GDT: Canada - Switzerland

NyQuil

Big F$&*in Q
Jan 5, 2005
Ottawa, ON
Former NHL D-man Mattias Norström, LA Kings, now in Swedish TV, of his opinion of the Canadian team this game: "Canada show its boring, bad side. They allowed their attitude to spill over onto their effort on the ice. They were whiny and considered they deserved better. There were divalates, things I really dislike and have seen so many times before (in hockey) in Canada."

Ouch.

Meh, someone tell him it’s a round robin game.

the5cats

Oct 7, 2007
Maybe at the moment the Swiss is the team to beat but I doubt that that will be also in the medal round. I believe that two teams with much more final experiences will arrive in the final. Experience and performance of the day will be essential. As a Swiss fan I hope very much for them that they will do their best performances in the final round. Up to now it was a great pleasure watching them.

Deep Blue Metallic

Bo knows hockey.
Mar 5, 2021
English is not my first language, so maybe I am not getting something that is easily understandable to others, but what does „divalates“ mean?
There is no such word in the English language.

The context suggests "privileged", Canadian hockey arrogance perhaps, might be what was meant, but I'm just guessing. A better translation of Norstrom's comment is required.

Reactions: BruinLVGA

BruinLVGA

CZ Shadow 2 Compact coming my way!
Dec 15, 2013
Switzerland
lazy, soft etc
Thank you.

There is no such word in the English language.

The context suggests "privileged", Canadian hockey arrogance perhaps, might be what was meant, but I'm just guessing. A better translation of Norstrom's comment is required.
Oh ok. I indeed looked it up and couldn‘t find anything, that‘s why I asked. Thanks for telling me, I appreciate it.

Reactions: Deep Blue Metallic

Chimpradamus

Feb 16, 2006
Northern Sweden
English is not my first language, so maybe I am not getting something that is easily understandable to others, but what does „divalates“ mean?
My translation was way off, pardon me for that. In English it would be something like "diva tendencies" or "diva behaviour." Having an aura of arrogance around you. That was the meaning of the word. And that was the criticism of the former Swedish NHL veteran D-man with a career within Canadian hockey.

I think he has a point. I think it's bizarre a people and a nation as humble as Canadians never feel they need to update their hockey program. It's kind of the same as Sweden and neutrality, only we are smaller and never in control since 200 years ago. Nordic, humble people living in the cold.

We could never stay neutral even though we tried, we try to stay humble even though we can't and Canadian hockey has to adapt to have a purpose or fall behind, even with huge numbers. The mindset you actually have to compete and have a strategy to keep competing and not just feel like kings by default. Total stagnation. You're finished. It's very simple, really and has happened many times in history.

Canadian hockey needs to stop thinking they're the king of the world by default and adapt some natural, Canadian humility as people in the north. It's never finished. It would be better for all of hockey if Canada actually tried to dominate, because it would rise the rest of the competition.

Last edited:

jj cale

Jan 5, 2016
Nova Scotia
Former NHL D-man Mattias Norström, LA Kings, now in Swedish TV, of his opinion of the Canadian team this game: "Canada show its boring, bad side. They allowed their attitude to spill over onto their effort on the ice. They were whiny and considered they deserved better. There were divalates, things I really dislike and have seen so many times before (in hockey) in Canada."

Ouch.
What a joke take by Nordstrom, the typical hate Canada so you make up things B.S espoused by so many over there.

Not to be taken seriously by anyone unless you WANT to, and of course so many fans in Europe want to.

jj cale

Jan 5, 2016
Nova Scotia
My translation was way off, pardon me for that. In English it would be something like "diva tendencies" or "diva behaviour." Having an aura of arrogance around you. That was the meaning of the word. And that was the criticism of the former Swedish NHL veteran D-man with a career within Canadian hockey.

I think he has a point. I think it's bizarre a people and a nation as humble as Canadians never feel they need to update their hockey program. It's kind of the same as Sweden and neutrality, only we are smaller and never in control since 200 years ago. Nordic, humble people living in the cold.

We could never stay neutral even though we tried, we try to stay humble even though we can't and Canadian hockey has to adapt to have a purpose or fall behind, even with huge numbers. The mindset you actually have to compete and have a strategy to keep competing and not just feel like kings by default. Total stagnation. You're finished. It's very simple, really and has happened many times in history.

Canadian hockey needs to stop thinking they're the king of the world by default and adapt some natural, Canadian humility as people in the north. It's never finished. It would be better for all of hockey if Canada actually tried to dominate, because it would rise the rest of the competition.
Here's a prime example of what I was just talking about in my previous post. We actually had a hockey summit after the 98 olympic failure and you think we never think we need to update our hockey program because we are so arrogant we think we can never improve.

I get it, you like to take shots whenever you can and what better time then after a loss but it's childish, it really is. You would be better off just concentrating on your own team, they have their own problems it appears.

Chimpradamus

Feb 16, 2006
Northern Sweden
Here's a prime example of what I was just talking about in my previous post. We actually had a hockey summit after the 98 olympic failure and you think we never think we need to update our hockey program because we are so arrogant we think we can never improve.

I get it, you like to take shots whenever you can and what better time then after a loss but it's childish, it really is. You would be better off just concentrating on your own team, they have their own problems it appears.
Well, whatever the result, I'm not impressed. It doesn't look modern. Is it still "let the best kids play", brutal competition in early ages disregarding how many continue playing at their teenage years? Has that changed? If it happened in 1998, how come the US hockey is surpassing you in depth if they did their reform years later? How is that even possible? How can that be satisfying results?

Canada still has the biggest stars but the depth is shrinking. And the culture still seems alot like Don Cherry in many minds within the organization. I just don't throw accusations because I feel like it.

Last edited:

jj cale

Jan 5, 2016
Nova Scotia
Well, whatever the result, I'm not impressed. It doesn't look modern. Is it still "let the best kids play", brutal competition in early ages disregarding how many continue playing at their teenage years. Has that changed? If it happened in 1998, how come the US hockey is surpassing you in depth if they did their reform years later?

Canada still has the biggest stars but the depth is shrinking. And the culture still looks alot like Don Cherry in many minds within the organizations.
Lol, last I checked we are still the reigning olympic and WHC champs, what are you guys? Last I checked we rolled over you at the olympics easily and you were not even able to make the quarters at this tournament last year, you just lost your last game here to an undermanned U.S team also.

Whatever that is, I'm not impressed. Where's your depth and victories?

You worry about your "depth". might be time for a hockey summit in Sweden, I'm not seeing a lot of gold results.

Markstrom with his comments (and I know he's not alone over there) is like your Don Cherry here with the Chicken Swede stuff.

should I take that seriously?

Chimpradamus

Feb 16, 2006
Northern Sweden
Lol, last I checked we are still the reigning olympic and WHC champs, what are you guys? Last I checked that we rolled over you at the olympics and you were not even able to make the quarters at this tournament last year, you just lost your last game here to an undermanned U.S team also.

Whatever that is, I'm not impressed. Where's your depth and victories?

You worry about your "depth". might be time for a hockey summit in Sweden, I'm not seeing a lot of gold results.
You don't get it. I'm talking strategy and long term planning, a new mindset. You're stuck in "Canada is the king of hockey and always will be." Exactly the mindset I'm advocating against. You're a face of stagnation. I don't think you realize the lengths other organizations have set on renewing their national hockey programs.

You argue like the Soviet Union in terms of its massive manpower. Casualties in hockey because people quit playing competitively still mean something.

canuck2010

Dec 21, 2010
It's hard to be humble lol. Tempest in a teapot. Human nature.

I've seen plenty of bad behaviour from plenty of teams in plenty of sports. Who cares.

jj cale

Jan 5, 2016
Nova Scotia
You don't get it. I'm talking strategy and long term planning, a new mindset. You're stuck in "Canada is the king of hockey and always will be." Exactly the mindset I'm advocating against. You're a face of stagnation.
I get it completely, you don't.

Stuck in the Canada is always superior Stuff..........pfft.

If you read my posts here and think I am stuck in that you must be drunk.

FinPanda

Team Finland 2022 WHC champions
Mar 13, 2014
Vaasa, Finland
Canadians are still better than everyone else. Maybe they can be a bit cocky. They still respect the opponent. Its good when they are overconfident since every other country will have a better chance to beat them.

Reactions: jj cale

Chimpradamus

Feb 16, 2006
Northern Sweden
I get it completely, you don't.

Stuck in the Canada is always superior Stuff..........pfft.

If you read my posts here and think I am stuck in that you must be drunk.
Says the guy upholding his famous Canadian humility by bragging about the lastest victories and using that as an argument to ignore everything I said. I think we're done here for both our sake. I don't feel like wasting my time with shallow conversations like these.

jj cale

Jan 5, 2016
Nova Scotia
Canadians are still better than everyone else. Maybe they can be a bit cocky. They still respect the opponent. Its good when they are overconfident since every other country will have a better chance to beat them.
I mean, what Markstrom said there was a joke, a clown take.

But he's giving the people what they want, I get it.

But any serious fanknows it's a nationalistic Cherry like take on things.

Says the guy upholding his famous Canadian humility by bragging about the lastest victories and using that as an argument to ignore everything I said. I think we're done here for both our sake. I don't feel like wasting my time with shallow conversations like these.
Why wouldn't I? you just went on about how arrogant and stagnant our program is did you not?

time to get some FACTS out there to show what bullshit that is.

You're quite something, you want to needle but not get needled back.

I've seen that lot's out of you guys around here. I loved that you say you can't be bothered to engage in shallow conversations such as these.......................and yet you were the one who started it. Cripes, you're something else.

Last edited:

FinPanda

Team Finland 2022 WHC champions
Mar 13, 2014
Vaasa, Finland
I mean, what Markstrom said there was a joke, a clown take.

But he's giving the people what they want, I get it.

But any serious fanknows it's a nationalistic Cherry like take on things.
I didn't even read what was said. I don't necessarily disagree that Canadians can't be "divas". They are sometimes, but its only when the coaching staff and the players are not focusing on the game.

Canadians have had success recently because they stick to the game plan anf play for the team. I've seen the names be bigger than the Maple leaf sometimes. So it can happen.

jj cale

Jan 5, 2016
Nova Scotia
I didn't even read what was said. I don't necessarily disagree that Canadians can't be "divas". They are sometimes, but its only when the coaching staff and the players are not focusing on the game.

Canadians have had success recently because they stick to the game plan anf play for the team. I've seen the names be bigger than the Maple leaf sometimes. So it can happen.
I don't see them being divas at this thing anymore then a lot of NHL players on many teams that are here................................many don't even come to play when they could, they can't be bothered.

jj cale

Jan 5, 2016
Nova Scotia
Swiss down 2-1 in 2nd period to France today and not looking good doing so. Reading the press clippings and not taking your opponent seriously perhaps? Arrogance in the works?

I'm amazed experienced people at watching this tournament don't understand the nature of this tournament, but they actually really do, they just want to throw dirt on teams they can't stand when they have a chance to do it. It's such a childish thing to do and a waste of space here.

Wish HFboards didn't have posters doing that, it would be a far better place.

Reactions: NyQuil

mosare

Dec 19, 2013
in the meantime 3:2 switzerland. 14:1 shots on goal for the swiss, i think their reaction is great ;) in the 2. period

jj cale

Jan 5, 2016
Nova Scotia
in the meantime 3:2 switzerland. 14:1 shots on goal for the swiss, i think their reaction is great ;) in the 2. period
They needed a 5 on 3 to get the motor going and swing momentum in their favour too, it just goes to show..................you can't take anyone lightly and be all wishy washy out there, all the favoured teams do that at this tournament in games they shouldn't be doing it but they do. You can go back in the history of this tournament and find loads of examples of this by all the top teams.

It's nothing new here.

NyQuil

Big F$&*in Q
Jan 5, 2005
Ottawa, ON

LOL, it’s like 1998 never happened.

It wasn’t that long ago that you couldn’t get any NHLers to come to the World Championships and now Hockey Canada has emphasized the importance of the tournament particularly for young players who want to establish themselves with the national team organization.

All I see here is a lot of false stereotypes that you want to strongly believe in reflected by a seemingly bitter average NHLer.

Canada loses a single meaningless game and people come out of the woodwork saying all the things they’ve been dying to say for years.

Stagnation? What?

McDavid? Makar? Bedard? Not worried thanks.

Last edited:

member 305909

One would imagine that if you can beat Canada you can play one hand tied behind your back against France and still not have any problems.

Apparently not so though.

jj cale

Jan 5, 2016
Nova Scotia
It’s like people have never watched the WHC before.
The same guy who brought in the Nordstrom quote here is questioning on page 4 of the sweden-U.S game if the refs were bribed.

The U.s win may not have been legitimate, they can't beat sweden fair and square of course.

I mean, his schtick is there for all to see. Why any posters here would give him a like or even think he's got something on the ball concerning Canadian hockey tells you something.

Last edited:

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad