GDT: Canada v Finland (Gold Medal Game)

Czechboy

Easy schedules rule!
Apr 15, 2018
Finland's has been the best hockey nation in Europe this decade, what has happened to Sweden??
Here is the last decade:

upload_2021-6-7_12-42-19.png

Looking at Sweden vs Finland... Swedes have 3 Golds, 1 silver and 2 bronze. Finns have 2 Golds and 3 silvers.

I'm not even arguing I'm just curious how you are getting that Finland has been better for a decade? Even the last 4 tournaments.. Swedes have 2 Golds to Finlands 1 gold and 1 silver.

I'd say they are both amazing. Please let me know what you are basing this on? World Jrs? Hlink? EHT?

tuozzi

Dec 9, 2011
Turku
Congrats, Canada! The better team won.

Didn't watch the game, though, but I'm sure that's what happened.

RorschachWJK

Dec 28, 2004
Congrats Canada. Wasn't expecting more from this team Finland than reaching quarters, as it was a mix of C and D teams. Couldn't watch the game due to work commitments.

This thread has some of the weakest trolls I've seen here in a long time.

Peiskos

Jan 4, 2018
Here is the last decade:

View attachment 444546

Looking at Sweden vs Finland... Swedes have 3 Golds, 1 silver and 2 bronze. Finns have 2 Golds and 3 silvers.

I'm not even arguing I'm just curious how you are getting that Finland has been better for a decade? Even the last 4 tournaments.. Swedes have 2 Golds to Finlands 1 gold and 1 silver.

I'd say they are both amazing. Please let me know what you are basing this on? World Jrs? Hlink? EHT?

Man that 2017 final is the one that got away, Canada was so close to becoming the first country to win 3 straight golds at this tournament since Czech Republic in 1999, 2000, 2001.

Canada almost did it in 2005 as well after winning the gold in 2003 & 2004.

koyvoo

Nov 8, 2014
Parties in the streets of Canada are epic. This will go on all week too.

Czechboy

Easy schedules rule!
Apr 15, 2018
Man that 2017 final is the one that got away, Canada was so close to becoming the first country to win 3 straight golds at this tournament since Czech Republic in 1999, 2000, 2001.

2005 is my fav.. unofficial best on best! I always hear about THAT Jr team but never about the Czechs and that glorious win.

2015 Canada is still my fav all time WHC team.. that was amazing how they legit steamrolled everyone.

Peiskos

Jan 4, 2018
2005 is my fav.. unofficial best on best! I always hear about THAT Jr team but never about the Czechs and that glorious win.

2015 Canada is still my fav all time WHC team.. that was amazing how they legit steamrolled everyone.

Yep it was a great Czech team in 05, that team had Jagr and Tomas Kaberle, two of my favourite Czech players of all time.

Reactions: Czechboy

Czechboy

Easy schedules rule!
Apr 15, 2018
Yep it was a great Czech team in 05, that team had Jagr and Tomas Kaberle, two of my favourite Czech players of all time.
It's frustrating because I think we send good teams to the World Championships but keep losing quarters.

Eg. I understand why we get killed in the quarters at U20 and U18. I understand when we don't make the semi's in a best on best tourney. However, I feel we send competitive teams to the World's and still lose.lol

Chimpradamus

Feb 16, 2006
Northern Sweden
Because all the teams were really subpar, with no audience, no atmosphere and... well... not up to normal standards. The "miracle on ice" team was a bunch of hard working college boys up against the Soviet Union on full power. It's not even close.

An upset? Maybe so. But so was this whole tournament. A rollercoaster of upsets.
When you get down to it, this is basically a random tournament since the teams are stitched together from essentially whoever is available and willing to play during the NHL playoffs. It's almost always been that way. It's still nice to win, but the name "World Championships" is sooooo misleading. The Canada Cups were actual world championships, the Olympics were actual world championships. This is just another tournament.

...but it's still a very nice victory. :)
The tournament needs a rise in both prestige and competitiveness (what a goddamn word to spell, seriously) and this pandemic doesn't have much to say about that. It needs to be held less often and at a better date.

I would say moving the start date 1-2 weeks and holding it at least once every second year would make it more special for the players as well. But the suit and ties at the IIHF need their ka-ching as well, apparently. And stop holding the tournament in countries the players hate to be in. No offense to the countries players hate to be in.

I mean, starting with hosting it in a Belarus? Are we going to pretend that decision didn't happen? It's like FIFA hosting the World Cup in football in goddamn... whatever that dictatorship is named, with openly inhumane slavery and murdering temperatures, so they move it towards winter. Dubai? It's an unconceivable disgrace and they just pretend it didn't happen.

Last edited:

member 305909

Finland has lost nine finals. The losses of 1994, 1999, 2001 and yesterday were bad luck. They all could have turned the other way round too.

The other five final losses left no room for excuses. Finland lost to a clearly better team.

Hockeyholic

Apr 20, 2017
Condo My Dad Bought Me
You can't possibly tell me Gerard Gallant wouldn't be an improvement in Winnipeg over Maurice. Or in Toronto over Keefe. Hell, Boston should go after him if they flame out again.

How has this man not landed another job?

To win a gold medal with this group is nothing short of a miracle.

RED ARMY EAST

Feb 14, 2010
Freddy Beach,N.B.Canada
Here is the last decade:

View attachment 444546

Yes, World Juiors included.

MoeTheHobo

Jan 24, 2017
You can't possibly tell me Gerard Gallant wouldn't be an improvement in Winnipeg over Maurice. Or in Toronto over Keefe. Hell, Boston should go after him if they flame out again.

How has this man not landed another job?

To win a gold medal with this group is nothing short of a miracle.
Have you actually seen the rosters of the other top nations? Yes, Canada's team was shit compared to what they usually bring but so was all the others as well. No miracles here

member 305909

I read today some of the comments on the sports news regarding this game.

Soeaking of sore losers a lot of comments said that there is some anti-Finnish conspiracy to stop Finland from winning.

There were also a lot of comments saying that they were relieved that Finland lost because they just can't stand that stupid hullabaloo which happens when Finland wins the hockey tournament.

swissdude

May 18, 2019
Because all the teams were really subpar, with no audience, no atmosphere and... well... not up to normal standards. The "miracle on ice" team was a bunch of hard working college boys up against the Soviet Union on full power. It's not even close.

An upset? Maybe so. But so was this whole tournament. A rollercoaster of upsets.

The tournament needs a rise in both prestige and competitiveness (what a goddamn word to spell, seriously) and this pandemic doesn't have much to say about that. It needs to be held less often and at a better date.

I would say moving the start date 1-2 weeks and holding it at least once every second year would make it more special for the players as well. But the suit and ties at the IIHF need their ka-ching as well, apparently. And stop holding the tournament in countries the players hate to be in. No offense to the countries players hate to be in.

I mean, starting with hosting it in a Belarus? Are we going to pretend that decision didn't happen? It's like FIFA hosting the World Cup in football in goddamn... whatever that dictatorship is named, with openly inhumane slavery and murdering temperatures, so they move it towards winter. Dubai? It's an unconceivable disgrace and they just pretend it didn't happen.
We all know that this will never happen. On the one hand, the date would have to be set in the years when there is neither a UEFA European Championship nor a FIFA World Cup, which would make a tournament possible only every 2 years, but even then the tournament would be held in the summer when the players are supposed to be on holiday and preparing for the coming season because the NHL would never give up its unnecessarily long regular season (which is made artificially exciting/close by awarding a different number of points per game...) so that the playoffs always last well into late June anyway.

Eye of Ra

Grandmaster General of the International boards
Nov 15, 2008
Malmö, Sweden
Yes, World Juiors included.

seniors and juniors is not the same. lets keep it seperate.

yes, in junior finland been better than sweden since 2014. but before that sweden was better.

seniors: sweden did better than finland in world cup 2016. both teams sucked in og 2018. sweden won wc 2017 and 2018, finland won 2019. so what do you mean with "what happend to sweden".

Eye of Ra

Nov 15, 2008
Malmö, Sweden

2003 and 2004 against sweden. 2003 it went to ot, carter scoring that goal...if it even was a goal. 2004 i think sweden took the lead 3-0 or something than canada hit forsberg with a dirty hit and took over the game.

Peiskos

Jan 4, 2018
2003 and 2004 against sweden. 2003 it went to ot, carter scoring that goal...if it even was a goal. 2004 i think sweden took the lead 3-0 or something than canada hit forsberg with a dirty hit and took over the game.

Carter’s goal was clearly over the line, the footage shows it clearly, are you really denying that goal nearly 20 years after the fact? Please tell me you’re joking :laugh: and the excuses are so old and tired. Learning to accept defeat in grace is a good thing.

Eye of Ra

Nov 15, 2008
Malmö, Sweden
Carter’s goal was clearly over the line, the footage shows it clearly, are you really denying that goal nearly 20 years after the fact? Please tell me you’re joking :laugh: and the excuses are so old and tired. Learning to accept defeat in grace is a good thing!

6d944b4ec9.jpg

hard to see

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad