GDT: Canada v Germany (Gold Medal Game)

snipes

How cold? I’m ice cold.
Dec 28, 2015
Surprised there wasn’t a GDT up yet.

Will have to watch this one delayed on PVR after the first few minutes as we have family plans.

Should be a good game. The Germans have played quite well knocking out the Americans. Canada is clicking too playing very good hockey right now as well after dismantling the hometown Finns and closing out Latvia with a big 3rd period.

Gold medal Sunday baby let’s go!

snipes

How cold? I’m ice cold.
Dec 28, 2015
Fire up the BBQ. It's GMG Sunday. My traditional kick off to the summer BBQ season. Got some German beer to entertain guests...but mostly local brews.

Hope you’re keeping well my friend. Need to play the way we did in the 3rd against Latvia, just all over them on the forecheck and puck pressure.

Gold Canada Gold!!

Reactions: jj cale

jj cale

Jan 5, 2016
Nova Scotia
I'm looking forward to a great game today two very evenly matched teams.

You see Canada vs Germany and most casual fans will think.............Canada, big favourites.

But they are not this year, people who know what they are talking about understand the realities this year and that this is very much a 50-50 affair going in, it will be a very tight game that could go either way. Germany just took out two teams that were going gangbusters in the round robin, Canada has hit their stride after an embarrassing loss to Norway.

probably will come down to which goalie makes more big saves, key saves.

Let's have a game for the ages!!

McSomnii

why u no change oil
Nov 3, 2012
Little Houston, AB
Weirdly enough, I'd be happy to see Germany pull off another upset today and score themselves a gold medal.

Regardless of who wins, I'll be sitting back and enjoying the spectacle.

Reactions: Huusko

ZDH

Mar 6, 2008
Weirdly enough, I'd be happy to see Germany pull off another upset today and score themselves a gold medal.

Regardless of who wins, I'll be sitting back and enjoying the spectacle.
Agreed.

Mainly because

1. It's not the Olympics so it doesn't matter.

2. Germany has Seider.

Reactions: LucaBrasil

Mestaruus

Apr 11, 2011
I predicted Latvia's Sweden upset right and today's Latvia's OT win right, but my feeling now unfortunately is that Canada is too much for Germany. I hate to say that as I of course want Germany to win. It will be similar to Canada's other games. Canada scores the first goal in the first period and after that Canada can play more relaxed. So hopefully I'm wrong and Germany scores the first one. That would be the key.

pattigers

May 28, 2023
On paper Canada but when we are going to play our game we will be competitive enough to have a real chance. Preliminary reports gonna starts in 9min. Let's hope for a great and fair match.

Albatros

Aug 19, 2017
Ostsee
I'm looking forward to a great game today two very evenly matched teams.

You see Canada vs Germany and most casual fans will think.............Canada, big favourites.

But they are not this year, people who know what they are talking about understand the realities this year and that this is very much a 50-50 affair going in, it will be a very tight game that could go either way. Germany just took out two teams that were going gangbusters in the round robin, Canada has hit their stride after an embarrassing loss to Norway.

probably will come down to which goalie makes more big saves, key saves.

Let's have a game for the ages!!
Mm. Germany has 3 NHL players, Canada has the whole roster plus a top prospect for this year's draft. They absolutely are massive favorites.

pattigers

May 28, 2023
Mm. Germany has 3 NHL players, Canada has the whole roster plus a top prospect for this year's draft. They absolutely are massive favorites.

Would be a massive support if all the Canadians on ice are thinking the same ;).

jj cale

Jan 5, 2016
Nova Scotia
No. not at all

I know why fans will try to paint them as that, I am an old hand at this game and understand the psychology at work here but anyone in the know and being honest knows the real score going into this match.

It's 50-50.

Albatros

Aug 19, 2017
Ostsee
No. not at all

I know why fans will try to paint them as that, I am an old hand at this game and understand the psychology at work here but anyone in the know and being honest knows the real score going into this match.

It's 50-50.
No psychological factor undoes 6000 games of NHL experience.

Reactions: Angry Little Elf

End on a Hinote

Registered Abuser
Aug 22, 2011
Northern British Columbia
I know this tournament isn't very relevant in Canada, and as much as I want to see Canada win how can you not love the unpredictability and competitiveness of this tourney?

We nearly had a Germany/Latvia final, in what other tournament is that even close to being possible?

Last edited:

jj cale

Jan 5, 2016
Nova Scotia
No psychological factor undoes 6000 games of NHL experience.
It doesn't undo the knifes edge difference in talent level between European based players and a team filled with no stars and 3rd 4th liners from the NHL either playing against a hostile crowd and German team that is fired up beyond belief with a chance to do something they have never done before, and to do it against Mighty Canada to boot.

Any experienced hockey fan using their eyeballs should be able to see by watching both these teams previous games the minimal difference in ability between both these squads.

That's the real truth, you can call it something else................but that's the truth.

But I know why you are painting it the way you are, if Canada wins you get to say.." well they should have won, look at all those nhl'ers" if Germany wins you get to twist the knife in harder.

I get it.

Reactions: vlady

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad