gold's but overall medals. Canada had most gold's and back to back!

Eg. Czechs have won a best on best gold (and Hlinka) more recently then US or Finland. Does that make us better? f*** no! The issue is a lack of best on best.

U18 is also dominated by states because Canada does not send their best.

I am surprised the world hockey challenge hasn't been brought up!lol

AB13

Apr 29, 2019
Last us seniors gold anywhere was 1996.
Last us gold at Olympics was 1980. Not a best on best though.

US is a huge favorite to win gold here at this U18 tourney. That's not a guaranteed win but they are absolutely the favorites. Spectacular team.

Last legit best on best was 8 years ago so using 'you haven't won a best on best' is a bit unfair (makes more sense coming from a Canadian though. Not a nation that has only won a best on best once in the 90s).

Ftr. Finn's had the highest medal count in those best on best OG from 1998 to 2014 to my knowledge. Not gold's but overall medals. Canada had most gold's and back to back!

Eg. Czechs have won a best on best gold (and Hlinka) more recently then US or Finland. Does that make us better? f*** no! The issue is a lack of best on best.

U18 is also dominated by states because Canada does not send their best.

I am surprised the world hockey challenge hasn't been brought up!lol
Are Czechia better than the USA and Finland at hockey? Depends on your criteria. Historically the Czechs are a bigger and better hockey nation than both the Finns and Americans. Not in the last decade or so, but historically you are better than both, for sure.

Czechboy

Easy schedules rule!
Apr 15, 2018
Are Czechia better than the USA and Finland at hockey? Depends on your criteria. Historically the Czechs are a bigger and better hockey nation than both the Finns and Americans. Not in the last decade or so, but historically you are better than both, for sure.
Today it is not even close. 2005 to today.. it's not even close. The gap is huge.

1998 to 2005 was beautiful though.haha

FiLe

Mr. Know-It-Nothing
Oct 9, 2009
This whole conversation about who's better at what is really tiresome - not to mention intellectually dishonest, as everyone (and someone in particular) is obviously using whatever criteria best suit them at the moment. But to play the devil's advocate: one might say that Czechia, despite some sterling results at the turn of the millennium, never has been a better hockey country than Finland and USA... Czechoslovakia was. As that particular golden generation in the late 90s was really the final generation the system in the unified country produced.

And the same holds true for Slovakia - now they're considered a middle-tier country, but about two decades ago people were seriously debating whether there's a "Big Seven" instead of the "Big Six", as the Slovaks also had that bunch of great players grown before the amicable split.

Bottom line, the country that can claim to be "historically" better than Finland and USA doesn't exist anymore.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad