Canada stinks???

Status
Not open for further replies.

AmericanDream

Thank you Elon!
Oct 24, 2005
Chicago Manitoba
nah, just kidding. I am actually jealous of Canadian hockey. it amazes me to see just how year in and year out no matter how talented of a team they put out there for the WJC, they are always in it till the end. it sickens me to see such a talented team that which the Americans had fail so easily. this really does show me just how much more serious and how much more willing Canada is to do whatever it takes to win. this American team should be embarassed and ashamed of their performance in comparison to, lets face it a lesser talented group of teams. This Canadian team has my respect and admiration and I hope they smack the snot out of Russia, even though their fans booed and rooted against us which is another topic that we wont get into.

Does this mean the US didnt pick the best team that they could have??? I hate to say it, but I think it does. I dont want to beat on a dead horse, but Sauer, Lashoff, Dubisnky, and Pineault all should have made this team. Anyways, congrats to Canada, you are hockey country, and us American fans will just have to again wish that we had a fraction of your hockey pride and tradition. Maybe next year we can finally get it right. till then.

Leaf_Crazy

Jan 22, 2003
Toronto
I dont want to get into this but you are going to have people from each nation not liking each other. Canada has been referred to as USA Jr and many Americans say that they will eventually take over Canada.

With that said, the amount of respect USA and Canada in this tourney as for each other is shown by the class of the Americans shaking Sutters hand and wishing the team luck as they went out for the 3rd period vs the Fins.

WhiskeyYerTheDevils

yer leadin me astray
Sponsor
Apr 27, 2005
AmericanDream said:
even though their fans booed and rooted against us which is another topic that we wont get into.

yea, i know its only a game, but some of the actions by fans is disgraceful, like booing the anthem and walking away during the american anthem

VOB

Feb 27, 2002
Michigan
Visit site
We should also tip our hats to the Russians who have been in the gold medal game four out of the past five years.

I use to believe that the U.S. will soon surpass Russia and be Canada's main rival.

NO LONGER!

Hockeycanada*

It just shows what teamwork will do for you. Even though 2 or 3 teams are more skilled than Canada, Canada found itself in the Gold medal game.

Shane

Nov 6, 2003
United Kingdom
Visit site
hockeyman28 said:
yea, i know its only a game, but some of the actions by fans is disgraceful, like booing the anthem and walking away during the american anthem

I think the problem is that a some Canadians have a bit of an inferiority complex when it comes to the US.

Hunter Gathers

The Crown
Feb 27, 2002
parts unknown
Hockeycanada said:
It just shows what teamwork will do for you. Even though 2 or 3 teams are more skilled than Canada, Canada found itself in the Gold medal game.

I attribute a lot of it to coaching as well. Canada's coaching has been absolutely incredible.

LeafErikson

Schwifty 24/7
Jun 23, 2004
Victoria B.C.
VOB said:
We should also tip our hats to the Russians who have been in the gold medal game four out of the past five years.

I use to believe that the U.S. will soon surpass Russia and be Canada's main rival.

NO LONGER!
If the Americans ever learn to play like a team, than they will be, but they're nowhere near that yet. Amazing talant, but man, selfish players.

Steve466

Apr 21, 2005
hockeyman28 said:
To be fair, TSN, who were in attendance for every second of every game, were quite adamant that there was no booing of the US anthem. There may have been a dozen or so people off somewhere that did it once, but it was definately nowhere near the scale of that old Dallas/Edmonton crap. Also, I don't know the situation in Vancouver, but when the WJC were in Halifax, I saw many people walking out on the Canadian national anthem at the game. In that case, it had nothing to do with respect, everything to do with beating the traffic.
Having said that, the short lived "America Sucks" chant was certainly uncalled for. Though it was a nice turn of events to hear them cheering Jack Johnson at the end.

Hunter Gathers

The Crown
Feb 27, 2002
parts unknown
Steve466 said:
To be fair, TSN, who were in attendance for every second of every game, were quite adamant that there was no booing of the US anthem. There may have been a dozen or so people off somewhere that did it once, but it was definately nowhere near the scale of that old Dallas/Edmonton crap. Also, I don't know the situation in Vancouver, but when the WJC were in Halifax, I saw many people walking out on the Canadian national anthem at the game. In that case, it had nothing to do with respect, everything to do with beating the traffic.
Having said that, the short lived "America Sucks" chant was certainly uncalled for. Though it was a nice turn of events to hear them cheering Jack Johnson at the end.

A few announcers of NHL games mentioned the booing of the anthem.

Red

Dec 14, 2002
VanCity
Visit site
Jon Prescription said:
A few announcers of NHL games mentioned the booing of the anthem.

They're wrong. I was at all the games the US won and the US anthem wasn't booed a single time. There was quite an obvious cheer each time. TSN is right. It's really too bad this complete lie is being perpetrated.

Hockeycanada*

Red said:
They're wrong. I was at all the games the US won and the US anthem wasn't booed a single time. There was quite an obvious cheer each time. TSN is right. It's really too bad this complete lie is being perpetrated.
Yep. Just like the "Downie slashed Johnson first" rumour. Completely false.

AgentNaslund*

you know what Canada does stinks. Maybe its Vancouver only, but booing the American anthem just shows how stupid some of the fans are, on top of that, Alot Canadian hockey fans, hate Crosby for no reason. Im pretty no Russian fans will hate Ovechkin, for no reason, and IM pretty damn sure, there will be no American fans thate will hate Phil Kessel to death and want him to fail. Canadian fans are very stupid, they will hate players for no good reason. Crosby probably have more American fans then Canadian fans.

SammyTheBull

Dec 1, 2005
AgentNaslund said:
you know what Canada does stinks. Maybe its Vancouver only, but booing the American anthem just shows how stupid some of the fans are, on top of that, Alot Canadian hockey fans, hate Crosby for no reason. Im pretty no Russian fans will hate Ovechkin, for no reason, and IM pretty damn sure, there will be no American fans thate will hate Phil Kessel to death and want him to fail. Canadian fans are very stupid, they will hate players for no good reason. Crosby probably have more American fans then Canadian fans.

So you're calling yourself stupid. Your grammar and punctuation could use some touching up, stupid. :sarcasm:

BigAl

Oct 3, 2002
Visit site
Shane said:
I think the problem is that a some Canadians have a bit of an inferiority complex when it comes to the US.

Ummmmmm....huh??? NO......trust me when I say that Canadians are very proud to be Canadian. We don't feel inferior to anyone, let alone Americans. I don't know if you have ever lived in Canada or spent much time here, but you would gather this from the Canadian people in general if you did. I think what you see is Canadian people's feelings in regards to political issues boiling over in little tournaments (WJC) or other sporting events. A lot of Canadians strongly disagree with some of the USA's wrong doings over the last few decades......so they show this disapproval through booing Americans. Just my honest opinion....but I'm thinking that 99.9 % of Canadians would give you the same answer.

Artyukhin*

The record audience for a sporting event in Canada, with more than 10-million viewers was the Canadian men's gold medal hockey win over the U.S. at the 2002 Salt Lake Olympics.

our total population in 2002 was 31,361,611

hockey is in the lives of many canadains

Canada's 5-0 gold-medal victory over Russia in the world juniour tourney Thursday drew an average audience of 3.01 million viewers peaked at 3.5 million

2003 championship game in Halifax 3.45 million viewers

as far as the booing goes i wouldnt take it to heart . no need to lump all us canadains into the same barrel for the actions of a few drugged up drunks .

as a life long canadain any american could stay in our home anytime the door is always open and you will be fed and looked after like brothers and sisters and we wont boo ya neither :)

Last edited by a moderator:

Default101

it all breaks down to team chemestry Team Canada played for the Maple leaf on their jersies even with a team full of stars last year didn't get all about themselves, the reason why the Under 17 beat team canada last year was because they spent the whole season on the same team together and there was enough team chemestry with the skill they had but at the juniors it showed as the tournament went on that half the team was playing for USA and then there was Team Schremp, team J. Johnson, team Skille etc. all wearing american jersies if they would have just worked together for 2 weeks they would have won the tournament, but they were their own worst enemy

Red

Dec 14, 2002
VanCity
Visit site
Jon Prescription said:
Even if it wasn't boo'd, it isn't like they were the classiest fans around. Telling a bunch of kids that they suck.

You've obviously never seen a soccer game. Those Vancouver fans were pretty classy IMO. All they did 'wrong' was not cheer for the Americans. How dare they! I don't see anything wrong with telling a team of adults (which these "kids" are) that they suck (and they did suck). It's happened in the NHL to players of the same age, no big deal.

Towmater14

Sep 17, 2005
OIL COUNTRY
Red said:
You've obviously never seen a soccer game. Those Vancouver fans were pretty classy IMO. All they did 'wrong' was not cheer for the Americans. How dare they! I don't see anything wrong with telling a team of adults (which these "kids" are) that they suck (and they did suck). It's happened in the NHL to players of the same age, no big deal.
How was that classy? I think that many people in the rest of the country would highly disagree. :shakehead I think what happened there unfortunately reflects on Canada as a whole and it is very embarrassing.

Red

Dec 14, 2002
VanCity
Visit site
Gforce33 said:
How was that classy? I think that many people in the rest of the country would highly disagree. :shakehead I think what happened there unfortunately reflects on Canada as a whole and it is very embarrassing.

I think most people in Canada would react the same way. Quite a lot of the fans that attended the WJC in Vancouver are from outside of BC. There was a whole bunch of interviews in the paper a few days back and they all reported about how awesome the atmosphere at the games is, which kind of means that they're not embarassed since they participated.

I still fail to see what's classless about cheering for US opponents. I cheer for Calgary opponents all the time. If I pay 100+ bucks for a ticket to a WJC game, I can damn well cheer for whoever I want for whatever reason I want, there's nothing classless about cheering. The US Sucks chant is another story but I know how that started, so I find it more hilarious. That wasn't that prevalent anyway and at no time was the US team or flag booed.

I think overall, this tournament reflects very well on Canada and I find it hilarious that people are "embarassed". It honestly comes off more like...jealousy. Besides, both the Finns and the Russians thanked the crowd for the support, I'm sure they'd disagree with this label of the fans as classless if you asked them.

You can be embarassed all you want, a lot of people in Canada are proud instead.

Last edited:

xtra

May 19, 2002
Vancouver
Visit site
So americans are pissed we cheered for Russians or the Finns instead of them?

when you cheer for one team that you like more you obviously boo the other team. its part of what people call the atmosphere at the games.

If anyone has ever been booed at a sporting event ( my whole team has in tourney where we were the worst team by a fair margin and were just not playing clean per se ;) ) you know that it doesnt bother you cause your intrested in the game (or at least should be) and not what people are saying.

And if the american players thought something was wrong with the booing then they won't make it in the NHL.

Rotting Corpse*

Sep 20, 2003
Kelowna, BC
Gforce33 said:

Anybody who made judgments of Canadians as a whole based on the actions of a handful of people at a hockey game are not worth listening to as they clearly lack perspective and maturity.

Rotting Corpse*

Sep 20, 2003
Kelowna, BC
hockeyman28 said:

Last summer I went down to Seattle to watch a baseball game between the Toronto Blue Jays and the Seattle Mariners. During the National Anthems, a group of men in front of me blatantly left their hats on during the Canadian Anthem, before removing them for the American one. It was a clear statement that was intended to be offensive.

My point? Who cares, it's a freaking song.

Sammy*

Shane said:
Actually, its quite the opposite.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad